Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

83 Trans Am Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 Trans Am Engine Swap

Well first off I am new here so I havent seen everything on this site so I apologize if there is 100 different threads here about my problem. But what has happened to me is I traded my motorcycle for a 83 trans am. The car sounded okay until I got about 100 miles on it and a nasty rod knock started. So I took it right to the shop and had my buddy that I got the car from come over and we pulled the motor. He had only had the car for a couple weeks to a month and it just happened by chance that the rod went out when i got it. After taking the engine out we saw that the motor had the worst build job ever seen. it had rtv on the head gasket plugging the cooling ports and a ton of other problems. I just happen to have a 305 block punched out 30 over with decked ported and polished 1.94 valves and keith black silv-o-lite pistons sitting in the garage. The car came to me with a performer rpm intake and a performer 600cfm carb. It just so happens that a buddy of mine has an extra performer rpm cam sitting in his garage brand new. What I want to know is will that .488/.510 lift be too much? I was told that the pistons i have with the heads should get me 9.5-10:1 compression. what do you guys think? is this a good idea or should i try to go with a smaller cam?
Old 09-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: 83 Trans Am Engine Swap

extra performer rpm cam sitting in his garage brand new
Think about the implications of that for a minute:

Forget that it's your bud, or that you need to rebuild a motor, or that you need a cam, or anything else about YOU. Instead, concentrate on THE CAM. Clear your mind of YOU and think about THAT CAM and its current situation.

Brand-new cam. Not in a motor. Sitting on a shelf. Got the picture clearly in your mind?

OK.... now, WHY do you suppose that nic new highly desirable widely sought-after high-$$$$ brand-name cam is SITTING ON THE SHELF instead of in a motor???

Is it because the owner COULD NOT WAIT to get it into his motor? Whaddya think?

Ya think it being a total POS that turns a motor that otherwise has potential, into a TOTAL DOG, might be involved somewhere???

And of course, a whole bunch of people will jump in here and chime in about how they had one and it "ran" "great". But what they WON'T tell you is, HOW MUCH BETTER it ran with that cam compared to ANY other. Because if they did, they wouldn't be telling you how "great" that one ran.

Bottom line: leave it sitting on your bud's shelf and get something decent instead of ruining any possible chance you might have of a favorable outcome this time. I'd suggest a Comp XE262 or a Lunati 60102. With the recommended valve springs and associated hardware. NO cheeeeeeeeeeeeeping out on it; whatever pennies you save now, will be more than offset within the first week of driving a gutless snail with no leave whatsoever, impossible to get to idle, drinks gas like a broken hose, pile of excrement that the "RPM cam" will turn your car into.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well actually it was on his shelf because he was going to put it in his 383 that he was building then he sold the car that the 383 was going to go in and has a half built 383 sitting in his shed that he decided to put a roller setup in. he used one in his last car and swears by the cam and I have seen them work well when used with the intake in larger motors. I just dont know how well this will work with the small 305.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

So "he swears by it" and yet he spent .... HOW MUCH to put something else into his own motor? Really?

That cam is THE GARBAGE. It's bad enough in ANY motor, but it will render a 305 even more neutered than a larger one that can more readily withstand it.

Don't do it. You will HATE IT.