Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

305/350 swap:Second cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:22 PM
RiV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
305/350 swap:Second cam

Hi, first time posting here but have knocked around here over the years. I'm a novice engine builder and had a buddy help me with the current engine build.

The project: 1988 Pontiac Formula which has been converted into a Knight Rider replica car (82-84 body parts)

I have swapped the 305 tpi engine with a late 60's 350 block, and for the most part have a completed tpi swap over.

Parts installed:
a mild street 268 cam -comp cams 12-56-04 flat tapet

New crank

New bearings/seals: crank bearings, cam bearings and all seals engine related

new set of heads with the biggest valves? 2.02/1.60 can't remember cfm 58-64cc/150-160?( I do know they weren't the best flowing heads)the heads came with performance roller rockers 1.5 ratio(fat red iodized type) and strenghtend rods, hydralic lifters(none roller type)

Performance chip/module to replace stock chip( that is supposed to deliver 300+hp with above combo.

Various other purchased 350 sensors for the swap: Knock sensor, Electronic Spark Control module are the only ones I'm sure I replaced.

Now for the reason I'm here posting. I've had the cam go down presumeably due to the #2 cylinder lifters being overtightned from day one(first two lobes worn off). So 250 miles later I've got the new cam and lifter set reinstalled(minus the timing cover and the rest of the top end atm)with better intentions of having the lifters properly set and preloaded ect. So the main q's are.. while I'm at this stage in the top end rebuild... I'm considering installing the 22lbs or 24lbs injectors that the chip programer suggested I do the first time around. Is there a set thats reasonable you can direct me to. I'm worried about getting ones that work or don't work for my harness plugs and year ect... so if you can ease my stress that would be great.

There's a lot of things I would do differently now on any future engine rebuilds/new builds. I'm not going to list them for the sake of how long this post is already. I just want to get this first engine rebuild of mine back on the road. Last Q. Shoud I simply set the lifters loose and let the engine run for 30 mins til they pump up before adjusting the lifters at all? It was noisey first time with the exhaust headers off so I can see why the "by ear" procedure didn't luck up for us(I didn't do them due to inexperience) the first time. I got the procedure for using top dead center and fealer guages on certain sets of lifters while you rotate the engine into position.. but I do not want to over tighten lifters ever..ever again after this. I really do try to do everything right the first time.

thanks in advance for any advice on this build or links to injector sets that will work for this build.

Last edited by RiV; 08-01-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:47 PM
RiV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 305/350 swap:Second cam

well I just got the cam in and timing chain all setup and bolted up.(Dots pointing to each other between the cam gear and crank gear). Lifters/rods installed setting preload on #1 cylinder valves/lifters @tdc followed by rotating the engine doing all sets #8, 4,3,6,5,7,2 in that order. I adjusted all rod tension til slop was out followed by resistance to the turn then a preloading 1/2 turn which sank the valves in the lifters a touch on all. I hope thats correct.

Anyway the guy that programed my prom at tbichips.com said that 22lbs injectors would be "fine".. so I orderd 24lbs performance injectors hoping that it would still run ok and have room for more horspower mods in the furture without buying another set again(going from 22 to 24#)..otherwise I'll order another chip.

Going to finish install of fuel rail,the intake runners, and throttle body using my old 19lb injectors because I'm inpatient and can't wait till the new ones come in 7 days from now. Time is a vertue so I may talk myself out of having to do more uninstall reinstall work by waiting on the injectors.

Thoughts?