Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

572 BB

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
572 BB

All I can say is OMG!!!!!....just saw these links: http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevyBigBlockV8s/572.html
http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chev...2-620pics.html

I know its been out for a while, and I saw it on Horsepower TV or whatever that show is going into the Nova....but wow...what a motor. Have a few questions....I know its possible to put into a thirdgen(with lots of fabrication, etc), but whats the advantage of a big block with that much power vs. bulding a small block making close to that power? Is it just for showing off, something people do for mostly show reasons, or is there another purpose behind a big block chevy into thirdgens? Forgive the ignorance, but big blocks are heavier than small blocks...and you can make about the same hp #'s with a small block. So other than for racing, what are reasons for this motor existing? A couple other questions.....that 572 is carbureted....would a really good fuel injection setup work well with it? What about supercharging and throwing some juice on it? Just curious as to what kind of results would come if you added more "roids" to a motor already on them Thanks.

Last edited by PhantomTPI; 01-18-2004 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:39 PM

Car: 90 RS
Engine: 8 holes
Transmission: Quickest, quicker, quick...
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73
Advantage. You have a significent amount more of torque than a small block and you have a big block sound. Aluminum heads and intake on a big block weigh about the same as a all cast small block. You would need one hell of a fuel injection system to run that engine, as there are many out there from little manufactures that make awsome systems. I dont know how cool it woudl be to supercharge a 9.6:1 engine, as you will not make a significant amount more of power. You could spray it, but you will more than likely need a wet system to be on the safe side. If you want more power out of it already, throw on a differnt cam, port and polish them stock heads, and bore ur intake out to match the new ports. All $$$$ is you have it, be sure to spend it.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by chev496
Advantage. You have a significent amount more of torque than a small block and you have a big block sound. Aluminum heads and intake on a big block weigh about the same as a all cast small block. You would need one hell of a fuel injection system to run that engine, as there are many out there from little manufactures that make awsome systems. I dont know how cool it woudl be to supercharge a 9.6:1 engine, as you will not make a significant amount more of power. You could spray it, but you will more than likely need a wet system to be on the safe side. If you want more power out of it already, throw on a differnt cam, port and polish them stock heads, and bore ur intake out to match the new ports. All $$$$ is you have it, be sure to spend it.
Thanks for the info.....didnt know supercharging it wouldnt make much more power, as I'm not familiar too much with superchargers and big-blocks, thats why i asked. I'm just really impressed with that engine, i mean any car nut looks at that and the salivatory glands start to work overtime. If I had that kind of $$$ to throw around, I'd be throwing it around ON that .
Old 01-20-2004, 02:06 AM

Car: 75 & 82 Z-28
Engine: 350
Transmission: Saginaw 4 speed
You could make a ton more power with a blower, you'd just be running 110+ octane to prevent detonation with any real amount of boost.

Now if it made that power at like 8.5 or even 8:1 compression, with a blower, that'd be sweet
Old 01-20-2004, 12:19 PM

Car: Camaro
you can fit a 600+ ci donovan block into a 3rd gen. make 1000+ HP on the motor
Old 01-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: Canfield 195 headed 358ci
Transmission: TH350, Art Carr 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 3.92 Dana 44
Advantage. You have a significent amount more of torque than a small block and you have a big block sound.
I have have to almost completely disagree with that. The difference is a big block is big and a small block is small. Its harder to make a small motor as powerful as a big one. Sooo, lets say you have a 600HP small block and a 600HP big block. The big block could be built to be more streetable and dependable while the small block would need to be more 'radical' in order to make up for the cubes its lacking thus making it less streetable, less reliable, and much harder to make even more power.

I sure hope nobody has put a big block in their car just because of its sound... Also remember HP always wins.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by 88IROC350TPI
I have have to almost completely disagree with that. The difference is a big block is big and a small block is small. Its harder to make a small motor as powerful as a big one. Sooo, lets say you have a 600HP small block and a 600HP big block. The big block could be built to be more streetable and dependable while the small block would need to be more 'radical' in order to make up for the cubes its lacking thus making it less streetable, less reliable, and much harder to make even more power.

I sure hope nobody has put a big block in their car just because of its sound... Also remember HP always wins.
So in other words, "there is no replacement for displacement." I just saw the 572 and almost passed out, since its such a beautiful motor....and with mods, and an extremely good F/I system, it would be awesome to fab into a thirdgen in my opinion....if not only for sheer, raw power but also for something a bit different. All i ever see is sbc's in these cars....with the exception of 1 454 89 Trans Am i saw that ran low 12's N/A at a car show. But again, $$$ comes into play....I once asked the guys at Cartek what kind of motor they could build me for the T/A....this was before I really got into this stuff.....they replied with "How much $$$ do you have?" That settles that question. Its all in how much $$ and how fast you want to go. Time will tell what i do next....but right now, this is a dream for me to fantasize about
Old 01-20-2004, 07:45 PM

Car: 90 RS
Engine: 8 holes
Transmission: Quickest, quicker, quick...
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73
If you know about engines, big blocks are proven by every machine shop out there that they make more torque period because of the stroke/bore block design. Ask around and they will tell you. If you want a big block its not as hard and doesnt cost as much as you would think. You can build a very mild big block with 500 hp for around 3000$ if you ask around and find the most reputable machine shop. When you get around 600 hp, you are lookin at roll cages, new rear ends, the best transmission, and many other things.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:03 PM

If you want a big block its not as hard and doesnt cost as much as you would think. You can build a very mild big block with 500 hp for around 3000$ if you ask around and find the most reputable machine shop. When you get around 600 hp, you are lookin at roll cages, new rear ends, the best transmission, and many other things.
I agree 100%.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
There IS a replacement for displacement
Old 01-23-2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by fly89gta
There IS a replacement for displacement
:rotfl::rotfl: ...ok, so you've got a point....just not a point i want to consider No turbo for me
Old 01-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
you could easily make a 600 hp sbc with a procharger and a decent fi system that would be very streetable. keep your foot out of the boost and even have decent gas mileage (18-22). it will just cost some serious green's. of course, then you could take a big block and put a procharger on it...blah blah blah blah...i hope you make lots of money at whatever it is you do, i know making coffee at a little coffee shop in downtown Macon, GA isn't really cutting it to fund my "supercharger project" LOL
Old 01-23-2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by mw66nova
you could easily make a 600 hp sbc with a procharger and a decent fi system that would be very streetable. keep your foot out of the boost and even have decent gas mileage (18-22). it will just cost some serious green's. of course, then you could take a big block and put a procharger on it...blah blah blah blah...i hope you make lots of money at whatever it is you do, i know making coffee at a little coffee shop in downtown Macon, GA isn't really cutting it to fund my "supercharger project" LOL
I'm in Information Technology, and am currently working on getting my MCSE(Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) certificates so I can get more $$$....from meeting me though, you'd never guess....I dont quite "fit the mold" of an IT person....I'm doing this for the money...so I can afford my expensive hobby 572 in due time....due time
Old 01-23-2004, 07:56 PM

Car: 87 formie
Engine: none
Transmission: none
id love a destroked twin turbo big block

as for replacement for displacement = boost.... i look at it a different way.

take 2 well known performance engines. i'll go with the ol 350 and a 2jz for example. both known for performance. engine vs engine, both out of the car, and both being N/A the bigger engine will produce more power. given you do the same mods to each of course.

now you throw a turbo on the 2jz and crank up the boost but leave the 350 N/A and the 2jz is making more power. thus proving there is a replacement for displacement.... or so it seems.

many things can affect an engines performance as we all know. but this rule applies to all engines... the more air and fuel you can cram into the engine, the more power it can make. the reason if you leave both engines N/A and mod them the same the bigger one will always win is because the bigger one can take in more air and fuel. and whats the point of boost? to cram more air and fuel into the engine. so i think that boost IMITATES displacement. not really replace it. because your trying to get the power a bigger engine can make. so when it comes to making power, there really is no replacement for displacement... only imitations
Old 01-23-2004, 10:49 PM

Car: Camaro
Originally posted by posbird87
now you throw a turbo on the 2jz and crank up the boost but leave the 350 N/A and the 2jz is making more power. thus proving there is a replacement for displacement.... or so it seems.
That 350 N/A if built, will make more torque but won't rev as high so it will be more powerful than the 2JZ by far, and will be faster in a same weight car even with less HP...
Old 01-24-2004, 12:21 AM

Car: 87 formie
Engine: none
Transmission: none
i was trying to mean each was equally built, we'll say both set-up for boost with low compression and so on. and i dont mean specifically the 2jz, was just an example off the top of my head. my point is just that boost imitates displacement by cramming more air and fuel into the combustion chambers, which is the reason why a 350 or bigger engine can make more power because of its ability to let in more fuel and air. guess i kinda overdid it