Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

LT1 Swap into my 84 TA.....Questions for those whove done it or know bout it...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2005 330XI /94 Z28
LT1 Swap into my 84 TA.....Questions for those whove done it or know bout it...

Heres the situation guys...

I am putting in a 383 Stroker in MY 94 z...

And if you remember me posting in feb, my 84 TA had a carb fire from the mechanics fault. Anyways, i have the car in my possesion again 9months later and i think its time to put my old LT1 engine into the 84TA and bring it back to life!

So know i want to know the basics....how hard is it to complete an LT1 swap? What parts are needed? Anyone have an exact list?
Basically the parts that will come with the old engine thats in my Z right now is the Maf to the engine it self. I dont really anything much from my old engine for my 383.

So what else will i need? Or if u have any other thoughts or ideas, please let me know what u think.

and if u have any parts that'll fit an 84 TA, I probably might need it. so shoot my an email!

Long live the 3rd gen baby!

woodcy2004@yahoo.com
Old 11-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
I'm glad to see this swap coming up more often now that it has been around for a while. It's a great swap you can do that isn't really that complicated if you've got some mechanical and electrical skill. I'll try and answer your questions in the order you asked them.

How hard? Not very to fairly hard. It really depends on how you do some of the things and what accessories you use. If you have an F-body LT1 and want to keep the a/c you have to notch the crossmember to clear the compressor. If you have a vette LT1, no worries.

Parts? what transmission do you plan on using? 5-speed, just the stock 5-speed flywheel. 700r4? get a '93 TB to have the right connections. T-56? custom crossmember and all the hydraulics.

List? We're working on getting a swap site together now, no clue how long it will take.

Before anyone else chimes in I'll go ahead and tell you to do a search of this site and you'll find just about all the information you will need to complete the swap. There are a bunch of us on here now who have completed the swap and can help you out, but get as much information about it as you can first.

Good luck, you'll love it.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: L98 350 bore .060 out, Carb power
Transmission: slusher 700 beatbox
hey tex, you can use the stock t-5 in the swap? i got an 88 gta with the t-5 in it and im seeing all these lt1 swaps and i want to do it so bad now. it will work no problem? also, im thinking of using an aftermarket k-member because mines pretty rusted,like one of those cromoly ones from jegs or hawks. will it bolt up? i have to get diffterent motor mounts for the lt1 right?
Old 11-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Supreme Member

Yup, T-5 bolts right up with the LT1. Just use your T-5 flywheel.

Aftermarket K-member should work because the location of the mounts is no different from any other small block. You can move the mounts on the LT1 forward to be in the exact same place.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Banned

Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: L98 350 bore .060 out, Carb power
Transmission: slusher 700 beatbox
so do i need 4th gen motor mounts or can i use the GTA's? im gathering info now and gonna shop for parts after christmass
Old 11-18-2003, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

You can use the GTA mounts. They bolt to the LT1 block.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Camaro, 2015 Audi A4
Engine: V8
Transmission: 700R4
alright, i'm considering the same swap pretty seriously (engine is sitting in the garage). What's done with the computer? I tried researching and reading the repinning threads, but i have no idea what they're repinning or why. The engine and trans are from a 95 camaro, from what i've read, thats the best year to go for since it's got odb1 but still has all the revisions.

Say I've got the engine and trans bolted in the car. the wiring harness is all plugged into the engine (i'm going painless), and the ecm is sitting in the car, not hooked up at all. What else needs to be done? This is where i get lost....
Old 11-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, when you get to that point, there are a number of things that still need to be hooked up electronically.

1. Fuel enable signal. If you have VATS, this is the signal from that that tells the computer the right key is in the ignition and to turn on the fuel pump.

2. Your gauges wont work because they are wired into a separate harness. You have to splice in the tach, oil pressure, and water temp.

3. The computer won't have any power. You have to connect the correct power wires for the PCM to get power.

If your car does not have VATS it simplifies the installation a little bit, but I can't tell you how it is different because my car has VATS.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:53 PM

Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: LTX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 strengthed 7.5 inch
there is another option, you can send your computer to speartech.com and they will reprogram it and make a custom wiring harness for you... no troubles and it is almost plug and play..
Old 11-30-2003, 05:16 PM

Car: 1984 Corvette
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 700R4
Say I've got the engine and trans bolted in the car. the wiring harness is all plugged into the engine (i'm going painless), and the ecm is sitting in the car, not hooked up at all. What else needs to be done? This is where i get lost.... [/B]

I just sent my ECM to a guy and had the VATS disabled as welll as all of the emisions for $80 (He is on e-bay goes by Z28 and is located in IL) . The wiring is prety straight, just hook all the hots and ign leads up and wire your gauges to your sensors. I bought a corvette ZR1 temp sending unit because it had the 3rd wire to hook up my temp gauge with and the 2 leads for the ECM. A great book that shows detailed wiring (I wired my entire LT1 Swao from it) Is Corvette Fuel injection by Charles Probst ($20 on e-bay) I also had my ECM programed to work without any trany input since I Kept my 700R and didn't go with a L460E. So my spedo os hooked straight to my trany. This can be a problem if you have the older style 4000 PPS reluctor ring and the ECM is expecting a 100,000 PPS signal but like I said I had the ECM programed to ingnore the trany and installed a lock up kit for my 700 in the trany.