Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

older built 350 swap into 1986 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
older built 350 swap into 1986 Z28

I found a 1986 non-IROC Z-28 for sale with a bad engine. The young man bought a 700r4 automatic (new) and installed it. He had some other tweeks going on and something major happened to his engine, he thinks.

I can get it for cheap and a lot of work has already been done.

I found another fellow selling a built 350 including a nice 4 barrel carb of some sort... might be good. He called it a hot rod build but from the photos it may have been done in his home shop. I'll go see him and check it out... not forking out the dough blindly. It's cheap enough, I'm not too worried.

I perused the other threads in "engine swaps" before posting and learned, that an older 350 without the TPI going into a 1986 Z28, before the change... is a lot easier... if that poster was correct.

I also found some very spiffy headers second hand, from a fresh rod project that some poor fellow wrecked. I'm seriously considering this. I think I would probably have to swap out for a performance fuel pump eventually?
It's in tank, of course, and I'm not looking forward to that one.

If the extra-parts I need to buy aren't too expensive (I'm on a Veterans Pension and it's not much).... if it's a fairly simple engine swap... I could get a fun little car for a reasonable amount of cash.... see? Then I could "murder it out" flat black, as the kids say... maybe pick up some blue haired gals down at the Golden Corral Buffet, eh?

That's the question. I'm an old guy and retired now... never did get to do the "hot rod" thing when I was a kid.... SO, I'm not as smart as any of you all about this stuff.

Glad I found your site. Any suggestions, warnings, technical support, thoughts?

Thanks

Dan

edited to add: ATTN: Moderator - brand new here and I hope I've posted this appropriately - thanks

Last edited by FatOldBastard; 01-19-2010 at 03:58 AM. Reason: note to mods
Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Welcome aboard thirdgen.org, and thank you for your service.

You're on the right track. With a carb'd "hot rod" build, you need to be aware of things such as cam overlap. A lumpy idle cam doesn't play well with the sensors (primarily exhaust O2) needed to run TPI. Also, the stock TPI hardware is a bit flow restricted and RPM limiting, so if you don't know what cam is in this 350, your best bet would be to replace it with one known to work with TPI. Also, make sure the headers have provision for the O2 sensor (are they long tube or shorty headers?).

If you're considering keeping the carb, there are some things to be worked through. (And, for the record, the only emissions-legal carb is the factory computer controlled type.)

The in-tank fuel pumps eventually will fail, the typical approach is to replace it with an aftermarket unit like the Walbro 255. It fits where the factory one went.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: older built 350 swap into 1986 Z28

Welcome Aboard!

Any SBC V8 up to 1993 is going to be a simple swap of the engine block, as all SBC are the same for all intensive purposes since the 50's. After 1993, there are some differences which I'm not too familiar with - these were all computer controlled LTx or LSx engines and there would/could be some other things to consider with them, but I'm no expert on them.

But between the 50's and the early 90's, most all SBC's were basically the same. The biggest difference comes in the heads - you'll need heads with accessory bolt holes to mount the alternator, p/s pump, etc. Not a dead requirement however, you can use non-accessory heads and get old school accessories with engine mounts and intake mounts instead of head mounts - but that's added work and expense for heads that aren't great anyway.

So, as an example - my car has a 350 from 1969, built with heads from the 70's with accessory holes. The 70's heads suck (smog heads = large chambers = low compression), but the engine builder used 10:1 dometop pistons to help increase the compression ratio for some added power.

If you are in an emission strict state like Cali or Colo, you can forget it - the car has to remain stock equipment, have all original components attached and functioning, pass a visual as well as a smog inspection. And, federally it's not legal to swap out either - but the feds don't look under the hoods. You can swap motors, but the original smog equipment must remain, includingt he carb I think - check with local inspection laws.

The original intake system of the new motor to swap in woldn't really matter - you mentioned "other than TPI" - the only difference in a TPI motor and any other would be the cam, a TPI motor will have a TPI computer friendly cam, and a TBI motor would have a TBI computer friendly cam - but since we're swapping motors, swapping out a cam before the install of the 'new' motor would be easy!

I think you're talking about bolt hole differences in intakes - some had holes at a different angle than others, and thus requires swapping intakes or working the holes larger to accomodate the different angle of the bolts to the block - but if a motor comes along at a good deal, intakes are only $150 - $200, so not something to be too concerned about.

Headers: ONLY headers designed for 1982 - 1992 Camaros and Firebirds will fit in these cars - any old set of chevy headers will fit the motor, but not the car - so buyer beware there.

Fuel Pump: If the car has a mechanical fuel pump, then everything's extremely simple - just hook up to the new motor/carb. If it has an in-tank pump, you just have to make a few simple wiring provisions to make the in-tank pump run with key on, and add a RETURN STYLE fuel pressure regulator like the Mallory 4309 that lowers the fuel pressure from the in-tank pump down to the 5psi the carb needs, and your set.

Hope that helps! Let us know if we can help more.

This is the place for ALL the 3rd gen answers.

Last edited by camaronewbie; 01-19-2010 at 12:31 PM.