Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Is it possible to build a TTA motor from stratch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Trans Am GTA; '84 Trans Am
Engine: L98 350TPI; 5.3 LSx built
Transmission: N/A; T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt; 3.73 10 bolt
Is it possible to build a TTA motor from stratch?

I was wondering if it was possible to build a 3.8 V6 Turbo to TTA specs and hook it up to a manual just for kicks. If I do this project I want to know where I can find parts to build the engine, how I can hook a five speed to it and what I would need to do to make it go into an F-body.

Don't worry, if I do get a TTA I am not going to swap the tranny just for the hell of it. If I do go through with this I am going to do it with a common model like a base Firebird setup to look like a GTA or something. Basically I want to make a Clone of a TTA with the exception of a Manual transmission instead of an auto.

I have heard of people hooking up manuals to the 3.8 turbo engines and burning rubber through the first four gears. However, I don't think it has been done with the F-body. And with the performance they got with an auto one can only wonder what they can get with a stick.

Any suggestions.....?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 AM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Its posi.... :)
Re: Is it possible to build a TTA motor from stratch?

Well it is not impossible to do but its gonna be difficult. first thing you would need to find is a 82-87 3.8 block. or 81-84 4.1 block. i would try to go with 86-87 3.8 for better oiling. the valley has holes cast into the center for better oil return. You will also need to have the block drilled and tapped to accept the turbo oil return in the front. no biggie any machine shop should be able to do that. After you have the block tapped and honed or bored, you will need to pick up a set of new or used Turbo rods. in 1981 the changed the connecting rods in the turbo motors to #763 , they have 2 dots on the side. they are much stronger than the N/A 3.8 rods. also should pick up stock turbo crank for 3.8 or if you use a 4.1 they came with same crank as turbo 3.8 as far as heads go i think the TTA used a FWD head to clear the ac box, im not sure of the cast number off the top of my head. it could have been off the 3.3 FWD buick motors. Your gonna have to get and Adaptor plate to convert from the BoP bolt pattern to whatever trans your gonna run. also you gonna have to have to motor balanced since it is external balanced. Now while i have run T-5`s in the past and i think they are pretty strong if your gonna run alot of boost the t-5 probably wont last to long. im just starting my swap i never worked on a turbo buick before but everyone has to start somewhere GL with the build should be alot of fun. Here are a couple of websites that ive used for good info and parts.

http://www.gnttype.org/
http://www.casperselectronics.com/mm...ry_Code=8687GN
Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

A T56 would be a better choice.

Chances are, the T5 will break at some point, and you'll be putting in a T56 at that point anyways so.....Might as well do it right the first time.

I wonder what kinda mpg the T56 would get ya? The TTAs get pretty good mileage to begin with, with the 4-speed auto so.....
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
This isn't quite the same as building a Buick turbo from scratch, but it has some good information for the project. https://www.thirdgen.org/buick-3.8L-...ne-swap-f-body
Old 12-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73

Check with these guys:

http://www.taperformance.com/

They're one of the Buick V6 experts.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 193 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by L695speed
If I do go through with this I am going to do it with a common model like a base Firebird setup to look like a GTA or something. Basically I want to make a Clone of a TTA with the exception of a Manual transmission instead of an auto....
I don't know if it would really benefit you though, as some of the MAGNA guys here in New Jersey have talked me out of it last year when I almost did the very same thing. Other than miles per gallon, there really isn't beating a stalled automatic w/trans brake. But anyways, here's some inspiration for you, a base Firebird converted to a TTA....;

Name:  BlackTTA-2.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  108.9 KB
Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
I don't know if it would really benefit you though, as some of the MAGNA guys here in New Jersey have talked me out of it last year when I almost did the very same thing. Other than miles per gallon, there really isn't beating a stalled automatic w/trans brake. But anyways, here's some inspiration for you, a base Firebird converted to a TTA....;
Hmm not bad. I m more after a street machine than a dragstrip car. Which is why I am sort of going towards the manual swap. Nothing like going through the twisties with a manual (providing the police can be avoided). Then again being a poor broke College student don't help either. It took me forever to get as far as I did with the L69 car that I have now.

The TTA clone is something that I thought of as something fun to do. Hopefully I get a real one before their prices hit the stratosphere. Thanks to all for the insight sofar. Lets keep it coming.

As for the L69 car, the original motor (was blown up) has been swapped for a LG4 with the L69 acessories. All she needs is antifreeze, a look over, and a charged battery. I am hoping to start it up and take it for a test drive when I get home providing the weather holds up. If it'll run I will look into hooking up the rest of the exhaust and putting it back on the road legally.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

If your looking for a nice, well priced TTA..... Yes, the original chassis miles are on the side but....brand new engine, the original is wrapped, stored & comes with the car) Leather all redone, suspension fully rebuilt. If I had the $, I'd buy it without giving it a second thought.

Yes, he's a good friend of mine I've know for years, but I'm not "pushing" it, just because he's a friend. He doesn't take short cuts. He does it right the first time, rather having something break & spending more $ in the end to "fix the fix".

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fire...ml#post3943560
Old 12-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Stephen
If your looking for a nice, well priced TTA..... Yes, the original chassis miles are on the side but....brand new engine, the original is wrapped, stored & comes with the car) Leather all redone, suspension fully rebuilt. If I had the $, I'd buy it without giving it a second thought.

Yes, he's a good friend of mine I've know for years, but I'm not "pushing" it, just because he's a friend. He doesn't take short cuts. He does it right the first time, rather having something break & spending more $ in the end to "fix the fix".

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fire...ml#post3943560

Trust me If I could get a loan for 13 grand I would jump at this. Theres another one on Ebay for 15 grand that is literally 40 minutes north of me and there used to be a tired runner that was in need of some serious TLC a couple hours south that was on Ebay for a while. I will probably get one in a couple years when I get out of school and have some money to burn. Yet before they go sky high.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 193 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by L695speed
Hmm not bad. I m more after a street machine than a dragstrip car. Which is why I am sort of going towards the manual swap. Nothing like going through the twisties with a manual (providing the police can be avoided). Then again being a poor broke College student don't help either. It took me forever to get as far as I did with the L69 car that I have now.....
To be honest, you might be better off slapping EFI as well as a turbo on the existing SBC setup that's already in the there, especially if all your really looking for is a fun, low psi, street driven vehicle. If you have your heart set on the Buick though, go for it, but cost wise, I'd stick with what you already have. Good luck....

-Rob