Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

80 series question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80 series question

OK, I know you guys are going to give me a razzing but I'm used to it, I'm married. I have an Oldsmobile G-body Cutlass with a Camaro transverse muffler that I had installed about 10 years ago. This past Summer I decided to give the old girl a major tune up and installed a stock 455 in her. The auto is not a rocket but does have some guts. I do notice that whenever I step on the gas hard because a yuppie in their Beamer or Luxes etc. tries to cut me off (nobody, not even Hugo's respects a Cutlass), my Cutty sounds like a vacuum cleaner and starts to "fall off" in power around 4500rpm. Now for my question. Do you gents think that the 80 series will be too loud for an old fart like me? I keep reading things like "aggressive tone", "opens garage doors as I drive by". Keep in mind that I live in a yuppie neighborhood and I don't want the neighbors running out and throughing their Wall Street journal papers at me as I drive by! Oh yes, I've attached a picture of the old girl that the neighbor's through tomatos at as I drive by. Looks bone stock but there's a little surprise for that yuppie trying to cut me off while they are drinking a Star Bucks coffee!
Attached Thumbnails 80 series question-81-cutty.jpg  
Old 04-20-2002, 09:44 AM

your 455 is choking on it's own gas.

I'd install a dual system, off the stock manifolds if you don't want headers, and duct the tailpipes out each side (behind the wheel) with a slash cut a la factory. Stick with a pair of 50 series and cats and it won't be too loud... but if you were really worried about it I doubt you would have put a 455 in the car to begin with.

Don't worry about the yuppies and the noise... they are probably already traumatized by the whitewalls... I know I am...
Old 04-20-2002, 10:19 AM

I thought about duals but out here in Vegas, they are serious about emission's and are almost as bad as California. Also, dont forget, I'm an old fart and the thought of dual "Z-28" mufflers hanging down scraping the speed bumps as I drive in for a Star Bucks, dosen't do alot for me. I'm just looking for a little less restrictive exhaust but don't want an obnoxious sound. If you think the white walls are passe', then you should see me driving down my block with my grey hair, glasses and old fishing hat sitting proudly behind the wheel of my Cutty, giving all the neighbor's daughter's the "thumbs up" as I drive by!
Old 04-20-2002, 11:00 AM

sounds like you're making friends everywhere

It would be hard to say what the 80 will sound like. Most guys who run them here have fuel injection and put large tips on to change the sound.

I think you're just going to have to experiment.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:17 AM

Yea, my friend. The last time I experimented, we had another child. Now I'm up to 5 of the little monsters!
Old 04-20-2002, 07:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2006 Tacoma X-Runner
Engine: 4.0L DOHC V6
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3:15 LSD
Let's just say the 80s Flow is very loud and very aggressive. With a 455 that exhaust is going to be extremely loud. So it sounds like maybe this is not the muffler right for you. The guys on this board that have the 80s are the type who want their car to annoy the neighbors. At least thats me
Old 04-20-2002, 09:14 PM

Ok, thanks Trans87. So, what do you think of the Dyno Max UltraFlo. I expect any "performance" muffler to be loud when you step on the engine hard but I thought with my conservative driving that I could slip into my drive way without the neighbors noticing me. After reading between the lines of some of the posts and reading yours, I don't think I'm going to get into my driveway without the neighbors calling the home association on me! If you think that the Dyno Max won't suit my tastes, do you have any other suggestions? Like I said, I have a ten year old cheap transverse Walker with dual tail pipes on there now that really sounds quit mellow with what I would call a very subdued but not unperformance sound to it until I floor the auto. Thats when it starts to sound like a vacuum cleaner. I really think that I have heard auto's with Flomasters. They do seem to have a distinctive sound but I figure they were running headers and dual mufflers. I thought that the single transverse type would be quiter but I guess not. If I don't hear back from you, I'll Give Jeg's a call and see what kind of "sound advice" or balonge I get form them. Thanks again, my friend.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
i have read that dynomaxs are somewhat quiet until you step on it but i am not sure cuz i have never ran one
Old 04-20-2002, 11:50 PM

Where ya at?

Where are you at? Yuppie Scummerlin?
LOL just kidding. Maybe I'll come by and you can hear what the Flowmaster 80 sounds like on my car.
If someone throws a tomato at my car, well, it's red anyway.
Shoot me an E-mail and I'll be over.
Edit:
Oh yeah, you're new. Just noticed 4 posts. Click on the Email tab on my message. That will help you.

Last edited by Snowdog 91 Formula; 04-21-2002 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:54 PM

Test
Old 04-21-2002, 01:05 PM
Supreme Member

I think the Dynomaxs are quieter but that is just what I heard. You can always try a different series of Flow like the 70s is quieter but still gives a nice sound. Supposed to be mellow so you can still get that sound out of your car without waking the neighbors

By the way welcome to the board! You can listen to Flowmaster clips at www.flowmastermufflers.com and see how loud each muffler is supposed to be.

Last edited by trans87; 04-21-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2002, 01:20 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 2k3 Cadillac CTS
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:43
a little off topic, i know, but TPC at summerlin, nice golf course!
Old 04-21-2002, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the warm welcoming, gents. I thought I would be chased out of here because of my Olds, with my tail between my skinny white legs. At least thats what my wife calls them. I got some inspiring e-mail about the 8o series. I think my only hope is to drive the the Cutty like I already do, like a litttle ol-lady! That way it should keep the noise down. I also heard from a gent who said his auto has a nice and "tolerable" sound from his 80 series when the tranny shifts into overdrive. Thats good because the Cutty has OD. So, what the hay, you only go around one time so I'll just have to take a walk on the wild side and go with the 80 series. Thanks again and yes Summerlin has a nice golf course but there's to many old farts there. By the way, I'm mad at my wife cause she didn't iron my lime green pants and lost my yellow sweater! I won't be golfing today!
Old 04-21-2002, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Good choice on the 80s. I got OD too and the car isn't that oud just cruising but if you press that gas it gets loud fast. When you go through your neighborhood just try not to press the gas too hard. Just be prepared as I said that it is a loud muffler. I get lots of looks with my exhaust because it is loud and very aggressive. The thing really thumps in the morning. Good luck with the muffler. If you are still unsure you can go down to a muffler shop and have a talk with the guys and see what they have to say about a muffler. If anybody knows what the muffler is going to sound like it is these guys, they put them on all day long.