Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

should i build a engine or just buy a turn key chevy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should i build a engine or just buy a turn key chevy?

hi well iv been wanting to get a new engine for my 87 iroc and well first i was going go with a base zz383 then build that but that will be just to expensive and then i decided to get a base 350/290hp engine from gmpp but i was going add performance parts just like 2k extra worth in components but now im thinking i might not be able to do this.reason why is because im only 12 and i have had NO mechanical experience with cars only apperance lol.

but if i was going buy a turn key i was just going go with the ram jet 350 from gmpp or should i go with a stealth ram engine? i would rather build the engine so i can get more power because i would just add better components but im just not rlly sure if i can. of course i was going buy a couple of the step by step books on building but im afraid i'll get to confused and be stuck. ethier way i go i was going have a shop take out the old 305tpi and drop in the engine and do all the tuning and wiring and all.

i figure the turn key engine would be more expensive but how much of a diffrence would there be if i say built the 350/290 engine but add the components they did on this artical http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r..._CrateThis.pdf
along with a full holley stealth ram system. along with everything to get the engine running properly. and how much more would it be to get a ram jet 350 along with everything else to get it running. so what do you think? thanks everyone
or is it cheaper to go with the fast burn 385? or is it more expensive to change from fuel injected to carbed? i would actually love to have the fast burn 385 other then the ram jet 350. i like the sound and looks better of carb's then fuel injected. so what should i do.

i want good overall power for both street drag racing and freeway racing. also about how much is a full exhuast system? also the car would be daily driven but nothing a whole much just probaly a couple miles some days long race's and a trip thats around a 100miles just every 6 months or so. thx

Last edited by sapphire irocz; 09-02-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:43 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: should i build a engine or just buy a turn key chevy?

i am also thinking of buying a bottom end (though a 496 shortblock). depends on if you have the resources of a machine shop that you can trust i guess. i haven't built one myself yet but wanting to learn.

side question: you're 12 and have an 87 iroc? :-) wish i could have started that young.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:12 PM

Last edited by sapphire irocz; 09-03-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

12yrs old...already has a car...and "has" the money to debate their options???

Not to be mean.....But concentrate more on your schooling than a future car right now. Your basic spelling needs work, besides punctuation & capitalization, so I can only assume some other, more advanced areas, might need some work too. Jr. High is nothing compared to what your gonna see in High School.

For a 1st car, start with a basic engine. While high horsepower might sound nice? Power is nothing without control.

Last thing you wanna do right off the bat driving, is finding out the hard way, that you can't control the high horsepower. Even stock horsepower is more than most 1st year driver can handle GOOD.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:53 PM

lol,with the motors your talking about I would just take 1700 or so and pay someone to build the engine. Then take the rest of the money and find a way to make money,lol,or save it. A fast car is nice,but it doesn't make money,and odds are you won't get back the amount you put into it.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM

o

Last edited by sapphire irocz; 09-03-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by sapphire irocz
not to be rude but i just have NO intrest in school and i still get pretty decent grades but some times i just cant concertrate i'll just start dreaming about having that small block in my camaro or a big block 69 camaro. i do ALOT better writing/typing when i actually have a real reason to i wrote a 3 page story about a 69 ss/rs camaro and i got top points you could get for everything and im going be working on a full atleast 10page story about every generation of camaros 1st-5th gen. sorry im more of a camaro fan then a firebird fan. both are still very nice though. and well iv driven the iroc several times around my neighborhood going around curves at 40mph and straight strips going 80mph ya risky i didnt crash or nothing but im banned from driving from the police. iv driven large suv's, large trucks, medium suv's, small cars, large cars, sport cars, pretty much everything ranging from off road suspensions, street supensions, and sport suspensions and diffrent engines. and currently i actually dont have the money im saving up and hopefully going have atleast some money by mid highschool. and im not only thinking of engines and power im askin around about suspensions tires and brakes. trust me im experienced i might not be good in school but i know about life trust me iv got good parents.
is it even legal for a 12 year old to drive where you live? i thought the driving age was 16 for a license, 14 years old to get learners permit where you need someone to drive with you...

if you're driving illegally, i strongly advise you stop as it is very stupid to be doing the things you are talking about. it's obvious you are inexperienced and just proves why the driving age is what it is.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by tekkitan
is it even legal for a 12 year old to drive where you live? i thought the driving age was 16 for a license, 14 years old to get learners permit where you need someone to drive with you...

if you're driving illegally, i strongly advise you stop as it is very stupid to be doing the things you are talking about. it's obvious you are inexperienced and just proves why the driving age is what it is.
"To get a license in Oregon, one must be a resident of Oregon; Be 16 to 17 years of age (click here if 18 years of age or older)" etc. etc......... Since the police have already caught you..."im banned from driving from the police" there might even be a restriction on you getting a license at 16. Plus, if you don't finish school,? No license for you...."Provide proof of school enrollment, completion or exemption if you are applying for an Oregon driving privilege for the first time"

I bet 16 would be Provisional; license, 17 full license. That is the way it here in TX.

Just because someone can DRIVE, does not mean they can drive GOOD, or has the knowledge & experience to react appropriately, to bad road conditions/other drivers, etc.

If your parents are letting a 12yr drive around like you say you have (which I suspect your just maing up a story anyways)......I won't say what mu judgment is, on "parents" like that.

Last edited by Stephen; 09-02-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 PM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 3.1 MFI
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Sapphire irocz, I think you need to look at a few things.
1) In most states, you have to be in school till age 18 to get/keep/have a license. So you have a long way to go to be out of school; at the less your interest in school should be to keep your license.
2) Where are you going to be getting you money to build your ride? You need a High School Diploma just to work at McDonalds, so I would not drop out of school.
3) You should talk to your parents about the engine, that is going to be going into your Camaro, cause they may be 2nd thoughts when they find out how much insurance is going to cost for a 383. I'm pretty sure your parents are not even going to like the insurance for the 305.
4) If you have been banned by the police at age 12 for driving while underage you will most likely not be able to get a learners till your 17 and then you have to go a year of that before getting a Class C.
I like that you are into camaros but you need to just go with school now and then get back to the car in high school. There is nothing wrong with a 305 engine in high school and later.

Last edited by RS Reaper; 09-02-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 AM

Last edited by sapphire irocz; 09-03-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:01 AM

Old 09-03-2009, 01:05 AM

Old 09-03-2009, 01:35 AM

sapphire, if you arent driving the thing, what is your justification in putting in a bigger engine? there would be no point for you if you aren't driving for another four years. save your money and wait till you can enjoy it.

also, if your parents are letting you drive and you are only 12, obviously there is something wrong there. no need to get hasty with people here.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 AM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: stock...

this is an easy answer.. the 5.3 liter LM7 ..same as the 6 liter LQ4 just a tad smaller and can be bored up to 5.7 i believe, possibly stroked to 6 liter or at least close.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ine/index.html

check it out. if you know what to look for you can get a really good engine for around 500 bucks. why more people dont go this road is beyond me.