Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Sell or Sue ...Would you buy?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 07:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 Convertible Z03
Engine: 383 SuperRam
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Sell or Sue ...Would you buy?!?!?!

Ok First, Mods please leave this open, it is helping me decide which route to take in a legal battle with the person who was originally going to build me an engine

I have all these parts for an engine that I dont need anymore, Its come time to make a choice, sell the parts, or sue for my money back.

the parts are

350 4 bolt main block bored .30 over with Cam bearings installed (for a 383)
Claimer hypereutectic Style Pistons
5.7" Rods
Hasting Rings
Have all the bearings
Rods and Pistions are all allready pressed together
Flexplate
Balancer
Timing Chain
Only Cam I have is a brand new (0 Miles) stock one from a '92 spec shortblock I ordered.
400 Crank

The block needs to be line boared and clearance. I am told that it is all balanced, and it does look like it, I cant garauntee it, or anything else. parts are brand new.

Would you buy it, and how much would you pay.

Please help me decide to sell or sue.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:00 AM

Please huh?

Well... I am going to leave this here for a little bit, see what sort of responses you get. For sale items should be in the classifieds.

Sue the guy? Did you pay for any parts or labor that you didnt get? If not, you have no basis to sue him.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

In may we agreed he'd build me a 383 stroker in "a couple weeks" after weeks of no contact in July he told me all machine work and balancing was done skip to september still wasnt done. we agreed he'd give me the parts and I would get the work done elsewhere

Get the parts back, a week later he give me the block, not my original block, now he decides to tell me that my #8 cyliunder cracked in pressure testing, didnt give me my valve covers, oil pans, lifter guides

Block needs to be line boared ( was told it was done) and clearanced

long story short he gave me parts that still needed work that I paid for. and I didnt have the time/money to finish it.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id say if u didnt get back the parts u bought or had him buy and he gave not the original parts back or any money back id say sue him. and sue him good
Old 11-09-2002, 08:20 AM

Well, I say if you bought parts that he still has possesion of and he won't give them back to you, I would go get an attorney and bring it to small claims court. If he is running a business and does maching work and told you that the parts that you have are machined but they really are not then you should sue him under (in massachusetts we call it title 93a) basically this allows you to sue him for three times the original amount. Meaning that if you spent $3000 on parts and labor and he didn't do it or give you back all the parts etc etc. You can sue him for $9000. This law was put in so people would think twice before commiting an act of fraud. I don't know what the exact laws are like in your state, I just know in mass it is called 93a. Mass is pretty liberal so you might not have that law avaliable. But do not sell!!! Sue him, from what I have read and if I understand it correctly he screwed you! So go after him. Good Luck!
Old 11-09-2002, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

Basically what happened is we had an agreement, I paid a deposit for parts and machine work, I'd give him the rest when its done. he took 10x longer than planned, we agreed he'd give me the part ( new and machines) and we'd be even.

Well I got it all back and it needed time and money still put into it that I just didnt have.

I wrote him a letter saying, give me my original parts back, I'l give you your parts back, and I want my deposit back. He then sent me a letter saying that all sales were final, I got what i paid for. Sent me reciepts for the parts kit that didnt even have a company name or number or anything on it ( he coulda made it in excel for all I know)

My only ??? left in my mind is if I should sue him for the money back, or just sell the parts, selling is safer, but suing get him back.

BTW, hes a cop
Old 11-09-2002, 02:17 PM

Ok let me just make sure understand, did you buy parts from him, and then pay to have them machined by him, or did you buy parts from other places and then send them to him to have them machined? List the parts that you bought, and then list the parts that you recived from him.