Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Engine bay pics, rewiring done...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto
Engine bay pics, rewiring done...

Ok I wasnt reall sure where to post this so here it is. Basically I just wanted to post a pic of the engine bay while the engine is out (swapping to a 350). I have my rewiring pretty much done I think, or at least all I really wanted to do. I just wanted to eliminate some of the non-used wires (the old AC that was removed and emissions stuff), and get the wires off the engine and out of the way so its not so messy. I'd like to find some spray touch up paint for the bad spots in the bay. If anyone has any suggestions on that, please let me know. Also, I'm going to pull some brackets and stuff and have them sandblasted (by me) and powdercoated (by my friend). And one more thing, since I have no AC, I'd like to make the heater box JUST a heater box (flat), what do I look for and where? I've looked on eBay but not sure what exactly I need for it, since I havent torn it apart. I figure I dont want more mess laying around if its at all possible to avoid, at least until and IF I decided to change it. Thanks alot guys!
Attached Thumbnails Engine bay pics, rewiring done...-engine-wiring-1.jpg  
Old 05-27-2003, 10:38 PM

And anothe one...
Attached Thumbnails Engine bay pics, rewiring done...-engine-wiring-2.jpg  
Old 05-28-2003, 01:07 AM

i think only '82-'84 cars and maybe 1le's came w/ out a/c, so you have to go to a junkyard and find a non a/c car of that year. ,, or make a new box out of fiberglass and use your old blower motor, or fiberglass the holes on your box shut. hope this helps... also, i have no a/c, cruise , 9th inj. etc,... how do you remove the wires, just cut and tape them?,,.. is this safe? thanks my motor is out now too!
Old 05-28-2003, 01:57 AM

Well when I had removed the AC and emissions stuff, I just snipped off the wires at the point where it came out of the harness. All I did now was pull the wires out of the black harness all the way back to the firewall basically, and just cut them off. They shoulndt cause any problems at all like that. I dont think they could ground themselves out even if they wanted to and if it even did anything besides blow a fuse that you dont need now anyways I'd be really surprised. I just cant stand uneccessary wires and crap in any engine. It drives me nuts. As far as the taping goes, I did bunde the wires together tightly before putthing them back in the harness just so I dont have any stray wires falling out or anything.

My main concern was mostly the big thick wiring harness that laid across the passenger side valve cover which was mostly starter wires. I pulled them all out of the harness and rerouted them seperately so I can run them under the headers now. Should work out nicely.

Later
-Ben
Old 05-28-2003, 09:57 AM

Yeah I am the same way, I hate all those wires lying around. I guess i'll do like you said and cut them all back,.Thanks for the advise. Anyway, what other wires are in the pass side loom that goes over the valve cover? I'd like to do the same thing you did and clean them up too. Now i jsut have to figure out what wire is which,, before i start cuttin,.. I think i know the cruise and a/c wires. What else di you remove? What other wires are uneeccesary. thansk a lot! :rockon:
Old 05-28-2003, 12:48 PM

There are a couple of plugs that go to that emissions box, dont know what it's called, on the passenger side ride behind the alternator (if you have a firebird). Those I took out. Also, I cant remember 100%, but I think the alternator plug is in that harness also, I pulled that all the way back, and I'm going to run that seperately to the alternator because there was some sort of startter lead coming from that also so I'll probably have to run that over the valve covers (one goes to starter, the other goes the the firewall, and they are to the same plug). All the other starter wires I ran seperately and put them in their own harness, and they are going to come from behind the engine and run under the headers.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:57 PM

Here I labeled this pic to show you what wires I pulled out from the harness and which ones I made into a new harness. All those misc. wires hanging down in the back, I pulled out more than they were so they will reach the carb and water temp sensor, etc. so I wont have to use that main huge harness on top of the engine. The plug to the alternator I stretched to the brake line just to get it out of the way, to sort some wires out. But here you can see it better.
Attached Thumbnails Engine bay pics, rewiring done...-engine-wiring-1.jpg  
Old 05-28-2003, 01:02 PM

Oh ya, what do you guys think of powder coating my intake manifold clear coat? I started sandblasting it and it gets it down to the complete bare aluminum. It isnt a polished look but I'm not really looking for that. I basically just want it to be aluminum color and be clean (just look new really), so I think just blasting it and cleaning it well, then clearing it with PC would look nice. Any opinions? Does anyone ever PC any pieces in their engine? Do you have any pics? Like brackets and stuff I mean.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:06 PM

thanks vry much! oh bTw, if u fiberglass the heater/ac box back together, you should gut it first! maybe even cut the front off and then fiberglass a flat board across the front. good luck i think the clear powdercoat will look nice!
Old 05-28-2003, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the advice Justin!
Old 05-31-2003, 12:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can usually get a standard heater box here:

http://members.***.net/iroczdave1

the engine bay looks good.