Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

WTF?? Is this right???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92'Camaro RS
Engine: a loud one
Transmission: bolted to the engine
WTF?? Is this right???

Never new this.... You can use a computer chip that came out of a car that had a automatic transmition and use it in one with a manual transmition. But not visa versa??? (of course the ECM modules are the same)

Last edited by david roush; 03-12-2002 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:49 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Use the right chip for you application. Engine type, size, year, and transmission should not be mixed. If you have an auto use one for the auto. If you have a manual use one for manual. The IAC follower (and some other) stuff can be vary different leading to all sorts of drivability problems. It may run, but not like it should. This is not something you want to deal with. Do a search over on the prom board to learn more, this have been gone over a lot over there.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:53 PM

Really how this came about is i am about to swith from tbi over to tpi. Since camaro's never made a 350 with a manual transmition i was stumped on what chip to use. So i called hypertech and the guy was throwing out millions if possibilities ,trying a vet chip with a 350 manual tranny.( had no vats though) Then he went and asked the tech people what chip i should use and they recommended using the chip for an automatic. Said it would work for the manual tranny but not visa versa.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:37 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
It will work, but you should really look at burning your own proms. I don’t mean to sound like I’m preaching, but DIY PROM burning is the best way to deal with this situation. It’s not that expensive to get into. I would think about starting with a BIN for a SD TPI 305 5 speed, Then import the fuel and spark maps from a 350 TPI. This way you have all the little stuff for the 5 speed and the fuel and spark for a 350. This would ONLY be a starting point. The real power and driveability is in the fine tuning. Try some searching over on the DIY PROM board, see what it takes to get started, its not that bad.
Old 03-14-2002, 06:37 PM

Well eventually i am going to have one burned, maybe do some research and do it myself, it's just i have so much cash tied up in this right now i am just trying to go easy on the wallet for a little. The iroc that i gagged this from already had a chip in the ECM so that's what i am going with for the time being. I have only been planning to do this for 6 months and just go started on it today. Want sub frame connectors first before the chip.