Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Anybody get vortec heads to pass ca emiss

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: hampster in a wheel
Transmission: 700r
Anybody get vortec heads to pass ca emiss

Hey all ive put together a vortec headed tpi .Its in a eng swap car so it has to be gone over by a smog official for eng swap .Just wondering if anybody has had trouble or got to pass this combo.I will be headin back to ca soon so im trying to find out if im headed for tech probs with the vortecs..One thing they might not like is there is no egr crossover pass in the vortecs so it uses a tube to bring exhst gas from the ex manifold to the intake for the egr.sorta like the vette setup ..any input would be great thanks
Old 03-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990 iroc z
Engine: LSX 376 F1A
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt 3.42
you should be fine california smog laws are not that hard.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Car: Pontiac
I know alittle about CA smog laws but not much about vortec heads. What exactly do you mean by "put together a vortec headed tpi"? Its an engine swap car so I take it that thecar didn't come with TPI? The vortec heads never came TPI is that correct?
CA says you can swap an older engine with a newer. But it must be a complete swap. Engine , computer, exhaust, induction and smog equipment as a complete unit. No mix and match.(you can use aftermarket parts with CARB numbers for your car) Heavy duty rated engines (trucks) cannot be used in passenger cars. If you take that to a referee disguise it as a complete engine and don't mention the vortec heads. I assume you have exhaust manifolds from the TPI. They can test the egr externally but it shouldn't affect the tailpipe test if there are no crossover to it. Be ready to tell him what car the engine came out of. They may want to check your computer number to see if it matches for the engine. Like anyone else, there's different types of referees. You got your **** smog ***** and you got your lazy hacks.