Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

cute blonde havin car trouble :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cute blonde havin car trouble :)

Hey guyzz
I've just tried to switch my 1988 TBI Fbody to 1991 TPI. Everything has started up great so far and seems to be pretty responsive... But, my engine light is constantly on. I can't seem to get the codes out of the light when I jump the two terminals at the ADL port (I'm using a SD harness from Painless). Umm, maybe it has to do with my Map sensor?!? :P I'm also getting a lot of black smoke during idle. I've got everything alse on the car to work so far (keep u're fingas crossed!!)
I have to drive down to Florida for Valentines Day (I'm such a sweetiee) ...so, help me out boyzz!!!

Keep cute...Tar.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:03 PM

talk to me

cute blonde huh? sorry i can't help out but would like to know what all you had to do to make this swap as i want to do the same.and one other thing...you do all this yourself?...can you cook too?
Old 01-23-2002, 12:03 AM

i don't really know an answer to your prob but i would suggest not driving the car. sounds like it's overly rich. how is the O2 sensor in the car?
Old 01-23-2002, 12:07 AM

hey bud that's my GF - I was just getting her to write to get some help with some codes... well it worked. I've done the swap everything went smooth the car runs and I have all my accessories... I remember you responding to my issue b4 when I was asking around about Painless harnesses I've got a eng code to work out right now but I'll get back to you to tell you what happened. ya she cooks a mean stir-fry

Old 01-26-2002, 01:03 PM

Car: 1983 Firebird S/E
:lala:
Old 02-02-2002, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
painless.....?

too bad you already spent the $$$ on a wiring harness,next time send the money to me!! auto zone sells the "code key" for .99 or free,then they will print up a code specific trouble shooting sheet for free as well,the key is nothing more than a short between the A&B pins on the ALDL and the codes flash on the check engine light,12 3x....then the codes,then...12 3x again...

try disconnecting the battery for 30 min. the codes should clear. run the engin until the CE lights up again (take out the fuel pump fuse when the engine isn't running and key is in ON position,and don't forget to put it back,...hey it happens) it is best to pull the codes without the engine running. if it still shows no codes,try replacing the computer. clean the contacts on the harnesses with a thin nail file (don't leave the metal dust behind) when replacing and be aware that it an ESD sensitive device,it was likley destroyed during the engine swap. autozone will also test your ECMs for free!! never connect an ECM with the ignition switch on or even the battery connected,free yourself of static charge and never touch the pins.

Last edited by junkyarddog; 02-02-2002 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:08 AM

I actually figured everything out- Painless is really painless - My ecm was a dud.