Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Hatch Pull Down Motor Allignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird Formula T-Top
Engine: SP383 FIRST Fuel Injection
Transmission: T56 Tremec Magnum
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt, 3.42 Eaton Posi
Hatch Pull Down Motor Allignment

So I recently installed a new hatch pull down motor, but it's not working correctly.

When I pop the hatch, the motor stays in the down position. If I hit the little black switch on the motor, it raises up. Then when I close the hatch it pulls it down as expected. I thought no big deal, I just need to hit the switch whenever I open the hatch.

Well this morning, the battery was dead. I charged it back to full and started trouble shooting. I put an amp meter on the car and it showed 6.5 amps of parasitic draw on the battery. I pulled the 15A fuse for the hatch motor and the draw went away.

So I'm assuming that the motor is continuously running after the hatch is closed and that perhaps the way the hatch striker aligns with the motor is the problem.

Hoping someone else has had this issue and can offer some guidance.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-03-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Iroc Z-28
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Hatch Pull Down Motor Allignment

I had this same issue on my hatch motor. When you shut the hatch you need to make sure that you hear the motor actually hits the shutoff switch. You will need to have your head near the motor while it closes to hear it. If it doesn't click, push down on the back of it until it does click. If this also fails, you need to adjust the whole assembly up a little.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:57 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
Re: Hatch Pull Down Motor Allignment

Originally Posted by 89firebird
So I recently installed a new hatch pull down motor, but it's not working correctly.

When I pop the hatch, the motor stays in the down position. If I hit the little black switch on the motor, it raises up. Then when I close the hatch it pulls it down as expected. I thought no big deal, I just need to hit the switch whenever I open the hatch.

Well this morning, the battery was dead. I charged it back to full and started trouble shooting. I put an amp meter on the car and it showed 6.5 amps of parasitic draw on the battery. I pulled the 15A fuse for the hatch motor and the draw went away.

So I'm assuming that the motor is continuously running after the hatch is closed and that perhaps the way the hatch striker aligns with the motor is the problem.

Hoping someone else has had this issue and can offer some guidance.

Thanks in advance!
It sounds as if your hatch pull-down unit is set a bit too low. As a result it is stalling out before reaching the end or the down cycle. Solve it by marking the location of the unit to the body with a permanent marker. Then loosen the three 13 mm bolts and raise it up, then tighten. You should hear a CLICK when the pull-down unit reaches the bottom of the down cycle. That sound is the reversing switch being tripped to end the down cycle. Fix it soon! The motor can be burned up by stalling and still powered.

Lon Salgren