Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

1987 Camaro Iroc TPI Vin F

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Iroc Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
1987 Camaro Iroc TPI Vin F

Hello all

Last week I purchased my first Camaro, my wife gave me permission as my 40th bday present. I paid $400, but according to the listing, the engine was seized, but car was in overall good condition. The car does need some body work, but nothing that is horrible. After some work over the weekend, I was able to get the engine started, but it has a wicked knock.

My question:

Should I tear the engine apart to see if it can be rebuilt or find an engine at a salvage yard and swap them out. If I do swap them out, I want to find the exact same engine and keep the car as original as possible.

Thank you for your responses
Attached Thumbnails 1987 Camaro Iroc TPI Vin F-20160129_182903.jpg   1987 Camaro Iroc TPI Vin F-20160129_182910.jpg  
Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65
Re: 1987 Camaro Iroc TPI Vin F

Well at least the kids seem to like it!

Congratulations on the car & welcome to the board, you've come to the right place.

First - let us know which one you have....the auto or the 5spd version. The 5spd 305 TPI got the L98 cam in it and is a much better engine, also harder to find.

Second - junk yards are not a likely source for these, although you may luck out. You are better off searching craigslist or the local auto advertiser for one. Best if it's still in the car & you can hear it run, but somewhat risky if you buy one out of the car. There are several trusted sellers here who routinely part cars and I'm sure could help you find the right motor if you are patient.

Lastly, if you are mechanical - have at it! You don't have much to loose by taking it apart, best chance is that something came loose and can easily be corrected, worst case, you'd have had to pull it out anyways.

Best of luck with the car!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Iroc Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: Automatic

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
Well at least the kids seem to like it!

Congratulations on the car & welcome to the board, you've come to the right place.

First - let us know which one you have....the auto or the 5spd version. The 5spd 305 TPI got the L98 cam in it and is a much better engine, also harder to find.

Second - junk yards are not a likely source for these, although you may luck out. You are better off searching craigslist or the local auto advertiser for one. Best if it's still in the car & you can hear it run, but somewhat risky if you buy one out of the car. There are several trusted sellers here who routinely part cars and I'm sure could help you find the right motor if you are patient.

Lastly, if you are mechanical - have at it! You don't have much to loose by taking it apart, best chance is that something came loose and can easily be corrected, worst case, you'd have had to pull it out anyways.

Best of luck with the car!
Thank you, I was very excited when I found this car. I do have the Automatic.

I am somewhat mechanical, but I have a good friend who is a mechanic and will be helping me. I have always wanted to rebuild an engine, but I also want to get it on the road as soon as possible. (Dying to drive it)

My other option would be to buy a professionally rebuilt engine from a website. I have been searching and have found some that were pretty reasonable in price and come with a warranty.

If anyone knows of someone who has an engine exactly like mine and is within 100 miles of Washington DC, please send them my way.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 87 Formula, 91 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi, 305tpi
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

If you can find someone locally that has one you can hear running, get it from them. 305s are generally fairly cheap. If you want to go down the rebuild road, you will need to take your time. It is a great learning experience for you and the kids. If the crank is too far gone you might want to find a machine shop and have them rebuild it for you. Good luck and welcome!