Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

71 350 Olds motor goin into my 88 Iroc

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1966 impala , 1998 sebring vert,1978 buick regal turbo, 1991 chevy silverado 3/4ton 4x4 lifted
Engine: 283, 2.5,3.8 turbo 350
Transmission: powerglide,auto overdrive, th350,4L80
Originally posted by 91CamaroRS305
well i can't win, the trans i thought was seated right and it wasnt so i blew out the pump seal, thankfully that was all, but i am in the midst of fixing it so i should have it done today some time this evening. so i need to space the converter cause that was the prob it was barely on and it took the edges of the pump ears but it will run again.

but on a side note, i took the trans that was in the car that i had rebuilt and blew out and took that apart and it was burnt, all the seals, bands, steels, and the big 2nd gear band which was a upgraded kevlar band, i thought it was funny cause i barely put 8000 miles on the thing, but i learned that i have to be a bit more gentle

but soon i will have the finish product and then the pics of the slow process of body work, but stay tuned!!
sucks that happened .......

but keep us posted ...
Old 01-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Only a daily driver, but comin home
Engine: I have one that runs ;)
Transmission: Caged hamster that runs really fast
Axle/Gears: They are round, I know that much
well heres an update!

Sorry I haven't said anything in a long, long time, but life caught up, along with work and finals and such. But I did get it fixed, trans you can tell is used by the slipping that happens between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, but other than that it is great one gas, surprisingly!!
I will have some pics on here real soon, i have to get a digi cam so i can take them, and soon after maybe a sound file or vid, once i learn how to use the stupid software.
one more sad story, brought my car to school and some kids was messing with the fuel pump switch and turned it on and left it on, well when i went to leave, my gas tank emptied into my engine, completely, so bad that the gas level was past the throttle blades on the carb. so i had to let it sit 2 days, and an oil change later all is well. I even had the car out on that nice day about 2 weeks ago....with the t-tops off!!
Old 01-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1966 impala , 1998 sebring vert,1978 buick regal turbo, 1991 chevy silverado 3/4ton 4x4 lifted
Engine: 283, 2.5,3.8 turbo 350
Transmission: powerglide,auto overdrive, th350,4L80
congrats on the completion and sorry to hear of somebody screwing with the fuel pump swith on you i had a friend have that happen to him in a little toyota pick up and it did basicly the same thing...LOL...

we figured you were dead or something considering you havent posted in a while ...
Old 02-08-2005, 09:39 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 bird
Engine: 305/383
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Pictures! How's it go? Never drove an Olds before... same HP as the Chevy SB?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Only a daily driver, but comin home
Engine: I have one that runs ;)
Transmission: Caged hamster that runs really fast
Axle/Gears: They are round, I know that much
well it went, got me around, and decided to not want to work. i cant figure out why, the engine wont run right, and the rear pass brake locked up on me, and the trans took a big dump on me. but the good note is i am in the midst of putting together a SBC right now, with a nice line up of parts, all high perf and it should be a screamer. but *** for hp, no it never really felt like it was on the same level, but it did womp on ti in torque, but then again thats what the Pontiac and Olds motors are known for, but it was a great daily driver, i just think that the motor wasnt built for everyday use, but it got me around for the most part, and now it will be donated to my school cause i cant seem to find anyone to buy it, but i can say i learned alot doing this and it has helped me with several friends who are putting or want to put a carbed motor in a FI car, so i definately am confident to say i can do this again or give advice, but i will get some process pics of the taking the Olds motor out and the building of the small block to finish off this post