Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Trying to figure out what engine I have.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Trying to figure out what engine I have.

Originally Posted by travis401
with hydraulic lifters, its zero lash + 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

and the thing that broke is the heater bypass valve. it actually activates to stop coolant flow when set to max ac, not open on warm like torque said though. but that just splitting hairs really. it makes the heat work and thats all that matters. you can permanently bypass it like i did, or replace the part.
eh

splitting hairs

the "hot coolant" (doesn't that sound kinda silly) enters the core when the lever is slid to warm

If you have a leaky heater core, slide te lever to cold and you don't need t have the A/C on or anything, no coolant will flow as long as you have that temp valve

that's what i did until i got around to replacing the heater core which i replaced 2 months prior

with respect to a noise, are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro, Holley 600 series.
Engine: 350 w/350 TPI heads
Transmission: 90+ 700R4
Axle/Gears: not sure

My left tail pipe has a faint sputter but when it does sputter it blows out warm air instead of hot air. The previous owners backed into something and its bent to the right a little bit. I wouldn't put it past it. How do I check without the seafoam?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxZ28xx
My left tail pipe has a faint sputter but when it does sputter it blows out warm air instead of hot air. The previous owners backed into something and its bent to the right a little bit. I wouldn't put it past it. How do I check without the seafoam?

when i say exhaust leak, and probably when most say it, we aren't concerned about near the mufflers

we're talking about where the header is attached to the cylinder head or where the , and I shudder to type this, the stock restrictive, performance robbing exhaust manifold is attached

or, where the y pipe attaches to the collectors

leaks there could sound like a tapping to the untrained ear
Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro, Holley 600 series.
Engine: 350 w/350 TPI heads
Transmission: 90+ 700R4
Axle/Gears: not sure

Im buying headers for it, probably just getting a whole new exhaust. But what would this leak sound like, and would it go away if I adjusted the valves? (because I adjusted the valves and the tapping went down a little bit, it got way quieter than before).