Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Check this out......LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner T-5
Check this out......LT1

Check this out.........and LT1 powered Porsche 944.....it's so beautiful.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2452896595
Old 01-09-2004, 02:35 PM

yea man i agree do you know if they make conversions for the 944 or was that a one-off thing
Old 01-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
apparently its a kit. I looked through the parts list the guy listed and it said "Renegade Hybrid's Basic Conversion Kit".....unless thats for something else
Old 01-15-2004, 08:26 PM

Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
Chevy V8 conversions for the 944s are pretty common. L98s and LT1s are the most common. Kinda crazy to think that they're putting them in a car that's almost 1000 lbs. lighter than an F-body. There are several shops that can do the conversion.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:52 PM

Car: 87 Black Formula
Engine: Rollercammed Lg4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10 Bolt Locker
From where I'm looking, and to my experience, you americans come up with chevy small block conversions for almost any car there is.. :-)

Like the new Ford focus they sell over here as a 1,3 and 1,6 litre. Here in europa somebody would make it a 2,2 with turbo at the most, perhaps a small V6, but you guys go for a cast iron V8.. lol with 5,7 litre capacity. Sure, that's really reasonable.. ;-)

The DMW over here mostly complain about weight though, one has to get an approval that the car can handle it. But who's one to get these kinds of approvals from? That's why people usually don't put V8's in anything other than a Volvo 244, since that car was constructed for a V8 in the first place. It never got one though.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
no, the baddest swap i ever seen was an 03 cobra drivtrain (complete with IRS) in an 03 focus
Old 02-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Kitt
Engine: Classified
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Moser/4:11
I saw that. They converted the Focus to RWD. Not bad!!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
i saw a 240sx/nx/rx whatever it is lol with a 306 cammed LT1

ran low 11's....

and a turboed 305 in the same car...

What would the world do without US crazy yanks!
Old 02-13-2004, 05:00 PM

Car: '89 RS
Engine: LT4
That's one sick porsche, remind me sometime and I'll show you guys the craaziest swap i've ever seen in a 55 belair...
Old 02-13-2004, 10:59 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
:hail:
Old 02-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 firebird
Engine: Pos 2.8 pulled and replaced with a 350 tpi motor converted to carb.
Transmission: 700r4, vette servo,shift kit, hayden 15"x8" trans cooler.
what a great way to destroy a porsche
Old 02-15-2004, 05:33 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
The absolute baddest Porsche I have ever seen was actually on TV a few years ago, and in a car magazine as well, but I forgot which mag.

Anyway, it was an old orange Porsche 914 (yea, the one that looks like a brick with a handle) that had a rodded out 327 installed mid-ship. From what I heard, it handled like crap, but it was fast as hell.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:40 PM

Car: 04 Xtreme Blazer
Engine: 4.3L V6
Transmission: 4L60E
how about a 426 Hemi into a 2002 PT Cruiser

seen that?

i have
Old 02-15-2004, 09:00 PM

Car: 75 & 82 Z-28
Engine: 350
Transmission: Saginaw 4 speed
Originally posted by br()bert
what a great way to destroy a porsche
By the looks of it, you drive a v6 fire turd

But even if you had a 9 second pump fuel daily driven street car I'd still think you're a moron for this comment.

Originality isnt always the best thing. Why not building something unique, something you know works, reliable, and makes enough power to stomp any 944's around.

If you do drive a v6 firebird, please dont modify it, you'll be ruining the car, keep it stock...
Old 02-15-2004, 09:22 PM

Car: 87 Black Formula
Engine: Rollercammed Lg4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10 Bolt Locker
Why don't they make the pt cruiser with a hemi as an optional engine, or better yet, standard?!
Old 02-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Battery

But even if you had a 9 second pump fuel daily driven street car I'd still think you're a moron for this comment.

Originality isnt always the best thing. Why not building something unique, something you know works, reliable, and makes enough power to stomp any 944's around.

If you do drive a v6 firebird, please dont modify it, you'll be ruining the car, keep it stock...
By the looks of your post you have the mental power of a retarded 5 year old. My car has nothing to do with my comment you close minded gremlin.Please dont reproduce, the world has enough stupid people in it.

Last edited by br()bert; 02-15-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:52 PM

Actually it has a bunch to do with your post. Usually when you have a faster car, you have done it yourself and actually know about cars. As seeing you becoming so defensive about your pathetic v6 "muscle" car your opinion really doesnt matter to me.

Please break out of the high teens, post something that matters, and then tell me I'm stupid.

"what a great way to destroy a porsche" Quote from an Idiot

Remember, keep your car a v6, we dont want you ruining your car...
Old 02-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

jackass im not defending my car at all.
Why is it when a ******* gets mad because you dont share his opinion he says" yeah well you got a v6" Stupid ******* comment! IMO the car is trash. NOT because its modded it but the way he modded it. I dont have to explain my opinion to you or anyone else either. Your inmature ramblings only make my case of your retardism stronger. I advise you to tell your mom and uncle to stop the inbreeding and date outside you family.
I wont go into explaining about my v6 car or if i have other cars because im not jerry lewis and i dont have a soft spot for retards. although i do injoy watching one of you retards pathetic attemps to be a smartass! Also et numbers a iq numbers are not related jackass.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by tilstad
Why don't they make the pt cruiser with a hemi as an optional engine, or better yet, standard?!
Because most ppl (at least IMHO) that buy PT Cruisers do it for the look, and not necessarily the performance. Think about it, they market the PT Cruiser as having what is it, 32 different seating configurations? How many does any performance based car (vettes, muscle cars, extotics, etc.) have? Probably just 1. While that would be cool to have a car that is supposed to look fast actually be fast, it probably won't happen.

br()bert & Battery,
Can't we all just get along I think the point that br()bert is trying to make is that swapping a chevy v8 into the 944 is about the same as swapping a 944 engine into a camaro. If someone showed up and said "hey, I've got a Porsche inline 4 cylinder in my car" most of us would laugh. I'm sure a lot of us would say that they had ruined a perfectly good f-body by putting a "whimpy" 4 cyl. in it. Although in all seriousness, the 951 engine (944 turbo) can be very successfully modded and put up some fairly impressive numbers. Needless to say, this petty bickering over who is more wrong is just making things worse.

O.k., I'm done
Old 02-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Supreme Member

br()bert & Battery,
Can't we all just get along I think the point that br()bert is trying to make is that swapping a chevy v8 into the 944 is about the same as swapping a 944 engine into a camaro. If someone showed up and said "hey, I've got a Porsche inline 4 cylinder in my car" most of us would laugh. I'm sure a lot of us would say that they had ruined a perfectly good f-body by putting a "whimpy" 4 cyl. in it. Although in all seriousness, the 951 engine (944 turbo) can be very successfully modded and put up some fairly impressive numbers. Needless to say, this petty bickering over who is more wrong is just making things worse.

O.k., I'm done [/B][/QUOTE] YOu are exactly right, the chevy the guy put in it is 300 hp 350 tq. Now i found a site that tuned the 944 engine to 320 hp and 385 tq not to mention the weight difference. Throwing a different motor into a car from a different auto maker is stupid when you can mod the motor you have to perform just as good if not better then the motor you are thinking of swaping.
Now if the jackass had asked me about mo i would have explain it to him but instead he says " what do you know you have a v6"
Nice try gremlin... Joezero its good to see intelligent people still are here.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:20 AM

Actually, you are the only one rambling and calling me names. Oh yeah, I said "Quote from an idiot" so sorry, dont cry. I live in the North, rednecks are not exactly popular up here. I never once said you didnt know anything because you have a v6 "muscle" car. Okay lets modify an engine to hell and back and make just over the stock output of the LT1. Wow you're so bright. H/C/I that LT1 and wow, you have an NA Porsche that could smoke any Porsche.

I shouldnt have to ask for your opinion on why you made an idoitic statement without explaining it.

"Throwing a different motor into a car from a different auto maker is stupid when you can mod the motor you have to perform just as good if not better then the motor you are thinking of swaping."

So what you are saying is the 944 motor is better or at least equal to an LT1. That makes sense, stock vs fully modded... and then they make the same power, again, you're bright.

Any more names you want to call me before you make another post that shows how brilliant you are?
Old 02-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

I never once said you didnt know anything because you have a v6 "muscle" car.
Usually when you have a faster car, you have done it yourself and actually know about cars. As seeing you becoming so defensive about your pathetic v6 "muscle" car your opinion really doesnt matter to me.

the way these comments sound, yes, you did say he didn't know anything. please don't accuse people of not know something just because they have a v6/auto car. how do you know that he hasn't built fast cars before? how do you know that there may be some very serious reason behind not having a fast car. i built a 305 that would give any street car a run for their money. and that motor is going in my current v6/auto car that i just bought. so i currently have a v6 car, but that doesn't mean that i have not had the experience of building fast cars. i can't speak for br()bert, but if you want to do a background check on me (since you obviously won't take my word for it, i mean, i have a v6 car for cryin' out loud) you are more than welcome to go to the www.nsca-racing.com boards and ask folks about the knowledge of the "Preacher's Kid" and what kind of cars he has worked on. go ahead brother!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:38 PM

Okay lets modify an engine to hell and back and make just over the stock output of the LT1. Wow you're so bright. H/C/I that LT1 and wow, you have an NA Porsche that could smoke any Porsche.

So what you are saying is the 944 motor is better or at least equal to an LT1. That makes sense, stock vs fully modded... and then they make the same power, again, you're bright.
You're missing the point. The 944 comes with a 944 motor. So for all intensive purposes that motor is "free". Now, take the cost of an LT1, plus all of the necessary swap parts. Add in all the time it will take to rewire the car, change the motor mounts, make any modifications to the body, etc. You're now looking at the same amount of cost/time it would take to mod that 944 engine. So to say that it's not worth it to mod the 951 engine and that an LT1 is the better way to go isn't entirely accurate. I have seen guys get in excess of 400rwhp out of these engines. Add to that the fact that the transmission is mounted at the rear axel on the 944, and you can see where adding a lot of weight to the front end makes a big difference (the 944 is almost a perfect 50/50 weight balance between the front and the back, making for excellent handling). There is a guy with a black 951 that goes by rage951 on cardomain, you may want to check him out. He stuck with the 951 motor, is putting out around 425rwhp, and has a car that kicks *** in the quarter mile and on the road course.

Last edited by joezero; 02-16-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:00 PM

I am not necessarily supporting the swap. I wouldnt use an LT1 for anything unless I had it sitting in my garage. I agree with you, the swap would cost major money, and if you used it to modify the original engine you could make more power. But all I am saying is, if you did this, you could make the lt1 stomp that modded motor if you wanted to, but yes it would probably cost a bit more money then just modding the original. But people put LS1's into 3rd gens, and it costs them so much money, but they still love it. On a budget, I think thats the dumbest thing you could do. I could build such a more powerful small block then the stock LS1 for less money.

"the way these comments sound, yes, you did say he didn't know anything."

No I didnt, I was just saying he drives a piece of ****, and probably does not know anything about cars, he could of replied, Ive had, or built or whatever, but he didnt. Also, dont get your panties in a bunch, I'm not saying v6's cant be this, or are not nice.

And what I was saying, usually people who race cars, know about cars, or whatever have a car with potential or already have a fast car. This isnt always true. By his first initial post, he showed me that he was an idiot, then his name callings and other things while being really defensive shows me that he is just a little kid.

One last thing, when did I say anything about transmission? Who gives a crap what kind of transmission it is, whether it's, manual or auto, both can be used in fast applications...
Old 02-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

you didn't ask what he built, so he didn't tell you what he had built. why do you say his car is crap? just cause it's a v6? i haven't seen pics of his car to call it anything....you have contradicted your self several times in this thread. i think by starting the argument, you have proven yourself to be the immature one.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:09 PM

LOL all you v6 guys stick together, woohoo! Anywho, the only reason YOU think I'm contradicting myself is because you are taking what I'm saying the wrong way.

Did you not see this? "Also, dont get your panties in a bunch, I'm not saying v6's cant be this, or are not nice. " From my last post.

He started the arguement by this post. "what a great way to destroy a porsche". Thats all he said, he didnt explain himself or anything.

Oh yeah, I called him a "moron" for his comment, and he replies with

"By the looks of your post you have the mental power of a retarded 5 year old. My car has nothing to do with my comment you close minded gremlin.Please dont reproduce, the world has enough stupid people in it."

I started it..... yeah I started it....

Read his post again, and read mine, if you are calling me immature, you are pathetic. I guess I know not to offend the v6 crowd... its a fuel mileage thing I'm sure...
Old 02-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

here's my car bro...
Attached Thumbnails Check this out......LT1-310-3.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

i am by no means a v6 guy. i currently have a v6 car cause the white car above was wrecked the day after christmas. the motor in that pic will be going in the v6 car at the end of the summer.

oh, here's another for you.
Attached Thumbnails Check this out......LT1-turndowns2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

No I didnt, I was just saying he drives a piece of ****, and probably does not know anything about cars,
sounds like you called his car a piece of crap to me.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:18 PM

Yeah I called his car a piece of Shi* because only a person like him would drive one (please dont comment on this, I know what I said).

Can we please get off the if you have a v6 that means you do not know anything.

There are exceptions to everything. Infact I'm sure there are several v6 F-body drivers out there that know 10x the knowledge I do about engines/cars and anything automotive in general.

All I was saying is, by posting this "what a great way to destroy a porsche". with no explanation then I look to the left to see he drives a v6 to me shows he does not know **** about cars. I could be wrong, but probably am not.

You dont really ever hear of people swapping I4 cylinders into muscle cars or any cars that didnt orginally come with them because the potential to make power is not present like it is a v8.

I think when people swap 350s into rx7s is cool, so do a bunch of people. But I guess its stupid because you can build a fast as Mazda with the rotary engine.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:19 PM

By the way looks like a cool car, cool project. Have fun
Old 02-16-2004, 05:28 PM

Oh yeah, btw Here is my pile.
Attached Thumbnails Check this out......LT1-p10100091.jpg  
Old 02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Im glad to see more smart members in this thread and im glad you guys see how i based my opinion.
This guy is obviously inmature and **** and confuses ci with iq. Post after post he puts his foot in his mouth.
The reason i didnt post any exp i have had with any fast cars i have owned or worked on is because i didnt see the reason to.
In life i found its much easier to ignore *******s than to try to convert them.
But if you want to know in the past most of my exp with cars has been with fords. Two mustangs(85 and 98) and one thunderbird (88) And we all know hw people on here hate fords so ill go into my plains with the firebird.
Right now it has a 2.8 in it. newer trans.342 posi rear. Runs good since the head gasket replacment. Turned out the manifold was leaking coolant slowly also. While i had the motor apart i cleaned, ported ,polished everything i could as far down as i could. So far it has 108k. Got it all back together only to gain a collapsed lifter. But its not being replaced since the motors being replaced with a 3.4 this summer.
If i wanted a v8 3rd i would have bought a v8. I have grown tired of racing and just want a nice car with medium ***** to drive everyday.
Instead of being an ******* he could of asked why i said what i said. Just because someone doesnt agree with you doesnt give you the right to attack them. And as you see im not the only one who seems to think so. good luck in life...
Old 02-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

also since you think the size of the motor in ones car has to do with ones knowledge about cars in general id invite you to bring your pile to atco to race a friend of mines car. Im sure you'll beat his 10 second 4 cyl easy since you have a 350 and all.I dont think your 165hp tank will come close to winning. ALso an ******* who has to make a post on "how do i set my timing" shouldnt talk about not knowing much about cars.https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=202639 AND anyone knows what blue smoke means again *******s are the exception
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=203533
another
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=202639
Dont know how to hook up a dist
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=200237
doesnt even know what a tv cable is
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=199284
admitting he doesnt know how to check timing
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=153587
LOL yeah your car is fast https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=128866
SO after reading YOUR posts its obvious that YOU dont know **** about cars! SO instead of acting like an ******* maybe you could of asked me why i felt the way i did about the swap. Please educate yourself before you post again on this board, you owe it to the other members.

Last edited by br()bert; 02-16-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Okay, enough already.

This didn't start out 3rd gen, and has gone downhill rapidly.

There seems to be plenty of blame to spread around, so I'll just say "Cool your jets".

Plus, if you can't keep it tech, you can keep it somewhere else.