Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

'87 T/A GTA Headlight Motor/Horn not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
'87 T/A GTA Headlight Motor/Horn not working

I know that I'm smashing two things together here, but I figure it'll save me a bit of time in the long run. I have an '87 Firebird T/A GTA with a finicky headlight motor and a busted horn.

As far as the headlight motor is concerned, it goes up and down with no problem, however after it goes down, the motor keeps spinning for 3 to 5 seconds. Makes a terrible noise. My first thought is that the problem is either the bushings or that plastic gear that controls the raising/lowering motion. I've seen bushing and gear replacement kits, but I wasn't sure if I should try the kit first or just buckle up and buy a new motor altogether. I also wondered if it could be a problem with the relays not telling the motor to shut off, but I don't know anything about those.

Now the horn is a bit more of a problem. It's kind of important. At first I thought there was a fuse out, but I checked the fuse box and they're all in good shape. I then pried off the steering wheel cap and found that the button isn't connected to anything. That normally wouldn't be a hard fix, but there are no wires or connections anywhere that I can see, even with a flashlight. My question is basically what should I do with it? Run new wires or try and figure out where the old ones went?

Last edited by krob95; 08-05-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: '87 T/A GTA Headlight Motor/Horn not working

You need the new kit. It will solve your problem with the headlights.
http://www.top-downsolutions.com/hea...ght-repair-kit

On the horn, run a hot from the horn fuse or follow exsiting wire and reconnect it to the button on the wheel. You'll have to run the wire in the steering column.