Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

help deciding my engine please

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 rs camaro
Engine: planning bbc
Transmission: planing t56
Axle/Gears: planing moser 12 bolt
help deciding my engine please

well I just bought my 3rd third gen! Its a 92 rs that they tried to descise an a z28 lol its at the paint shop right now to get the city off my *** apparently you can only have so many cars at your house in houston? Well to the point after much research iv decided to go big block! Going to start with a l21 or l29 I would prefer the l21 because of the cnp set up and I can eisily switch to lsq pcm but I can mod the l29 if I can't find one lol. What I haven't decided is how I'm going to build it. First off if I can find some cheep aluminum heads to keep weight down untill I build it for power then id like to go that way also what would be a good bore/stroke for a long lasting 150k plus miles probably tt baked by t56 with tt id imagine 1000 hp wouldn't be to hard. My plans for the car are open road racing and street duty in 110+ houston heat and zo6 killer looking to go 200 mph in it right now though id like to just get it rujnning with fi bb power would like to get weight similar to what I'll eventualy end up with so I can build rest of the car as close to 50% weight distribution as I can then build the motor later any and everybody please weigh in all opinions welcom including negative let me know what you think oh and by the way I want it to be able to be able to pass emisions in tx (provided the tech doesn't notice its a bb)
Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Re: help deciding my engine please

I just realized how confusing that must have been lol my primary concerns atm are fitment emissions and getting as close to final build weight as possible. Then the rest of drivetrain and suspension and interior is built up i will modify the engine for power to complete my goals
Old 07-21-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Emissions - it's a light truck engine, never certified for use in passenger cars. DOA.

Fitment - Gen VI BBC, pretty much mounts like a Mark IV.

50/50 weight distribution - Cut the cowl and firewall, mount it as far back as you can and still leave room for your feet. In the latest Super Chevy magazine, they have a project (SC LSx, in this case) where they were relocating the engine rearward, went to the hardware store and bought a wheelbarrow to cut and weld into the firewall for the new engine location. Classic hot rod stuff (said it was the cheapest option, as the wheelbarrow only cost them $40).
Old 07-21-2010, 04:27 PM

Emmisions- i kno this you kno this lol im hopeing the tech doesnt great idea on moving it back didnt even consider this. Does anyone know the clearance from the valve covers to the stock hood? Going to try to keep it make my own intake and such also iv read about lowering the engine as well how is this accomplished? Please excuse my spelling and grammar by the way im on my phone
Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM

by the way for the intake im thinkin a verry low profile dual quad and a modified tpi box thing (dont know the name) or hsr box thing to keep it as low as possible( i want to avoid tbi as much as i can) maybe next swap meet i will find some OK heads to use not looking for lots of power right now just weight and fitment
Old 07-22-2010, 04:07 PM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

You're not gonna find cheap aluminum BBC heads period.
For a stock 454, Edelbrock's Performer TBI heads are good.
for cheap aluminum heads that'll support 1000 hp twin turbocharged, look to the Patriot heads. They'll be hell to live with on a 7.9:1 454, but they'll be great on a 9.5:1 496. Just don't expect them to work on a used stock 8.1L.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM

lol should have been more specific im lookin for cheep alu headsright now just for weight going to uograde engine last gonna try the swapmeets aswell thinking once i build it big stroke and only bore 30 over wats stock bore/stroke and max stroke that will last?