Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Finished Our Move to ABQ, NM -- Back to Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finished Our Move to ABQ, NM -- Back to Camaro

Hi Guys.. Here is my problem:

Finished the physical aspects of my V6 (1989 RS) to V8 (1993 Z28) swap prior to moving to ABQ., i.e., A/C, beat cross member, wiring….yada yada yada. Look, smell and taste just dandy. But, my temp gage is reporting that the car is over-heating. I have made the determination that the gage is working (change this if you can find a more plausible test). I tested the gage by disconnecting the connector from the sensor and grounding it… The gage went to the extreme right. The other little tidbits that I have done include:
1. Flush the system. Nothing worthy of reporting came out of the system although I did not a bit of rust prior to the installation (This may or may not be important).
2. I bleed the air from the system by removing the radiator cap and running the engine until bubbles stopped coming from area where you put the radiator cap.
3. I replaced the radiator cap…18 psi to 18 psi.
4. I replaced the serpentine belt (had to do this anyway).
5. I replaced the thermostat (Don't think I needed to do this., but what the h***).
6. Rewired both fan to come on as the primary… The fans I am using are aftermarket and I fear that they may not be producing enough CFM to cool the set-up (no clue!).
7. I am also using an aftermarket coolant recovery sub-system. The bottle is much smaller than what came with the car. I needed the room under the hood for the "puter".
8. Replaced the water pump during the initial install (still in LA) because it was bad.

Other notes: Fans are wired into the computer. As best as possible I (re)designed my system to work as designed for the 93/Z.

Things that may help you help me:
1. Engine reportedly had 75K miles on it when I got it.
2. There was noticeable rust and debris in the water pump when I replaced it.
3. Temp gage is 2 years old.
4. Placing the computer into diag mode turns fan(s) on.
5. A/C is wired and connected but not charged.
6. Fans come on within the specified range and just don’t' go off.
7. Auto X-ray shows a temp of 174.6 (always)
8. Auto X-ray shows that the car is always in 1st or 2nd gear…never 3rd or 4th
9. This bad boy will light-up the rear wheel (he he he!). That was an accident!
10. TCC is not connected yet (not sure how).

That’s all I have…

Thanks for your help -- if any of this made any sense at all.

m-t

Old 11-05-2001, 07:23 PM

Any comments would be helpful....I mean, I am not like asking you to solve the problem just help me get going in a logical direction.

Thanks

m-t
Old 11-11-2001, 10:47 AM

Found the problem...not sure how to fix it. I have a short in one of the connectors that connect to the solid state panel or the panel itself. Moving the instrument panel causes the temp gauge to work properly. Unless someone has a better idea, today I am going to take my dash apart and start hunting...

v/r
m-t