Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Alarm: On board lock relys? Neg. or Pos. door switch??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm: On board lock relys? Neg. or Pos. door switch??

I just got an alarm for my '89 Formula WS6. The only real questions I have is that im confused about:

1) Does my Firebird have a Negative or Positive Door Lock switch?? (I think its Positive)

2) Does My Bird have "On-board" door lock relays or not??
What does "On-board" mean??

My alarm is a Black widow 3000.

Thanks for anyone that can help.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this is your first alarm install, great choice on the Black Widow 3000; very easy to put in.

If you go to www.the12volt.com, you'll find a description of how a relay works, as well as diagrams of various power door lock systems.

'80s GM cars use on-board relays...a simple positive pulse to the light blue wire triggers the lock relay, which will cause the actuators inside the door to move to the lock posistion......positive pulse to the white wire causes them to unlock.

The Black Widow's instructions on the doorlock wires are somewhat confusing.

On the 5-pin Black Widow door lock harness, hook the purple to constant positive. The brown and white wires are not used. The green goes to the lock wire in your car, and the blue is for unlock.

I'm pretty sure your car is blue for lock and white for unlock, but I always forget which is which. In any event, connect the wires in a temporary fashion, and make sure the locks are moving in the desired direction before you put the car back together.