Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

staring a overhaul and i need HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
staring a overhaul and i need HELP!!

so i just got my first f-body camaro about a month ago (86 IROC-Z) its kinda beat but a good start for a street/racing project i picked up a 4-bolt 350 for it that im going to send to the machine shop soon, im going to go with a full rocker set up as well as twin turbocharge and manual swap it (was thinking t56 for the 6-speed, thoughts?) this is my first big v8 project its going to take a long time and i got a lot of questions so please let me get some good experienced help

what or whos internals should i get(383 build)?
should i keep and build stock heads or buy new ones?
cam?
what do i need to do to prepare for tuning? my tuner uses chrome
and can anyone give me a rundown on a engine bay tuck job?
anything you think i should know going into it?

im sure ill think of more questions but for now i just need these answered
Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: staring a overhaul and i need HELP!!

twin turbocharge
Not a good plan for a "first" build.

Learn to build a motor, assemble a car, make it reliable, and TUNE IT; then, and only then, tackle that rĄcer buzzword.

383 is a good idea, although maybe not for a first build. See above.

4-bolt main is not an issue one way or the other. Frankly I'll take "factory roller" (with all the parts still there) or "400" any day of the week over "4-bolt main".

Yes a T-56 is a good way to go.

Not sure what chrome has to do with tuning... some of my tools have chrome plating, but I haven't noticed it making much difference to the outcome. What tuner do you have that's chrome? Or, is this a radio part you're talking about?

Not sure about "tuck job"... I can tell you how to build motors and tune em and set up drive trains and win races, but I have no clue what that even is, let alone "rundown". I'll leave that to someone else.

Stock heads run the gamut from almost worthwhile to total garbage. As to whether to use whatever you end up with, that would depend on what it is. Probably not worth spending much time effort or money on though, given the economics of all that, these days.

I think you should know that whatever you think right now that it's going to cost, it'll cost twice that by the time you're done; and that you'd best be prepared to spend an amount equal to what you put into the motor, on the rest of the car. Chassis, suspension, rear axle, tires, etc.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: staring a overhaul and i need HELP!!

its not my "first" built just my first chevy v8
iv been building and boosting ricers since i was 14and i messed around with my ford 5.0 but now im upgrading to the project iv been thinking about since i was a kid
i know how to build a engine but the engines im used to are generally referred to as jdm
of course im going to break in and tune my newly built engine before putting under the stress of boost

a tuck job refers to tucking wires and other components in order to free up space in the engine bay to make it easier to access said engine and components generally done during a engine swap

chrome is a tuning program that(in my area) the top dyno tuners are using to tune efi engines
please dont be a smart *** im looking for good insight and advice and it just looks bad on this forum

and yes i know about cost... i think most good mechanics know that a build like this is going to cost more than there car blue books for but thats not why we do it is it?

i appreciate your advice though

how durable is the t56 (how much horse power can it hold up to)?
what heads do you recommend for a turbo build?

please dont make me regret joining this forum keep it professional