Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Nutek

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Formula
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: 700R-4
Nutek

Has anybody here installed a 383 or 396 stroker engine from Nutek Motorsports? Here is the link just incase you don't know what I'm talking about Nu-Tek Motorsports If anybody has would it be possible to get complete details on the install...If not, pictures would do...Thanks.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:45 AM

I have a Nu-tek 396, but I'm not sure exactly what you're wanting to know? It's just a regular SBC as far as swapping it in. Even with the Canton oil pan, it was a direct drop in. If you're thinking about ordering from them, be prepared for a long wait. They have excellent quality, but they are constantly behind schedule in getting things done.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:57 AM

Wow man that camaro must hual!!! About how long of a wait are you talking about? Also, completely different subject, do you know anyone on here that has done their own paint job...going to start preping mine and just wanted some input on how to go about it. Great car man; can't wait to get mine to that level.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:55 AM

I've done my own paint before. Its a PITA, really. Only good things about doing your own is its cheaper, and if you screw up, its all your fault, not some pro who shouldnt have screwed up
Old 02-10-2003, 04:02 PM

well I plan on racing the car competitively and didn't want to pay a couple thousand for a paint job just to get it all chipped up and scratched...I figure I will get a good paint job when I am done racing. I also like doing my own work so its kind of fun even when I screw up. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:52 PM

I waited over 6 months to get my engine, although I slowed the process myself by changing my mind on the heads. I decided to upgrade to the 100% competition CNC porting and 195cc chambers, which required me sending the heads back to AFR. Still, had I not changed my mind, it would have taken at least four months to get the engine. I think Nu-tek is suffering major growing pains due to their magazine coverage. Too much business, not enough employees. But quality does not seem to have suffered.

I can not give you any track times or dyno figures though . I'm suffering from transmission woes which require pulling the brand new transmission back out. Once I get those ironed out, I can give a better indication as to the true performance of the Nu-tek engine. As for now, all I have is a video of it running.

I can't give you any idea on the paint job. All I know is that I've done some sanding myself before, and it sucked. I will always pay someone to do that work for me, I hate sanding with a passion
Old 02-11-2003, 02:06 PM

I still can't get over how cool your camaro is. Sounds great too. Anyways, thanks for all the info...I'll probably get in touch with you when I get my Nu-Tek engine. I'll drop you a line after the paint job (if my arms don't fall off from all the sanding) hopefully I'll get some good pictures. Let me know how the tranny problem turns out.