Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Rat nest wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rat nest wiring

Its pretty bad. But im gonna try to take everything thats not needed. Any ideas where to start with wire removal? Its an 83 camaro. It had a 305 4bbl.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Rat nest wiring

Everything that comes from the driver's side and presently goes up over the brake booster is "needed", no matter what. That's ignition, gauges, starter, charging, that sort of stuff.

The big harness that comes out of the pass side and goes between the strut tower and the AC accumulator is the ECM harness. You'll need that if you're putting the CCC carb back.

The harness that comes out from under the heater hoses is the HVAC. You'll need that.

Looks to me like you'll be wanting some split-loom of various sizes. Maybe some tape and tie-wraps.

Generally speaking though, looks AHELLUVALOT better than some I've seen; shouldn't be too tough to put back into working order.

I would AVOID "wire removal". Think the other way around instead: "wire preservation". THEN AND ONLY THEN, once you've identified what needs to be preserved FOR YOUR INTENDED SETUP, AND ONLY THEN, begin considering "removal".

WORST POSSIBLE THING YOU CAN DO, is to bust out your dykes, and indiscriminately start chopping. That'll put you in the class of people who, if you had to qualify for a license to own a pr of dykes, you couldn't pass the test. There's LOTS of those people on this board. Don't stoop to their level of ignorance.

I don't see cruise control; musta been a low-option bottom kind of car. It has LG4 or maybe even 6-cyl exhaust. (never even laid eyes on a 6-cyl myself, so I'm not sure what it looks like at all) Although I DO see a V8 transmission so that's a plus. Pretty sure no matter what you put back in there, every single piece of the exhaust, EVERY PIECE, from the heads to the bumper, will need to be replaced though.

Correct path will depend heavily on what engine configuration you install.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 04-16-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:04 PM

Vin says L69. Not gonna break out the dikes. I should have been more clear. Clean up wiring. And take out the ecm and wiring. There are places where 3 or 4 wires were twisted together and wrapped in tape.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:08 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

OK, so what's the question?

How is the car going back together?
Old 04-16-2016, 11:17 PM

You pretty much gave me what I was looking for as of right now.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:01 PM

Old 04-17-2016, 03:02 PM

From here its figuring out what goes where.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Can't tell what the stuff in the 1st pic was; looks like there's a whole bunch of non-factory stuff there, might be best to open up the main harness and see what it hooks to.

2nd pic, looks like the tach lead; goes to the dist.

3rd pic is ignition. Also goes to the dist. I'd recommend getting rid of all that the PO did and doing it right; while it might plug on and work at the moment, the odds of it randomly leaving you sitting by the side of the road (usually just at the most inopportune moment) are near 100%.

It's really not hard at all to entirely remove the harnesses from the car, cut all that CRAP electrical tape job off of em, put a few tie wraps on em strategically, spread em out on the ground at the car wash, soak em w engine degreaser, wait a bit, then hose em off real good. Then you can actually SEE what you're working with. The main engine harness comes RIGHT OUT: take out the screw in the middle of the bulkhead connector (8mm if memory serves), unplug both that one and the one to the body (headlights and all such), it'll just fall right out and you can work on it in comfort and ease, and not struggle with everything.

I HATE filth. I refuse to work on dirty stuff like that. Life is too short to wallow in a bunch of .... that. CLEAN IT UP, your life will improve dramatically.