Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Third brake lamp wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305TPI
Third brake lamp wiring

Hello. I've been trying to research this and everything is kinda vague. I have an 86 trans am. I noticed when i stepped on the brakes my defroster came on. Does it every time. Also my third brake light is not working with the brake, the regular brake lights are working. I understand that they share ground. Through testing i have found i have power on the left side (driver) of the bottom half of the hatch switch and ground on the right side (passenger). So the top of the switch, the past attached to the Hatch has two wires coming out the back, black on the ground side and blue on the power side. They go to a plug to the left side of the hatch. This plug only has one wire coming out the other end for the power, the ground side is empty. This is where I'm lost. If i jump power to the power side of the connector, blue wire, then run a manual ground from the right side of the lower half of the hatch switch to the ground connector on either side strut the third brake lamp comes on. I'm not the best with electrical I'm lost. Is the ground side of the connector on the hatch missing a ground terminal that should attach to the hatch??? If so i don't understand how i have never noticed this issue before I've owned the car for two years and i just noticed this on a drive to the car show. Is there something else I'm missing?

Last edited by Jatwood381; 09-13-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 09-14-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305TPI
Re: Third brake lamp wiring

Um, yea. So never mind I'm an idiot. I checked the ground connections at the hatch side of the struts... they were fine. The one of the connectors on the body side was disconnected. Totally overlooked it and went way to deep. Keep it simple stupid