Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Working on that
Wiring Harness

Is there a manufacturer that makes a wiring harness for an engine swap eliminating all of the emissions sensors and ecm? Looking for something that still allows my factory options, i.e. air and cruise.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi
Re: Wiring Harness

Nope. Mice got to my wiring and I have been rewiring the engine compartment off and on for a while now.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:40 PM

I hope you are wrong. Figured Painless or someone would make one that eliminates all the emissions garbage.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

The best harness for your ride is: An original 87 Engine harness. All that harness does in a 87 Camaro is run the Engine, gauges, and wipers.

The 87 ECM harness can be completely removed from the car and a basic Carb SBC will run with full gauges and working wipers.

In 87 ALL the optional accessories ( Cruise, Fog lights, etc.....) are wired with independent accessory harnesses. You could take EACH accessory and remove it from your 87 and install it in *just about* any other 82-87. ( 88-92 too if you splice power and ground. ) "Options packages" were sold to the public for the first time in 87 instead of ordering each and every option with a check mark on a order sheet,.... but the actual accessory was still installed as an independent item. ( That changed in 88 ! )

The 87 was a 1-year ENGINE harness due to the small-cap distributor and the alternator wiring,..... but if you change those 2 plugs than any 84-87 Engine harness would work fine for any basic engine swap. Would need to add a choke wire to a fuel injected ENGINE harness & might need to splice an AC wire or 2 as well if you keep it,............. pretty basic stuff.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:55 PM

Thanks John, GREAT Info! Plans are to run an FI Tech injection and I will be swapping out the distributor as well. I have a 383 and T-56 set to drop in with a UMI cross memeber. So if I just pull the harness going to my ecm that should eliminate about 75% of the rats nest they had under the hood on this car. I know one thing. I won't miss all that wiring. Question I am going from the idiot light guage cluster to a factory custer with speedo, tach with real guages. Will that harness still allow it all to work?
Old 06-25-2020, 08:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Originally Posted by absaraka
I hope you are wrong. Figured Painless or someone would make one that eliminates all the emissions garbage.
I wish I was but in the seven years I've owned my '87 I have yet to find one.

That being said everything you need to make a new one, or have one custom built, is readily available on the open market. I simply removed my C100 and decoded/mapped the pins, then drafted the new engine harness into the old one.

Since I'm no longer using the factory ECU I removed everything related to it and basically hand to keep the 12v Keyed, 12v constant, ground, gauges (Coolant, oil, tach), and the starter wire. Took me longer to figure out what wire did what then to actually do the work.

Painless does make a stand alone TPI harness, which is as close as you're going to get.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:15 AM

Yeah kind of what I have discovered. Planning on using my phone line toner to chase out the wires to eliminate the ECU and will run with the rest of it from there. Really wish Painless made a plug and play as well.