Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

rich/hard to start -- 350/305 heads motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 iroc
Engine: 350/305heads/rv cam....
Transmission: 700r
rich/hard to start -- 350/305 heads motor swap

Hello,

I am having a terrible time getting my rebuilt motor to work with the TPI.

I took a 92 350 4 bolt main from a chevy c1500 and put a new stock crank in it with a 10/10 turn.

Used Flat Top Pistons, four valve relief.
bore 4" plus .030
kept my 305 heads .010 planed and rebuilt them.
Stock Stroke
cam RV Elgin -- duration at .050 204 intake, 214 exhaust hydraulic
went with a HYPERTECH DIST/coil
went with 24 lb/hr bosch injectors (did the dual clamp test no drop in pressure, did return line release no drop in pressure....so i believe my injectors and fuel reg are good)
adjustable fuel pressure reg.
8mm wires
accel header plugs .035 gap
slp 1 5/8 headers
3" exhaust edelbroch
rebuilt TB to 52mm

Ed Wright Fastchip.com Prom

The car floods out easy, I even have the cold start injector unplugged.

I had pulled the screens in my MAF........I just got a new 1 with screens in it.
I bought new coolant, air, and a new Idle Air Control

I ordered the 3 wire heated O2 sensor AC Delco AFS-74 will be in on Tuesday or Wednesday.

So I am basically going for another attempt at making this car work.

I am going to check my IAC torque for 13ft/lb

So the car runs terrbile even feels doggy, would not hold an idle this past time before i stripped it down.....before i could at least get it to idle out once she warmed up and hit closed loop.

TPS Voltage .54v
Injector resistance 15 ohms

auto x-ray

Block Learn 128
Engine Load 3
Inj Pulse 12.3ms
o2 cross 248
maf 165 gr/sec was screen pulled maf
prop o2 - lean
rich lean flag -- lean
loop - open
IAC - 230
COOLANT - 136.8
EGR - 0%
2600 RPM
THROTTLE SEN 1.6V
INTEGRATOR 128
O2 - 567MV
MAN AIR TEMP - 95

Questions

What Should my base timing be set to?
What should my ignition timing be set to?
What about my valve timing?

The motor shop said i was looking at 10.5:1 compression....will these heads handle that?

I'm lost the heated O2 sensor and new MAF and an attempt to goto closed loop to get readings for Ed Wright........NEW CHIP?

Where can I get some1 in New England to work with me buring new chips for this car so I can get it done or do I have to start tuning myself, I don't know....will any1 help me buring new proms???? PLEASE HELP!

Checked EGR for vacuum and it is good. I am just lost.

I thank every1 in advance for there thoughts on how I can get this 85 Iroc TPI to run.....

Last edited by 85irocrebuildtp; 03-06-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
I've never seen an Ed Wright chip that wouldn't run decently. Maybe not 100% optimized to the platform, but he gets very close.

How sure are you that your injectors are OK?

I'd connect a fuel pressure gauge to the rail, verify correct (43-48psi) pressure w/ the regulator's vac reference disconnected and capped.

Then verify the pressure stays up for a few mins after shutdown. If it dives straight to zero after the engine's off, chances are one of your injectors or the cold-start inj are leaking.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by kevinc
I've never seen an Ed Wright chip that wouldn't run decently. Maybe not 100% optimized to the platform, but he gets very close.

How sure are you that your injectors are OK?

I'd connect a fuel pressure gauge to the rail, verify correct (43-48psi) pressure w/ the regulator's vac reference disconnected and capped.

Then verify the pressure stays up for a few mins after shutdown. If it dives straight to zero after the engine's off, chances are one of your injectors or the cold-start inj are leaking.
yes, I did a pressure check on the injectors, what i did was pressure up fuel system by turning key and than clamp off return line and feed line with your fuel pressure reg on schrader......it holds pressure so no problem there......than you do same thing but this time you release return line to verify fuel reg (which is new) and in both instances i hold pressure.

i checked injector resistance and each is 15ohms.....(fourteen - seventeen is range)

like i said i can't understand why this car just does not start and run, but upon putting in my heated o2 sensor and maf with screen i am more stock orientated now....the compression is high......i have had this car running and put 50 miles on motor she has always been PIG RICH......

ed has me at hundred sixty stat.....i am in vermont......i know a 180 will help my rich but i am not a tuner so can i just put the 180 back in?

my fuel pressure was backed all way off beacuse of my hugely rich startup.....if i lost idle upon cold start i could very easily wet the plugs and have to pull them to dry off to get to start again and this is with cold start injector unplugged...........

i am very confused about my problem here......i can only assume i pulled maf screens and put maf sensor out of range.......i don't know but am putting a stock maf in on my next attempt....

auto x-ray threw codes 33 (maf) and forty-four (timing advance and retard)i have codes .....now i have new MAF
Old 03-09-2005, 11:41 AM

problem addressed

well we will start by saying thank you to everyone that gave me advice.

There were three problems.

1. My Accel Shorty, header plugs were total garbage, put a timing light on #1 (times all plugs all garbage) and it was not firing correctly at all. called rep....had no answer for it other than they would replace the plugs.....my reply was a great big THANKS BUT NO THANKS!!!! that was a terrible thing to experience........stay away from the accel header plugs.

2. i had a code 42 not 44 sorry was writing off top of my head.....i had a corroded wire......guess what ....the wire was for timing advance........my 42 error

3. put in new MAF sensor with screen

with cold start plug off she fires right up.......nice.....

so what plugs do you guys use for headers?

what fuel pressure do you set at....fastchip wants me to set for 44.....i read 46psi gives a noticable improvement in torque and power...

I am quite happy......I have been sweating it out with this project car!!!!!!

thanks again for all your help!

85 iroc tpi

Last edited by 85irocrebuildtp; 03-09-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:22 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally posted by 85irocrebuildtp
so what plugs do you guys use for headers?
Accel 276S. Been running them since 1996 with no particular problems.