Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Tubular Crossmember For BBC Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002 | 11:17 AM

Car: 78 T/A
Engine: 454
Transmission: TH400
Tubular Crossmember For BBC Swap?

I'm thinking of buying a 92 RS (my brother has one now-TexasLT1, so the camaro blood runs in the family). If I get the car, near the very top of the list is a 468 solid roller motor.

I have a few specific questions.

1.) Is the tubular k-member necessary, and if not, will it make it any easier?

2.) Will I be able to run LT headers, and dual exhaust, or even single 3" with SFCs?

3.) Would the Tubular crossmember, tubular a-arms, a manual rack, and battery relocation be enough to lighten the front end enough to offset the extra couple of hundred extra pounds from the big block?

4.) Purely theoretical right now, but would there be enough room left over in the engine compartment for a twin turbo setup?

Thanks,
Cale

I know this topic has been hashed and re-hashed many times here, but I could never find these questions.
Old 05-14-2002 | 12:38 PM

Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 427 BBC
Transmission: T400
There is some info (and pics) on my page from when I did the swap.

1) No. Maybe.
2) Probably not. I used Hooker SC and they still needed some clearancing work. I run flowmasters off the headers, then a single 3 inch out the back.
3) Probably not quite. Try aluminum intake, heads and move the battery should be close.
4) If you are going to turbos, stick with a small block.

Miles
Old 05-14-2002 | 01:20 PM

Tubular K is not needed for BBC Swap. The tubular K, control arms, pinto rack and coil over kit was worth 80lbs over factory parts with an s-10 manual box. if changing over from P/S count on another 15 lbs. a battery weighs about 25-35 lbs so count that. Will the BBC have aluminum heads/manifold? aluminum heads and manifold on a BBC are a 110lb difference (90 lbs for just the heads). with just these items you are very close already. swap the hood, an aluminum water pump and lose some of the smog equipment and you are there.

BTW, I did not have the rollcage tubing go past the shock towers to leave room for turbos, they fit nicely where the puke tank and the battery would normally go. I used a T100 to trial fit, so if that fits, anything will. The intercooler is a separate issue. There was a guy @ Orlando this past october in Pro street who showed up with twin T100 (big thumpers) on a 632 in a 71 chevelle. It got the wheels turning over the winter.

www.nescaracing.com
Old 05-14-2002 | 06:45 PM

Car: 78 T/A
Engine: 454
Transmission: TH400
Cool, I was thinking maybe get a glass hood anyway. If the BBC goes in, I think I'll go ahead and get the Kmember just because, and get all the tubular front stuff. I was plannign on the aluminum heads, intake anyway, so we're cool there.

I'm going to make another post about this, but what kind of induction are y'all running, and is there any way to make one of these BBCs pass emmissions in TX. Supposedly we are going to have the sniffers again next year

Thanks,
Cale
Old 05-14-2002 | 08:48 PM
25 Year Member

Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
I don't have the tubular crossmember (yet). If you took a stock SBC and a stock BBC, the BBC will only be about 150 pounds heavier. Swap to aluminum intakes on both and it would be closer to 100 pounds heavier. Aluminum water pump, mini starter etc and the weight can be close to a typical SBC.

Room for turbos will depend on how much you plan on stripping out of the engine compartment. Heater/AC system and power brake booser take up a lot of room. My engine compartment looks very empty compared to a street car even with the BBC in it.

A well tuned carb and engine should pass emissions but you can always buy a good aftermarket EFI system that should have no problems.
Old 05-16-2002 | 02:06 PM
COTM Editor
20 Year Member

Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56
I have the tubular cross-member from PA Racing and it opens up quite a bit of space for you. You can also get them made to drop the engine as much as 2-inches and move it fore and aft. I also did the coil-over setup they offer but opted for spring perches just in case I want to go back to a stock-style setup.

Turbos would easily fit in the wells for the battery. The tubular cross-member makes it easy to run the turbo header up high and the exhaust run to the rear down low. Won't afford ground clearance for street driving though.

I had headers custom made my Lemons Headers in California. Look them up and see what they have. They'll make anything you want.