Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Check out the new engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005 | 01:16 AM
Supreme Member

Check out the new engine

Hopefully it'll be going in tomorrow, depending on the weather.

Also, how many miles is recommended for break-in for the rings and new bearings? 1000 miles typical for moly rings?

Specs are in the sig
Attached Thumbnails Check out the new engine-engine1.jpg  
Old 04-13-2005 | 01:17 AM
Supreme Member

two
Attached Thumbnails Check out the new engine-engine2.jpg  
Old 04-13-2005 | 01:17 AM
Supreme Member

three
Attached Thumbnails Check out the new engine-engine3.jpg  
Old 04-13-2005 | 01:21 AM
Supreme Member

I pressure checked the rails, and they were leak free at 85psi for just over two hours. So hopefully no issues with fuel, but I guess I'll see what happens...

It's 90% stainless hardware too. I'm tired of dealing with rusty ugly fastners

Last edited by onebinky; 04-13-2005 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2005 | 01:53 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305
Transmission: t-5
Sounds like its going to be a hot little 305. Looks great. But why spend all that money on a 305? Im sure a lot of people will ask that.
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:08 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: NCC-1701-D (docked in AZ)
Engine: impulse drive
Transmission: fusion reactors
Axle/Gears: Rescued from the Borg by my crew
That is one helluva nice motor my man...hope you get a lot of hours out of it. Enjoy!!!
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:53 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by f355bird
Sounds like its going to be a hot little 305. Looks great. But why spend all that money on a 305? Im sure a lot of people will ask that.
Eh, let em ask

The main reason is because I recieved this engine for free, and it was supposed to be a relatively fresh rebuild. I figured I'd tear it down anyway just to have the peace of mind. Here's the list of most of what I found wrong with it:

-Half the rings were upside down
-two broken rings
-none of the ring gaps were staggered, they were all lined up perfect.
-standard size rings on a .040 piston. the gaps were nearing .040 on all of them.
-the rods had not been line bored. Because of this the bearings were all worn very off center and needed to be replaced.
-Thrust sides on (cheapo) pistons were worn concentric to the middle of the piston walls. Almost like the pistons were ballooning out in the middles.
-the main bearings were all worn down to the copper, but was just typical of higher mileage wear.
-heavy oil buildup under all the main bearings. That's just asking for a spun bearing.
-No crush on any of the bearings. They all pretty much fell out except for the thrust bearing.
-The front two cam bearings had heavy scuffing all thru the bottom of them. Still don't know what caused that one.
-THREE freeze plugs were inside the water jacket.

Anyways, I don't know how, but the block and crank were nearly perfect. A couple cylinders were out of round by .0005", but there was nearly no taper, and no marks or scuffing that wouldn't clean up with the hone. All the crank needed was a polish and it was good to go. I think the only saving grace is that the kid I got if from's uncle is an AMSOIL dealer, so that's what the motor used.

So long answer short, the main reason was money. I am only in roughly $500 for the complete shortblock build, and the heads, intake, headers, exhaust, ignition, and everything else will swap to a 350 when funds allow.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments I'm definately proud of this one, and it's been a while coming together with it.

Last edited by onebinky; 04-13-2005 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2005 | 11:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 iroc z
Engine: LSX 376 F1A
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.42
looks very nice! Are u going to do any dyno results on the motor soon?
Old 04-13-2005 | 09:43 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks

If I do any dyno time, it probably won't be until the end of summer. I want to get the tune dialed in as close as I can before I go to the dyno to cut down on costs.
Old 04-13-2005 | 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Unpainted headlight pockets make great tool trays also

Hopefully I'll get to fire it tomorrow. I gotta pick up a couple more -an hose ends, and a couple other odds and ends and then wire up my new gauge pod.
Attached Thumbnails Check out the new engine-swap1.jpg  
Old 04-14-2005 | 07:51 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Firebird
Engine: sbc 307
Transmission: 200
Cool, that looks really nice!
Old 04-14-2005 | 09:00 AM

Car: 1965 Chevelle SS
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH350
congrats on that engine dood. I like your ingenuity. How are you going to make the tps and other sensors(assuming they are ford) work? Are you using a ford ecu, or gm or aftermarket?
Old 04-14-2005 | 07:11 PM

Car: 88 firebird under construction
Engine: 350 with trick flow everything
Transmission: th350
Originally posted by cmexlr8
congrats on that engine dood. I like your ingenuity. How are you going to make the tps and other sensors(assuming they are ford) work? Are you using a ford ecu, or gm or aftermarket?
A GM TPS and a Ford TPS are virtually the same. a 5v reference and a singl wire, and possibly a ground. Both are potentiometers being 0 volts is shut and 5 volts is WOT.
Old 04-14-2005 | 07:16 PM

Originally posted by onebinky
Unpainted headlight pockets make great tool trays also

Hopefully I'll get to fire it tomorrow. I gotta pick up a couple more -an hose ends, and a couple other odds and ends and then wire up my new gauge pod.
HOLY ****, i went to UTI in glendale hiegths, hahahah. I noticed that gay *** stupid sticker they make ya stick in the winshield.
Old 04-14-2005 | 08:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by cmexlr8
Yep, it's pretty much the same deal. Ground, ref, and signal. The ONLY thing ford on here is the TB and tps, and I intend to keep it that way

It's a GM 7730 ECM that I do my own tuning with.

Thebigwelsh, when did you graduate? I'm doing the VW grad program and the rep made me keep ford, so I'm out of there in four more looong phases... Then it's VW and off to the east coast for a year
Old 04-14-2005 | 10:29 PM
sp63

im going to uti in glendale heights in june. w00t w00t.
Old 04-14-2005 | 10:43 PM

Car: 91firebird, 2000 camaro
Engine: 305 tbi,K&N, edelbrock intake & 3.8
Transmission: 700R4
Hope it runs as good as it looks! and good luck at UTI i am also looking into getting into automotive feild too. Figure i am switch i am switch after i got my Associates in Criminal justice... Got two year before i could really do anything with it .... but the money sucks in that field!
Old 04-15-2005 | 05:03 PM

.Thebigwelsh, when did you graduate? I'm doing the VW grad program and the rep made me keep ford, so I'm out of there in four more looong phases... Then it's VW and off to the east coast for a year
I graduated in Aug last year, i think the grad programs are a bunch of BS. Fresh outta school i was making 27 a book hour. I personally think the grad programs are worthless. My buddy took the ford program and i still make more $$$$ than him
Old 04-15-2005 | 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

If you don't mind me asking, where did you land a job that good right out of school? That's awesome! I've been thinking twice about VW lately, and this might be the thing that gets me to cancel VW.
Old 04-15-2005 | 08:19 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
rockon! looks like you'll be giving slp-iroc, tunedport 335, and myself a real run for our money! gives me incentive to get my new heads/cam to the house!

what cam are you running?
Old 04-15-2005 | 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

I'm hoping so

It's a relatively mild cam this time. Unfortunately my $300 Lunati roller cam was trashed when my other motor blew, and my brother had a Comp 262hr-12 laying around with the lifters and pushrods, so that's what is going in. Should be a torque monster though with the low overlap period and mild duration, but still a fair amount of lift.

I fired it today, and with exhaust identical to how it was pre explosion, it is MUCH louder. Hopefully this is an indication that things are finally going my way.

Me and my brother also yanked the pan off the old engine to check it out before it went to the scrap yard, and found some amazing damage. Two rods broken, one rod missing, two rods bent, 3" chunk missing from the block, and two 3" "y" cracks branching off of the rear most freeze plug on the driver's side. The sides of the pan were ballooned to the point where we had to beat it back in with a hammer to get the pan bolts out. The oil was metallic soup My dad suspects that I floated a valve and that's what started the mess, since the timing chain was perfect and the head castings themselves were untouched but every valve on the heads were bent.

Tomorrow the new gauge set goes in, set idle and timing, install new hood, button everything up, and maybe install new hooker exhaust and find out why the rear end is whining so much. Then it's tune tune tune...

NOTE: One small fire today too. Word to the wise, if you are using heat wrap and it gets oil soaked, REMOVE IT and either toss it or try and clean it. I personally cut that garbage off and sh!tcanned it. It may appear dry on the outside, but that stuff wicks oil under the surface and holds it there. After we fired it, there was some smoke that I was expecting, then we got the timing dialed in nearer, and then there was billows of smoke and my GF yelled "FIRE"! It was a good time and nothing was damaged though. We'll keep the fire extinguisher closer next time

Last edited by onebinky; 04-15-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:08 AM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

what kinda heads were on the old motor?
Old 04-16-2005 | 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

S/R torquer 305's. Same ones that are on this one, but they were unported. I did a full port/polish on them, had them magnafluxed, new guides pressed in, and a 3 angle valve job done to them.
Old 04-16-2005 | 01:07 AM
Supreme Member

Any updates on that stroker 305 you were talking about building?
Old 04-16-2005 | 09:46 AM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

yeah, i'm not going to do it. i have a solid bottom end in this one and i don't see a real point in stroking it. it's got forged rods and nice pistons. so i may hit it with the jug before i decide to go bigger. i am going to do up some heads soon, and probably put in the xe274 cam. a 650 double pumper is not far off in the future either. i say 12.7's n/a by the time it's all said and done.
Old 04-16-2005 | 10:08 AM

If you don't mind me asking, where did you land a job that good right out of school? That's awesome! I've been thinking twice about VW lately, and this might be the thing that gets me to cancel VW.
Its an independent shop suprisingly. All the dealerships around my area only wanted to give me like 12/hour and id be stuck doing oil changes . Than again its basically an old timers shop, and im the only one with any type of education. Its a blast, we do alot of resto's and i talk some of the customers into "hotrodding" there old classics. Its a blast. Right now im rebuilding a numbers matching 327 for a '63 split window vette. I love my job.
Old 04-16-2005 | 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by thebigwelsh
Its an independent shop suprisingly. All the dealerships around my area only wanted to give me like 12/hour and id be stuck doing oil changes . Than again its basically an old timers shop, and im the only one with any type of education. Its a blast, we do alot of resto's and i talk some of the customers into "hotrodding" there old classics. Its a blast. Right now im rebuilding a numbers matching 327 for a '63 split window vette. I love my job.
Any chance you have an opening for an ASE master tech fresh outta school? Sounds like a dream job...
Old 04-16-2005 | 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Here's another update too. I did some very minor roughing in of the fuel maps to get it to idle good. I have the idle set to about 800rpm right now, and had to give it 45% more fuel than the stock tune to even keep it running. I haven't put a gauge on it yet, but from the sounds of it I'd guess at least 18-20in/hg. Very smooth, with just a hint of lope and snap to it. No vac leaks, no oil leaks, no coolant leaks, and most importantly, no fuel leaks. 65 psi oil pressure cold, 55 psi warm with 10w30 castrol. Got the new gauges wired up for the most part, and then spent the remainder of the night cleaning the garage up to a tolerable level. The gauge panel looks very cool at night too. Since it's plexi, it looks like the gauges are just floating in mid air with only the wires holding them in place. I'll snap a pic of it installed once it's cleaned up.
Attached Thumbnails Check out the new engine-pod.jpg  
Old 04-17-2005 | 09:21 AM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

whoa, i kinda dig that clear plexi! glad to hear you got her running man! i'm pretty excited to see how this thing turns out! you keeping the car painted the way it is for the sleeper look and just making the interior nice (kinda what i am doing) or are you gonna eventually paint the car?

keep us updated man! i'd like to hear all the specifics once you get her running well. to include track times AND fuel mileage.

oh, what gears are you running behind that t5?
Old 04-17-2005 | 09:48 AM

Car: 91 Z28, t-top, 5.7l ZZ4 rebuild
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700r
Here's another update too. I did some very minor roughing in of the fuel maps to get it to idle good. I have the idle set to about 800rpm right now, and had to give it 45% more fuel than the stock tune to even keep it running. I haven't put a gauge on it yet, but from the sounds of it I'd guess at least 18-20in/hg. Very smooth, with just a hint of lope and snap to it. No vac leaks, no oil leaks, no coolant leaks, and most importantly, no fuel leaks. 65 psi oil pressure cold, 55 psi warm with 10w30 castrol. Got the new gauges wired up for the most part, and then spent the remainder of the night cleaning the garage up to a tolerable level. The gauge panel looks very cool at night too. Since it's plexi, it looks like the gauges are just floating in mid air with only the wires holding them in place. I'll snap a pic of it installed once it's cleaned up.
You oughta side-light that PLEXI gauge panel with LEDs..... a nice subtle ambiance. ;]
Jim
Old 04-17-2005 | 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by mw66nova
whoa, i kinda dig that clear plexi! glad to hear you got her running man! i'm pretty excited to see how this thing turns out! you keeping the car painted the way it is for the sleeper look and just making the interior nice (kinda what i am doing) or are you gonna eventually paint the car?

keep us updated man! i'd like to hear all the specifics once you get her running well. to include track times AND fuel mileage.

oh, what gears are you running behind that t5?
It'll keep the sleeper look until I can afford a nice paint job Until then, that's exactly what I'm doing. Getting rid of all the rust, making the interior nice, and making it fast.

4.10's out back

I'll definately keep an update going if you're interested in it

Brazen- I've thought about doing just that, but all the nice details are going to wait until I get everything else set. I think it would look pretty cool if I did it body color, but it would be hard to match all 14 colors I have going right now (15 including the white Z28 hi rise spoiler I have in the basement)
Old 04-17-2005 | 12:38 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

would that be "Urban Camoflouge"?
Old 04-17-2005 | 03:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by mw66nova
would that be "Urban Camoflouge"?
Nah, it's hillbilly war paint.
Old 04-20-2005 | 01:22 PM

Car: 1965 Chevelle SS
Engine: 355
Transmission: TH350
what fuel rails are those? Is this setup different than the one you were going for in the alternative efi forum sticky?
Old 04-20-2005 | 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Yes. Same base manifold, but new bungs, new mounts, new tb and plate.

They are modified TPI rails

I've been meaning to get the new pics up there, but I've been short on time with getting this running good.
Old 04-20-2005 | 06:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305
Transmission: t-5
What color is your car?
Old 04-20-2005 | 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Old 05-22-2005 | 08:42 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

just curious to see how it's coming...
Old 05-22-2005 | 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

I took care of a few things to get it running better. I swapped the Ford TB and TPS for a gm TBI style holley 750cfm tb.

The idle voltage on the ford tps was to high, and the wot voltage was to low. I tried to compensate the tables to take that into account, but it was messing with all the computer's strategies.

The spark plug wires were all arcing at the plugs, and some of them were also arcing against the valve covers. I swapped those out for some summit 8mm cut to fit ones (same as the taylor ones). It's running much stronger now.

The first time I was able to kind of get on the throttle with these corrections I ripped the trans mount in half. That was yesterday.

I've been really short on time these past few weeks, so car time is pretty short. In addition to school, I am also working full time now. Between the two, I'm away from my home a minimum of 84 hours a week. That's not including staying late at school for extra lab time, or working my day off for extra money and experience. I graduate mid july, so things should ease up some then. I have also been putting my last couple days off into prepping my fiance's car to sell. Just some odds and ends here and there, nothing huge.

If you know anyone who is interested, here's the link:
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...66#post2352366
Old 05-24-2005 | 09:55 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

keep us updated dude, and post some pics of that thing in the engine bay, i'm interested to see the finished product! and then, get to the track!
Old 05-25-2005 | 08:18 PM

Car: 86 T/A, many others
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700r4
wow love the plexi gauges, did you make those or buy that online somewhere. can you post a link of where you bought it if you did buy it...thanks
Old 05-25-2005 | 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

That's home brew right there

Thanks for the compliment