Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

swapping a 305tpi to a 350tpi

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swapping a 305tpi to a 350tpi

hi well i have a stock 305tpi and well currently im only 12 so i have no job of course and well i'll be getting a job as quick as i can so i can start moddin on my 87 iroc and iv decided that i want to keep the tpi setup but get a 350 engine. so where do you think i should start? say if i had 5k to spend and im talkin engine, suspension, exhuast, and everything other then the body and interior since they are still in good condition and im keepen her a sleeper. so im thinkin first get a 350 engine and what engine do you suggest that i wont go to much over 5k for the parts and labor includin installin the tpi setup? i probaly wanna start off with bsic fuel injected 350 then when i get more money get better internals. also i want a exhuast that is a lil louder then stock like that will turn heads from just a bit away on idle but have a true american muscle rumble on idle and rev. and what rear end is the best for stoplight races ( dont care about mpg ) and how much is the rear end. but what can i get for around 5k with a 350 parts and labor. thx everyone! GO THIRD GENS!!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: pending install 383 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: swapping a 305tpi to a 350tpi

what will be the use of your vehicle, daily driving, street/strip, what fuel economy and HP/TQ rating are you looking for
Old 08-30-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by mackjar66
what will be the use of your vehicle, daily driving, street/strip, what fuel economy and HP/TQ rating are you looking for
well se im only 12 and im wanting a rlly beatiful powerfull beast for highschool and it would be daily driven usally just not a long distance. defintly a street car, fuel economy i dont care well more the better but isnt a issure with me its not goin be driven to far rlly, and hp torque hum well i want to be able to beat a new base model corvette in a stop light race and since im going more for quarter mile times like thing i wanna have plenty of torque but i still want it to be able to kick *** like atleast a 02 ss's on a freeway. i dont wanna be spending 20k here just something around 10-15k to begin with no supercharger and upgraded internals yet just start out with all motor but still with plenty of power but being under 15. will a zz383 from gmpp be a better choice? but will that with a supercharger fit under my stock iroc hood which i will want to keep
Old 08-30-2009, 02:59 PM

GM crate motors are always a good start, you can save some money however if you learn to build it up yourself. Take some time and research builds that chevy high performance magazine has done along with hot rod mag, ect. The zz383 has a 9:1 compression so could hold a supercharger up to 500hp depending on the connecting rods that they use. However, the stock TPI system is good to around 420BHP give or take a few HP. I would suggest using the Holley stealth ram intake and fuel rails and a good tune. if you are running an automatic transmission make sure you buy a good torque converter that will work with your cam and as far as rear end a 3:73 or 3:42 gear ratio will give you your high way speeds. A lot of guys swap to the 4th gen rear or swap in a 12 bolt rear end. Check out the following site, http://www.advancedinduction.com/ I plan on using their topend package for my 383 TPI build to go into my 91 firebird. I picked up my 1990 350 TPI motor with wiring and computer from pull a part for $225. Machine work 600, internals $984(powerhouse from enginekits.com all forged ) AI topend kit 1850 shipped so if you have a whole motor and can build it yourself you can use a lot of that 5000 for suspension upgrades(BMR,Spohn,UMI all good companies) and transmission upgrades
Old 08-30-2009, 03:28 PM

GM crate motors are always a good start, you can save some money however if you learn to build it up yourself. Take some time and research builds that chevy high performance magazine has done along with hot rod mag, ect. The zz383 has a 9:1 compression so could hold a supercharger up to 500hp depending on the connecting rods that they use. However, the stock TPI system is good to around 420BHP give or take a few HP. I would suggest using the Holley stealth ram intake and fuel rails and a good tune. if you are running an automatic transmission make sure you buy a good torque converter that will work with your cam and as far as rear end a 3:73 or 3:42 gear ratio will give you your high way speeds. A lot of guys swap to the 4th gen rear or swap in a 12 bolt rear end. Check out the following site, http://www.advancedinduction.com/ I plan on using their topend package for my 383 TPI build to go into my 91 firebird. I picked up my 1990 350 TPI motor with wiring and computer from pull a part for $225. Machine work 600, internals $984(powerhouse from enginekits.com all forged ) AI topend kit 1850 shipped so if you have a whole motor and can build it yourself you can use a lot of that 5000 for suspension upgrades(BMR,Spohn,UMI all good companies) and transmission upgrades
so do ya rlly think i could do this even though i havent had any mechanical experience? i dont even have anyone to help me though. well see i was going to free up the tpi system and im more aming for lowend end torque i wanna be able to keep up on the freeways but im more forcused to the stoplight races. i rlly wanna go with the tpi just has great low end torque and just need to free up the system right? ya its the 700r4 auto tranny which i think i should keep since its mostly going be drag racing. so how you recomend something like the 3:73 about how fast will i be capable of going with that rear axle? so how much money am i looking at if i get the zz 383 base then install parts myself on the engine and then get the engine dropped in at a shop and let them do all the confusing tuning, electrical, and all that i was going to just get the engine together? i need components that are strong enough to let a supercharger and nitrous beat on them. also how much is for the axle and the exhuast and to have them installed? and see i have NO tools and how much am i expecting on spendin for tools? im not goin buy no big lifts or nothing i just mean the hand tools to put all the components together. but will my tranny work with the engine though? how long do you think this would take?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM

wow thats a lot of ?'s so here we go, the average shop will charge you 7-8000 to build up a complete turn key motor, so lets say you buy the zz383 you can use your all of you stock intake and you can get the computer and buy the larger 350 injectors and other parts from a pick and pull i.e. air intake ect, lets say you get the motor completely put together and your tranny put on the motor, average shop cost to install a driveline is 8-12 hours labor depending on the shop. You can get a cheap basic hand tool set like a craftsman 100 piece that will be sufficient to add the additional parts to the crate motor. the crate is good enough for 6-8lbs of boost and average tuning cost is around 500 for dyno tune. plus 200-300 for the larger injectors. Do some research here on different engine builds. 425HP will put you around 350whp or a little more which is a good runner. a 3.73 gear always toped out at 135 in my mustang, ya i used to own one
Old 08-30-2009, 04:00 PM

wow thats a lot of ?'s so here we go, the average shop will charge you 7-8000 to build up a complete turn key motor, so lets say you buy the zz383 you can use your all of you stock intake and you can get the computer and buy the larger 350 injectors and other parts from a pick and pull i.e. air intake ect, lets say you get the motor completely put together and your tranny put on the motor, average shop cost to install a driveline is 8-12 hours labor depending on the shop. You can get a cheap basic hand tool set like a craftsman 100 piece that will be sufficient to add the additional parts to the crate motor. the crate is good enough for 6-8lbs of boost and average tuning cost is around 500 for dyno tune. plus 200-300 for the larger injectors. Do some research here on different engine builds. 425HP will put you around 350whp or a little more which is a good runner. a 3.73 gear always toped out at 135 in my mustang, ya i used to own one
ok man you have been VERY helpful but how much will it be for the parts to complete the engine? and the tranny i have now will work with this engine right? how long do you think it will take to add all the parts if i had all spare time? is there any books out there that show how to step by step put together the engine? all i have is a haynes maintenance manual and ALOT of mags from chevy, hot rods, muscle cars, and even 21 centry car magz lol. should i do anything to the tpi system? with the 3.73 gear what will i be able to take on in there stock form? what gear will give me a better top speed but still good for drag racin? HOW DARE U OWN A MUSTANG! I'LL HAVE TO GO OVER THERE AND OPEN A BIG OL CAN OF WHOOP AZZ ON YOU BOY! no im jokin lol. again thx man
Old 08-30-2009, 04:12 PM

say you get the crate on a monday and your 305 and auto is pulled out already, everything from the 305 will work on a 350. how long it takes you to take off one then put on the other is up to you. and how long the shop takes to install your motor. I can do a complete swap in a weekend but I have the experience and the tools. Autozone carries complete how to build SBC books on their shelf like $15. The 3.73 seems like a good all around gear ratio for what you want most stock gears are lower then that ratio so they will work well with the tpi setup low to mid torque. The problem with the stock TPI is that it wont breath real well with a 383. thats why most guys go with the Holley stealth ram intake. If you want something custom check out the custom 74 intake at www.nitrousoutlet.com Most common 3 gens in the high 11 second 1/4 range put around 400hp to the wheels
Old 08-30-2009, 04:23 PM

say you get the crate on a monday and your 305 and auto is pulled out already, everything from the 305 will work on a 350. how long it takes you to take off one then put on the other is up to you. and how long the shop takes to install your motor. I can do a complete swap in a weekend but I have the experience and the tools. Autozone carries complete how to build SBC books on their shelf like $15. The 3.73 seems like a good all around gear ratio for what you want most stock gears are lower then that ratio so they will work well with the tpi setup low to mid torque. The problem with the stock TPI is that it wont breath real well with a 383. thats why most guys go with the Holley stealth ram intake. If you want something custom check out the custom 74 intake at www.nitrousoutlet.com Most common 3 gens in the high 11 second 1/4 range put around 400hp to the wheels
ok thing is how do i get the engine pulled out will i need to get it done at a shop and then have the car towed to the house or can at the shop keep the camaro there and while i work on installing the components they work on exhuast and rear end? then i bring in the engine to have dropped in? like say if i had 2 weeks avalible and just get it done quickly but correctly how long is that weeks, days, hours to install all the components? should i get any better internals then they recommend? i rlly wanna keep the tpi system and what parts of the tpi should i free up and how much are the parts and do they have books for this? so ur talking if this is done right i could be runnin with the z06's???
what exhuast system do you recommend? i want a system that is more quite of a rumble on idle but has a loud mean deep rumble on high rev. will i be able to keep the iroc hood even if i have a supercharger on the 383? so with the open up tpi i will have about 400rwhp? how much torque are we talkin? THX MAN!
Old 08-30-2009, 04:41 PM

It really depends on the shop that you choose. You should find a local reputable shop that specializes in what you what. I went with the magnaflow catback system on my car I paid 350 for it but average is 435 then check out summitracing.com for exhaust and other parts. I would go with a complete MSD ignition system. I would do a true 3inch. I would not keep the stock TPI system it doesnt breath well enough for a 383 stroker thats why you should look into the holley intake. a procharger system or vortech system will fit under your hood no problem Make you own decision on the exhaust sound check out youtube clips and the actual manuafacturers websites to see if they have any sounds clips from their exhausts i know magnaflow does. If a shop were to do the complete build with parts and everything installed you are easily going to break the 12000 to 15000 mark. Talk to a local shop on their install prices and do as much yourself as possible. The holley intake will still give you that low end torque you are looking for. Total shop build time 30 to 45 days depending on part availability. If you do supercharge that car you will have to rebuild your transmission at some point or buy one from TCI, performance automatic
Old 08-30-2009, 04:54 PM

It really depends on the shop that you choose. You should find a local reputable shop that specializes in what you what. I went with the magnaflow catback system on my car I paid 350 for it but average is 435 then check out summitracing.com for exhaust and other parts. I would go with a complete MSD ignition system. I would do a true 3inch. I would not keep the stock TPI system it doesnt breath well enough for a 383 stroker thats why you should look into the holley intake. a procharger system or vortech system will fit under your hood no problem Make you own decision on the exhaust sound check out youtube clips and the actual manuafacturers websites to see if they have any sounds clips from their exhausts i know magnaflow does. If a shop were to do the complete build with parts and everything installed you are easily going to break the 12000 to 15000 mark. Talk to a local shop on their install prices and do as much yourself as possible. The holley intake will still give you that low end torque you are looking for. Total shop build time 30 to 45 days depending on part availability. If you do supercharge that car you will have to rebuild your transmission at some point or buy one from TCI, performance automatic
ok ya 400 bucks isnt that much. ok not to be rude but can u give me a reason why the holley is better and can you give me a link to the spes and info about it plz. so say if i went for the vortech system how what s/c do i buy because if i do go with the holley intake it wont have tpi anymore. also gotta ask is the holley intake is that a carb or is it still fuel injected? ok thx finally narrowin down my questions! lol
Old 08-30-2009, 05:14 PM

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...roc/index.html

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/alte...gal-whats.html

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/br...PI--Satin.HTML

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co.../photo_11.html

ok there are 4 links to the stealth ram EFI intake. there is a little difference in the setup vs the TPI however with a s/c your intake needs to breath better. With the 383 stroker the stock intake alone kills the motor past 4000rpms. Add a s/c and you definietly need more breathing room in the intake and heads. As a susgestion get your motor put together with the stock intake and break the motor in. Then if its not enough power for you then do the supercharger and go from there. remember whether its a street or strip care its about the total package engine, trans, rear end, tires, suspension. you can have a 600hp motor but if the trans cant handle the power then it breaks, suspension wont hook up ect ect is tons of info on here and online take your time and do it right the first time once you break into the 10 second range plan on spending a lot of money, 11.5 cars are common on stock 350 short blocks. check out that Advanced induction performance site and give them a call, but decide what you want and what you can handle in your first car build. 425hp motor is a lot for a first performance motor
Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...roc/index.html

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/alte...gal-whats.html

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/br...PI--Satin.HTML

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co.../photo_11.html

ok there are 4 links to the stealth ram EFI intake. there is a little difference in the setup vs the TPI however with a s/c your intake needs to breath better. With the 383 stroker the stock intake alone kills the motor past 4000rpms. Add a s/c and you definietly need more breathing room in the intake and heads. As a susgestion get your motor put together with the stock intake and break the motor in. Then if its not enough power for you then do the supercharger and go from there. remember whether its a street or strip care its about the total package engine, trans, rear end, tires, suspension. you can have a 600hp motor but if the trans cant handle the power then it breaks, suspension wont hook up ect ect is tons of info on here and online take your time and do it right the first time once you break into the 10 second range plan on spending a lot of money, 11.5 cars are common on stock 350 short blocks. check out that Advanced induction performance site and give them a call, but decide what you want and what you can handle in your first car build. 425hp motor is a lot for a first performance motor
thx how you say to break it in like do you mean with the stock intake then add the stealth ram and then the s/c? even if i dont get the supercharger for a while should i still add the stealth ram? do you know any other websites and books that will help alot with what i need to learn and all? thanks a whole lot and thank your for actualing takin your time and telling me what i need to know.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM

definitely add the holley then the s/c after you put around 3000 miles on that motor. That the average break in period recommended for any new motor. as for reading material try some of these

http://hpbooks.carshopinc.com/produc...d/29286/HP1253
http://www.mre-books.com/chevy/engines/tpi.html
http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s..._ID=3649&DID=6
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/1004/index.html

thats just a fraction of what it out there go to the local parts store and see what they carry also for books. Talk to the guys at hawksthirdgen.com checkout fbodyonline.com and other forums. a crate will save you a bunch of time since you have little experience. also call dougherbertracing.com they have a ton of experience. also that holley intake will let that motor breath better

Last edited by mackjar66; 08-30-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: stealth intake
Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM

thx can you show me what stealthram i will need? there is tons of them and i just dont know what is the 1 that will work. so ok if i wasnt busy with anything else how long do you think it will be to add all the components?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z28 Camaro
Engine: 350 carbureted (swap from 305 TPI)
Transmission: 700R4 rebuilt with shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I have just recently bought a 1986 camaro that has a blown motor. The body is in great condition, and it has a lot of extra options that came w/ the car that makes it nice. It has t-tops, a very nice stereo system that was installed in the car, tilt steering, delay wipers, power windows, power locks, power hatch release. It has currently has the blown motor in it, which is a 305 TPI engine. I was wondering if we could pull the blown 305 and swap in a 350 longblock engine and just bolt the tpi back on. Now there are many questions I have about doing this.

1. Will the intake bolt on the same on the 350?
2. The blown 305 has hooker headers, will the headers bolt onto the 350 or is it different?
3. Will all the accessories, and brackets bolt right on the same way on the front of the engine, or will i need to get new brackets for the 350 block?
4. Will I need bigger injectors?
5. Will I need a different ECM?
6. Do I need a bigger radiator?
7. I have a 700R4 transmission located, are all 700R4 trannys the same?
8. Will I need a bigger fuel line, or just use the one from the 305?
Is there anything else that anyone can think of that could need to be changed before i can put a 350 long block under that TPI from the blown 305?

In your opinion, would you say that it is worth it to put in a 350, or would we be better off just putting a new 305 back under the hood?
I would still like answers on all the other questions however.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 PM

ok i do not know about the diffences on the 700r4 tranny no clue, everything from the 305 will work with the 350, it is defenitly worth the time. ECM needs to come from the 350 motor bc it has 22lb injectors instead of the 19lb on the 305. fuel rails should be the same. being that u have an 86 i believe that there is 2 parts to the ecm one on the firewall and one under the passenger side kick panel. I found that info a while back here on this site. look for threads that discuss EMC ECU swaps
Old 09-06-2009, 02:17 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z28 Camaro
Engine: 350 carbureted (swap from 305 TPI)
Transmission: 700R4 rebuilt with shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Ok, thanks for the help!
I will look up some of the threads on the ECM and ECU swaps