Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

GTA tail light problems. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 07:45 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
GTA tail light problems. Any suggestions?

I'm having some problems with my GTA tail lights and it's driving me nuts.

It all started when "R LAMP" would flash and beep over and over and over on my system status panel. It drove me nuts. Instead of just staying on, it beeped over and over. Anyway, I pulled all the bulbs, made sure they were making good contact, and reinstaled them. Then my directionals stopped working. With the key on, the directionals would blink rather slowly, staying on more than off. If I put the park lights on, they'd stay on 90% of the time, and flash off briefly.

I yanked every single bulb and replaced them all. They were originally 2057 bulbs, but all I had were 1157s. I replaced them all, and it seems to work well. My directionals are still a little sluggish, but they seem to work ok. But... the damned "'R LAMP" is still showing on the status panel. It's on constantly now (major improvement over the beeping), but I want it gone.

Oh yeah, I pulled off the ground that was attached near the hatch pull down motor, and the blinkers didn't work at all, so it's safe to assume that's where the bulbs ground through. I got rid of the junk GM ground piece and used a traditional ring terminal and a scratchy star-washer.

I also checked all of the other bulbs in the car, and they're all working fine.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 02-25-2002, 10:52 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
anybody?
Old 02-25-2002, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lamp out monitor works by having a couple small shunt resistors in series with the taillamps. voltage drop across resistor is monitored and tells when a lamp is out.

less current to taillights = less voltage to monitor module = lamp out warning illuminated

check grounds closely, look for dirty pins on the lamp sockets, and use the manufacturer recommended bulbs. (other bulbs may have a different resistance and falsely trigger the lamp out warning). also look for bad splices and corroded connectors in the taillight harness (taillight & fuel pump harness run on inside of car under carpet along drivers side of vehicle)