Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

83' Camaro Berlinetta 2.8 v6 Wiring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83' Camaro Berlinetta 2.8 v6 Wiring Problem

I bought this car last summer and the thing was running great up until a few days ago I had a major breakdown. Just driving home and the whole car shuts down on me. Absolutely no noise when trying to start it and the only things that work in the car right now are the lights inside the car and the headlights.

I've checked the fuse box and only 3 of the fuses are getting power. Checked the wiring going to the fuse box and everything seemed to be there and intact. The battery shows 12.5 volts and the connections are clean. I've checked most of the wiring I can see and it all seems fine to me but wiring isn't my strong suit. I just don't really know where else to look.

Sorry if there is another thread for this, I couldn't find one
Old 06-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 679 Likes on 484 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: 83' Camaro Berlinetta 2.8 v6 Wiring Problem

Originally Posted by nikolaithedrunk
I bought this car last summer and the thing was running great up until a few days ago I had a major breakdown. Just driving home and the whole car shuts down on me. Absolutely no noise when trying to start it and the only things that work in the car right now are the lights inside the car and the headlights.

I've checked the fuse box and only 3 of the fuses are getting power. Checked the wiring going to the fuse box and everything seemed to be there and intact. The battery shows 12.5 volts and the connections are clean. I've checked most of the wiring I can see and it all seems fine to me but wiring isn't my strong suit. I just don't really know where else to look.

Sorry if there is another thread for this, I couldn't find one
Nikolai , you need to check the "Fusable Links" . These are special sections of wire that are connected from the big terminal on the starter and they feed power to all of the car's electrical devices . I'm pretty sure there are 3 fusable links and if you do a search here for "fusable link" you'll find tons of posts describing them and how to troubleshoot them . The new links can be bought at autoparts stores and are really inexpensive . Thing is , it's usually a short circuit in one of the devices being fed power from the link that causes it to go open (these act like , and take the place of the bigger fuses seen in modern cars) although sometimes ya get lucky and the link itself just got corroded from compromised insulation on it (for example) .

Good Luck with it , and welcome to TGO !
Old 06-03-2016, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 83' Camaro Berlinetta 2.8 v6 Wiring Problem

Thank you very much. I'll be sure to have a look and have it fixed soon.