Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

swapping out LB9, dropping in 420 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swapping out LB9, dropping in 420 stroker

Okay, I found a guy locally who blew a piston on a 420 stroker in his 86 camaro. The shortblock needs to be rebuilt (pistons, rings, bearings). The engine comes with 190cc AFR heads (I thought a little small for a 420, he said the engine is built for torque)a 284 288 roller cam (how wild is this cam guys? I don't know cams)for the intake section, we're running an aftermarket base (I think accel) larger diameter long tube runners (I think arizona speed & marine), a ported plenum, and a 58mm Arizona throttle body. To add to all of this is a NOS plate kit, 30 lb SLP injectors, and an accel DFI to keep things under control.

My car is a 19K mile bone stock 92Z with a 305, auto, and 2.73 rear... I plan on pulling the 305 in its entirety and putting it on a stand.

I was going to take all the accessories from the 305, and use them on the 420, included in the deal are edelbrock headers, cats, y-pipe and exhaust to the rear axle (no muffler and tailpipes)

The engine is internally balanced and uses a 350 balancer (helps the street sleeper aspect, was a street racing setup)

What other issues am I going to face here guys? I obviously need plugs, wires, the guy is giving me a speed density harness (I already have my own, but figured I'd use his)

As for the Accell DFI, will it reset to a default setup from not having power for months on end (gonna do this over the winter, summer is time for driving) or will it remember the way that it was tuned?

A MSD 6AL is included, what sort of distributor would I want to run with this?

Eventually I think I'd like to switch to a miniram, afr 220cc heads, a high revving cam, and hooker supercomps with a 4 inch mufflex (gonna be a year or two down the road)....in its present setup, will this engine run strong (at least from what I've meantioned) I figured with the heads and intake setup, the engine would fall flat on its face over 5000 rpms due to the displacement.

I"m guessing I'd need a high torque starter to twist this engine in comparison to the 305 also...Can anyone think of any issues I haven't already mentioned?

This is going to be a long drawn out ordeal, but I've wanted to turn my car wild for a while, I fell into this deal (3600 for everything mentioned plus alot of other crap, a 700r4, 3.55 posi rear, springs, shocks, cold air, and lots of other 3rd gen parts (these can help me make back some investment I guess)

I know I'm getting myself into alot of headaches, just wanted to draw on everyone else's first hand experience and get some ideas.

Steve
Old 06-24-2001, 03:43 PM
Tas
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for a engine that big I would think a short runner intake would be good like a Mini Ram or a single plane holley EFI intake($255).

------------------
-Tas
'89 Formula WS-6

305, TBI, auto, 14x3 chrome flat based open element with K&N, Milodon 160* thermo, functional Formula hood, cross-flow Flowmaster, '99z28 rear pipes and tips....

Soon to be installed:
Hooker 1-5/8" 50 state legal headers, Dynomax 3" I pipe (PN 44063 and 43248), Catco 3" cat, and injector spacer.

Super GRK_Taz World
F-Body Dual Exaust
EFI & Intake Options
AOL IM: superGRtaz