Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Engine Swap 305 TBI to 350 Carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R-4
Engine Swap 305 TBI to 350 Carb

Hey what up all. I wouldn't know what to use as a search term for this, considering I have a few questions, so here goes.

1: On my drivers side, underneath where the vapor canister sits (underside of the car) there is a ball shaped piece of metal/plastic that has a tube running to it from where near the smog pump was hooked up.

2: Since I have no smog pump, is that going to affect my heater? There are a few hoses, and other plugs that really aren't gonna have a place to go any longer, so im wondering if I'm gonna lose my heat.

3: ECM. I am going to holley 750 CFM carb, and am obviously not going to be using the computer to control anything (except for interior and lights and stuff, assuming it does that) so what do I do about the wiring? I was thinking to just leave the ECM, and cut out all of the sensors (o2, knock and a few other sensors) from the wiring harness, and leave everything else hooked up, and just hide it well. The only problem I have with that, is that I have seen many peoples cars on here that just don't look like they have any extra wiring in it 'cept the spark plugs starter, coil, distrib, and battery cables.

well thats about it. If pictures are needed of anything, let me know. Id really like to get this done soon so I can have my baby back!!!!

cheers! and thanks very much.....i know you guys probably get these questions alot, so its much appreciated!

x_wolfq
Old 11-30-2003, 03:14 PM

Also how hard is it going to be to set up an non CC HEI distributor and the ignition on this beast? Can I just use all the old wiring for the starter? Am I just going to run new lines to the HEI?

thanks again!
Old 11-30-2003, 11:48 PM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 6.3L 383 V8
Transmission: 700R4
1. The ball shaped cannister thingy is actually your cruise control.

2. The smog stuff will not affect your heater in anyway. However; there is a hose that runs from the smog pump to the heater pipe on the passenger side. You will need to block it off some how. On mine I just took a rubber elbow and stuffed it with a piece of round stock. Cranked it down with hose clamps and seems to run fine.

3. Be careful what you cut. Don't get snip happy. I stripped all the wires and traced them back. The ones I didn't need I got rid of. Which leads me to your last question. I'm running an Accel points distributer and external coil. I'm not sure exaclty how to do it with HEI, but with mine I just used a hot wire and ground from one of the sensors I didn't use. Everything runs fine on mine.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:25 AM

near where the line ran from the smog pump into the firewall, there is another hose that runs from the firewall and goes to the radiator. Is that just the Line for the heater? Im sorry if thats a stupid question but things look so different when there is no engine or radiator in the car....not only that I was an idiot and didn't label all that much...WHOOPSORS!!!

thanks!
Old 12-02-2003, 04:39 AM

Damn I knew I should've taken pics Yeah don't worry I did the same thing about not labeling. I got excited and started yanking stuff out. Paid for it later too. That line that runs from the radiator to the firewall is the one you need to cap off. Atleast on mine it did. Why the hell GM hooked up the radiator to the smog suckers is beyond me. Thats it though, you should have one line going from the manifold to the firewall and another from the firewall to the radiator.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:01 AM

oh ok gotcha! The small one goes to the manifold, the other to the radiator which I can block off thanks for the bit of info! That'll help things run a bit smoother after I get my engine bay painted up!

Thanks again, im sure I'll have more questions soon!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:08 AM

Right on, hope that helped. Well now is definetly the time to ask cause I just did mine a couple days ago. So if you got any questions feel free to ask.