Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

ls1 fuel rails

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ls1 fuel rails

those with ls1's in your thirdgen did you use the older 97-98 return feed style and fit them with A/N's to tie into our stock fuel lines or did you run a aftermarket setup like fast and aeromotive?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

i used stock 99 fuel rails, with a aeromotive regulator with all bradied line from the tank, and a new steel line for the return from the regulator. seems to work perfect so far.

if you still have the original fuel lines it would be a ton easier, but i had to start from nothing
Old 06-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Supreme Member

original? how do you mean? i have a set of 99 and 01 f-body. i'm just wondering if it would be easier to pick up a 97-98 vette return style ls1 rail system. you can pick one up from gm for under 200 with the fittings and a regulator where as the aeromotive regulator, rails and fittings are a little less then twice as much. this is for the daily car so i don't need to plan for any serious horsepower, i just want something that will work.

all suggestions are appreciated.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

i ment the original fuel lines from the camaro....the ones that come from the tank. i didnt have any of those left, so i had to start from scratch.

i like my aeromotive setup, but i think your right, it probably would be a little over kill for a daily driver. i think the earlier style setup would work fine.

you going to have the car done for superfest?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Supreme Member

lol... well lets just say it won't be in paint although it will be painted.

yes i have all the original lines back to the tank. i'm just looking at the typical engine bay setup. looking for the easiest setup and this is for the vert, not the hard top. the ls2 is pretty much ready to go but i don't have time to finish the paint.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
I bought the regulator kit from thirdgenresource.com It wasn't much more than had I pieced all the parts seperatly. It came from them fairly quickly and has worked well with stock thirdgen Fuel Injection lines.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

just a shot in the dark but would you happen to have a picture of the setup? thanks for the input.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Here is a picture of the engine bay with it installed. I wish I had a closer picture of it, but I think you can get the general idea. The 3/8" OE fuel feed hooks directly in the bottom, and the return comes out the side, through the steel braided line and into the 5/16" OE return line. Then the single feed from the other side is the other steel braided line, going to the returnless rail.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member

thank you for the picture, what factory rail is that then and i assume that's an aeromotive regulator? are you happy with all of it? it looks nice.

i'm just trying to decide if its worth the extra to throw in some billet rails and aeromotive regulator or just pick up the early ls1 gm package deal. either way i still need to come up with fittings and line but the gm 97-98 ls1 return style comes with rails and regulator for under $200 new where as the aeromotive billet rails and regulator add another $150+.

for a daily driver that doesn't have plans for mods i'm not sure if it's worth the extra just for the looks. greatly appreciate the input!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Supreme Member

The fuel rail is the stock '99 LS1 F-body rail. The "kit" that F-body motorsports sells comes with everything you need to adapt your stock steel fuel lines on the body, to a single line returnless rail. So all you need to purchase is the regulator "kit", which runs about $250. The regulator itself is a work of art. It looks good and functions well. The steel braided lines looks good and its real steel braided lines, not just the cheesy covers. If I do another LS1 swap on another one of my cars(which is likely), I'm going to use the same regulator.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI (Now HSR)
Transmission: 700R4 by Probuilt
Axle/Gears: 3:27 9 Bolt Posi W/ Discs
this may seem like adumb question but why not use a stock LS1 fuel tank, sending unit and all. I think it should work since its internally regulated due to the returnless fuel system they used on the Ls1 cars.I was thinking about this the other day when I was trying to decide if I wanted to go LS1, my plan was to get rid of the TPIs stock return line all together, put a fourthgen tank and sending unit in and adapt the TPIs pressure line to it and then to the stock fuel rail and it should work in theory.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Car: 1986 Irocz- Houstons Fastest Street
Engine: 408 LS1 w/ 2 stage
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: 3:73,3850 lbs , best of 9.92 @ 138
Originally posted by meridius
this may seem like adumb question but why not use a stock LS1 fuel tank, sending unit and all. I think it should work since its internally regulated due to the returnless fuel system they used on the Ls1 cars.I was thinking about this the other day when I was trying to decide if I wanted to go LS1, my plan was to get rid of the TPIs stock return line all together, put a fourthgen tank and sending unit in and adapt the TPIs pressure line to it and then to the stock fuel rail and it should work in theory.
because i think it would be easier to just convert the front end of the lines with the regulator the way the other guy did it. getting a tank, lines routing it all seems like a lot more work then just using a regulator. i am going tommorrow to pick up my stuff and finish rounding everything together to do this swap. i am going to use a 6.0 block and heads with a ls6 intake and a small cam for starters. i already have a extra ecm and extra other stuff from building my wifes 99 so i think with the proper prep ill make this somewhat painless. the only other ? i have about the fuel system is when using the painless harness, how do you splice power to the existing fuel pump.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:10 PM

Car: 1986 Irocz- Houstons Fastest Street
Engine: 408 LS1 w/ 2 stage
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: 3:73,3850 lbs , best of 9.92 @ 138
Originally posted by GMTech
The "kit" that F-body motorsports sells comes with everything you need to adapt your stock steel fuel lines on the body, to a single line returnless rail. So all you need to purchase is the regulator "kit", which runs about $250. The regulator itself is a work of art. It looks good and functions well. The steel braided lines looks good and its real steel braided lines, not just the cheesy covers. If I do another LS1 swap on another one of my cars(which is likely), I'm going to use the same regulator.
i checked it out. so you dont have to worry about the return line with this kit. just connect to the feed?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Supreme Member

for starters it's less then $200 for a return feed early gen ls1 setup with lines, some adapters and adjustable regulator straight from gm. bolt it up and your good to go.

in my instance though i already have true braided line fixed for tpi with a nice walbro setup and my tank is new/good condition. if i were in need of a new pump or anything from the motor back though i think it would be a good idea yes.

Old 06-08-2005, 02:27 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by GMTech
The fuel rail is the stock '99 LS1 F-body rail. The "kit" that F-body motorsports sells comes with everything you need to adapt your stock steel fuel lines on the body, to a single line returnless rail. So all you need to purchase is the regulator "kit", which runs about $250. The regulator itself is a work of art. It looks good and functions well. The steel braided lines looks good and its real steel braided lines, not just the cheesy covers. If I do another LS1 swap on another one of my cars(which is likely), I'm going to use the same regulator.

thanks for the resonse, that also sounds nice. i'm just wondering what gains or ease of use would be over doing as i mentioned before with the original gm equipment. i'm certain the regulator isn't as nice but it would save some pennies i suppose?

the gm setup comes with the 97-98 ls1 return feed, a few fittings and their version of an adjustable regulator. all that's left would be braided line from the rails to the factory thirdgen lines and the fittings to adapt such. the big key i suppose here would be the regulators, while you save some going the gm route for a pretty much stock setup it would work but i'm sure many would want a nicer regulator?

for my particular case i just want a factory working setup as of right now with the cheapest route to get it on the road. what do you think?

Last edited by Kandied91z; 06-08-2005 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by xtremeirocz
i checked it out. so you dont have to worry about the return line with this kit. just connect to the feed?
The stock feed line screws into the bottom of the regulator. The regulator kit comes with a braided line to go from the return port of the regulator to the stock return steel line.

I'm not trying to pimp fbodymotorsports, just letting you know I found it to be a good product

As for using GM's rail and regulator, I don't know if its better, just as good or worse because I don't know anybody that used it.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Kandied91z
for starters it's less then $200 for a return feed early gen ls1 setup with lines, some adapters and adjustable regulator straight from gm. bolt it up and your good to go.

in my instance though i already have true braided line fixed for tpi with a nice walbro setup and my tank is new/good condition. if i were in need of a new pump or anything from the motor back though i think it would be a good idea yes.

Ohh I see, I misunderstood then I thought you may have had a complete donor car for the swap. I guess thats what I get for trying to put my input in on something I just had as a brainstorm and plus I made an asumption, which I should know never to do since I work on cars for a living.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
kandid, the board to search and ask for LS1 swap stuff is the conversions and hybrids forum at ls1tech.com..... lots of info there.

personally, i prefer the cleaner (and it happens to be cheaper) look of ONE fuel line going up front with quick connects between the hardline and the fuel rail.... then running a vette filter/regulator in the back of the car where the OEM fuel filter was.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Ohh I see, I misunderstood then I thought you may have had a complete donor car for the swap. I guess thats what I get for trying to put my input in on something I just had as a brainstorm and plus I made an asumption, which I should know never to do since I work on cars for a living.
there was no smart *** comment there so leave the negative attitude out. i asked for opinions and you gave one which doesn't necessarily fit my needs but gives a good idea and may be useful for someone else, hense the thumbsup.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MrDude_1
kandid, the board to search and ask for LS1 swap stuff is the conversions and hybrids forum at ls1tech.com..... lots of info there.

personally, i prefer the cleaner (and it happens to be cheaper) look of ONE fuel line going up front with quick connects between the hardline and the fuel rail.... then running a vette filter/regulator in the back of the car where the OEM fuel filter was.
makes sense.. appreciate it.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Kandied91z
there was no smart *** comment there so leave the negative attitude out. i asked for opinions and you gave one which doesn't necessarily fit my needs but gives a good idea and may be useful for someone else, hense the thumbsup.

Im sorry if I came off like that, I was actually being sarcastic and poking fun at myself. I didnt mean to sound as if I had a bad attitude, in fact I have all the respect in thr world for your work and I am sorry if I offended you in any way or came off as being a jerk about anything.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Supreme Member

not a problem, just didn't want you to think i was picking apart your answer.

can someone please tell me where i can get this fitting/adapter?? if i could find out what this is called or where to get just this i would be set...

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails ls1 fuel rails-92_camaro_ls1_fuel_system_1_ezr.jpg  
Old 06-10-2005, 07:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
that one looks like the russell adapter.

if you want to use AN fittings, it works.

personally i like the OE style fittings... they dont stand out too much like the aftermarket stuff does.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:23 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: Yes
Engine: Many
Transmission: Quite a few
if that is the standard GM push-on style adapter, Pure Choice Motorsports has 'em. They have a bunch of lines and kits too, might have what you need. We used an LT1 conversion kit for my brother's LT1, the kit came with a 3/8 and 5/16 push-on to AN, and two pre-maid braided lines. nice stuff.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MrDude_1
that one looks like the russell adapter.

if you want to use AN fittings, it works.

personally i like the OE style fittings... they dont stand out too much like the aftermarket stuff does.
right now i'm just worried about adapting... i can fix the looks later once i have it up and running. russell sells something like that though?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by jwscab
if that is the standard GM push-on style adapter, Pure Choice Motorsports has 'em. They have a bunch of lines and kits too, might have what you need. We used an LT1 conversion kit for my brother's LT1, the kit came with a 3/8 and 5/16 push-on to AN, and two pre-maid braided lines. nice stuff.
do you have a link or a part number by chance or is it easy to find on their site?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi
The push on connectors are also sold at AutoZone, and O'Rielly auto parts. I bought a 5/16 and 3/8, gave about 10 bucks a piece for them.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Ace

Car: 92 quasar gta
Engine: Nothing
Transmission: Nothing
Axle/Gears: 4.11s
russels is a hardline 3/8" to -6 an fitting.. thats what i used for my lines...

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...86&prmenbr=361

the other one's are the slip on ones that work like a stock fitting to -6 an.. much nicer but a bit more and hard to get in canada

here's what i did, not that its really applicable to your app but if anyone else is looking in here for options...

stock 99 ls1 gas tank

using the stock plastic lines to the 99 fuel filter... from there it goes into a T fitting where the return line attaches and goes back into the tank...

i took the stock 92 third gen line and hooked it up here...

i cut the return line and cut the evap line hooking them together by the filter...

at the front i got two earls adpaters for the stock lines to -6an hoses... i connected a hose to the evap.. ran it up and around by the brake and up into the evap cylinder...

i then made a -6 an hose with female ends ... added the compression russell fitting to the fuel rail and tightened the hell outta it... i then ran the hose from the feed line into the rail...

dont have to mess with pressure or worry about something else breaking and i have evap

the fuel filter didnt fit perfect as its straight instead of off to the side.. but good enough for me
Old 06-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Supreme Member

excellent info, if anyone else has anything to add please keep them coming.

Klortho any idea what brand the fittings were, makes it easier to ask for them since my autoparts stores haven't upgraded to picture menus yet.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Hmm...I would have to check and see if I still have the packaging, mainly they are simply GM fuel line quick disconnects, or that's what I asked for. If you have an O'Rileys they are in the fuel line repair section, and I think AutoZone may have them behind the counter.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

The ones circled are what I am referring to. Disregard the rusty strut tower, I had a brake booster that was leaking and it will be taken care of when the entire car gets painted.
Attached Thumbnails ls1 fuel rails-fuel-lines1.jpg  
Old 06-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

thank you.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:28 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Yes
Engine: Many
Transmission: Quite a few
heres where we got 'em, bottom of page. cost about a hundred bucks with all the stuff shown. you can probably get just the connectors, but it doesn't list the specific part number.

http://www.performanceplumbing.com/FuelLineKits.html
Old 06-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Line Kit for LT-1, LT-4 or LS-1 picture your talking about?

thanks for the link.