Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Passenger brake light not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016 | 08:24 AM

Passenger brake light not working properly

I apologize if this is a simple fix but I can't find a solution anywhere. I have a 1985 iroc-z that I've been restoring and the passenger brake light has been out for some time. I've had the car for about 18 months and I might have put 500miles on it since I've bought it so I'm just now getting around to fixing it.

Anyways, yesterday I replaced every bulb in both lights with proper halogens and the passenger side running light/brake light acts backwards somehow. When you turn the head lights/running lights on the pass side is very bright like the brake is being applied. If the head/running lights are off and you apply the brake to the car, the pass brake light is dim like you just turned on the head/running lights only.

It's almost as if the bulb is wired backwards? Does anyone have any advice or have seen this before? I can take some pics this afternoon if that helps. Thanks for any replies in advance!
Old 06-05-2016 | 10:26 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Passenger brake light not working properly

Bulb is probably in the socket backwards. Which is supposed to be "impossible"; but once someone has forced it, the socket expands and it is permanently fornicated.

Turn the bulb around.

If the bulb is right, then some PO with dykes, the kind that shouldn't be allowed to own them, effed it up. At that point, all you can do is, trace the harness back, and find the p***** track he left.

But, as my signature says, most likely you'll find that it's the bulb in the socket backwards.
Old 06-05-2016 | 12:24 PM

Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

You may also want to check your ground connections at the tail/brake lights and the side markers while your at it. Being over 25 years old, the wiring and connections do get corroded and will cause all sorts of weird problems. Just something else to check. HTH!
Old 06-05-2016 | 01:29 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Here's a visual of the bulb base:

Name:  1157_base_zpsdgwdpqoe.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  50.6 KB

Note the different positions of the little side posts. The bulb should only be able to be installed into the socket one way.
Old 06-05-2016 | 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Bulb is probably in the socket backwards. Which is supposed to be "impossible"; but once someone has forced it, the socket expands and it is permanently fornicated.

Turn the bulb around.

If the bulb is right, then some PO with dykes, the kind that shouldn't be allowed to own them, effed it up. At that point, all you can do is, trace the harness back, and find the p***** track he left.

But, as my signature says, most likely you'll find that it's the bulb in the socket backwards.
^^^ That's it lol scary thing is that it went in really easy -_- I flipped it and it works fine now and it's in good and tight thankfully. I feel very stupid for not just trying that before I posted on here lol