Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Turn signal problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 06:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro rs convertible
Engine: Built ls1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Turn signal problem

I am getting frustrated with what is probably a simple fix but I do not know what I am missing. Quick background of the car, its is LS swapped and used a painless wiring harness with ECM. Everything in the car works electrically minus the hazards and turn signals. The known issues are as follows:
When I plug in the front lights and brights, I can get all 4 of them to come on but when I hit the brights switch, all 4 lights turn off. Not sure what is going on there but might be related to the bigger issue.

The issue I am trying to resolve at this point though is the blinkers and here is what I have done for troubleshooting thus far:
I have tested voltage at the fuse panel for the turn signals and get 11 or so volts( basically battery voltage) at that fuse with key on.
I have tested voltage at the blinker switch (the little round silver relay that has the 2 wires going from it into the dash) and that has 11 or so volts as well with key on.
When I put the parking lights on I get the 2 larger lights on the front lower bumper to light up but the 2 smaller lights on the fender do not light up. If I hit the blinker switch, either way, nothing happens. There is no audible sound from the silver relay (have tried replacing with with a known good relay with no change) and on the dash I only get a solid right directional light to illuminate, that is it. The rear tail lights do not blink either but the rear lights do illuminate when the parking lights are on. I have brake lights as well. I have good voltage at all 4 front lights when I turn the parking lights on. But, when I put the key in the ON position and I just hit the turn signal switch (without turning the front lights on) I get no power to the front turn signal lights, 0 voltage. Not sure what i need to check next, but I am beyond frustrated with it and getting to the point of saying screw it and just rewire everything. These are the last little things I need to finish wiring wise to get the car fully functional.

I want to add that I have LED lights in the front bumper parking lights and LEDs in the tailights, could this be the cause of the problem?

Last edited by camarorsssss; 07-28-2024 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2024, 07:52 PM

Re: Turn signal problem

Quick update, after looking further into the issue, I decided to start taking out all of the exterior LED lights I used and started going back to stock filament bulbs. I was able to get my hazards to work now, but do not have the rear tail light bulbs to replace the LEDs I used. I am hoping that once I replace with stock units, the turn signals will work again.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:23 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans AM
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700-4r
Axle/Gears: 3.23

They will work again. Did u replace the blinkers with electronic units? Because led lights produce much less resistance than
normal bulbs, u require the electronic blinker(s)
Old 07-29-2024, 11:47 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 Bolt, 3.27 gears

So not sure if this helps but I had added Osram Sylvania Zevo LEDs in the rear. They are supposed to be dual filament (one for tail and one for turn) but did not seem to work. I did not realize until driving at night that the the turn signals did not work when the taillamps were on. With the help of some of the senior mods, I replaced the bulbs with the incandescents and had no issue. I have since found LED bulbs that have both functions and have fixed the issue. Not saying this is your issue but it may be part of it. Also need the LED flasher relays as suggested above.
Old 07-30-2024, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by hessm70
So not sure if this helps but I had added Osram Sylvania Zevo LEDs in the rear. They are supposed to be dual filament (one for tail and one for turn) but did not seem to work. I did not realize until driving at night that the the turn signals did not work when the taillamps were on. With the help of some of the senior mods, I replaced the bulbs with the incandescents and had no issue. I have since found LED bulbs that have both functions and have fixed the issue. Not saying this is your issue but it may be part of it. Also need the LED flasher relays as suggested above.

What LED's did you end up using that worked?
Old 07-30-2024, 03:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Borg Warner 9 Bolt, 3.27 gears

Well not sure on reliability but for these off eBay and they work so….

Old 07-31-2024, 03:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 252 Likes on 188 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

Originally Posted by camarorsssss
I am getting frustrated with what is probably a simple fix but I do not know what I am missing. Quick background of the car, its is LS swapped and used a painless wiring harness with ECM. Everything in the car works electrically minus the hazards and turn signals. The known issues are as follows:
When I plug in the front lights and brights, I can get all 4 of them to come on but when I hit the brights switch, all 4 lights turn off. Not sure what is going on there but might be related to the bigger issue.

The issue I am trying to resolve at this point though is the blinkers and here is what I have done for troubleshooting thus far:
I have tested voltage at the fuse panel for the turn signals and get 11 or so volts( basically battery voltage) at that fuse with key on.
I have tested voltage at the blinker switch (the little round silver relay that has the 2 wires going from it into the dash) and that has 11 or so volts as well with key on.
When I put the parking lights on I get the 2 larger lights on the front lower bumper to light up but the 2 smaller lights on the fender do not light up. If I hit the blinker switch, either way, nothing happens. There is no audible sound from the silver relay (have tried replacing with with a known good relay with no change) and on the dash I only get a solid right directional light to illuminate, that is it. The rear tail lights do not blink either but the rear lights do illuminate when the parking lights are on. I have brake lights as well. I have good voltage at all 4 front lights when I turn the parking lights on. But, when I put the key in the ON position and I just hit the turn signal switch (without turning the front lights on) I get no power to the front turn signal lights, 0 voltage. Not sure what i need to check next, but I am beyond frustrated with it and getting to the point of saying screw it and just rewire everything. These are the last little things I need to finish wiring wise to get the car fully functional.

I want to add that I have LED lights in the front bumper parking lights and LEDs in the tailights, could this be the cause of the problem?
I suspect the LEDs you have in the front and rear are just fine, assuming they're the correct type, which is probably 1157. But you need the LED (no-load) flasher in place of the stock flasher (the silver relay). LEDs produce such a small electrical load that the system doesn't detect them and behaves like the stock bulb has burned out. Put in such a flasher, and most of your problems will likely be solved.

Newest are resistorless LEDs that work in the turn/brake/tail, which don't require a flasher change. Reliability was an issue in the earlier types, but they've been improved and work much better now.

Regarding the front side markers, 194 LEDs are typically polarized, where one side is positive, and one side is negative. Those won't work properly in the front side markers, because both wires going to the bulb are positive. You need non-polarize 194 LEDs. They're pretty easy to find online, but polarized are still the most common off-the-shelf.

What about your headlight issue? Did you swap those to LED too? Because it sounds like another LED issue, where the connectors just need to be re-pinned.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:37 PM

After going back to stock bulbs in the rear, everything seems to be working as it should. I ordered the LED blinker switch, just waiting for it to come in. I havent played with the headlights at all again. I have the HID headlights and wiring harness for those bulbs and from last time I can recall, everything worked with the headlights and brights as they should before I did the LS swap. Its possible I might just have them wired wrong, but I will trouble shoot them this weekend. I have been jumping back and forth from my car to my sons 90 camaro convertible, dealing with a vats issue. Working on bypassing the module and getting that thing up and running.