Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Starter Wiring shorts

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Wiring shorts

I have an 85 Camaro and i'm having trouble locating shorts. The current wiring is kind of shoddy and while I want to fix it, that's on my future list. Today i replaced the heater core and started the car fine. After shutting it off it no longer did anything after i turned the key. I checked if it was the neutral safety switch by putting the car in neutral and trying to start it, still nothing. For some reason, the trunk switch doesn't work (it did before) and the taillights are shorted to always be on. i disconnected the battery until i figure out what the hell is going on. Any help would be appreciated but this might just be a case of spending a lot of time chasing wires.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:14 AM

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Re: Starter Wiring shorts

I would check all fuses first. Troubleshoot the starter wire by checking for 12 volts at the wire feeding the solenoid. The small one. It should get system voltage when you try to crank the car. If so, you will need to check your starter. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. For the tail lights, I think I'd start at the back of the switch with a visual inspection. Maybe move the wires around and see if the lights go off.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:04 PM

so after some clear thinking, i believe the tail lights are the brake lights, not the standby. therefore it must be the sensor under the pedal as i was checking the brake fluid and bleeding the lines earlier. as for the wiring, i checked all the starter connections and they're all tight and running the proper voltage, the one wire i did move by accident when replacing the heater core was the ignition wire to the distributor cap. would that cause the starter to receive no current at all?
Old 03-27-2016, 03:33 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI

You can easily differentiate the tail lights from the brake lights by checking the front. The parking lights should come on with the tail lights not the brake lights. So you found system voltage on the wire going to the starter from the key? If that starter wire (which I believe is purple) is receiving 12+ volts when you turn the key to the crank position, it should crank. If it doesn't, check the crank fuse. What engine? Fuel injection or carb? Also, what is the 8th digit of your VIN? I would attempt to prove or rule out the starter as the cause of the problem at this point.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:11 PM

Well i found the problem, the wire from the ignition to the distributor cap wasn't in well enough, as for the brake lights, the mechanical brake position sensor had the head of it ripped off so there was nothing telling the lights to turn off. Now my only problem is the coolant system is still ****ed. After replacing the heater core i brought the engine up to temp and did a test drive and coolant is now all over my passenger seat floor again. the only other thing i can think of is a loose hose, ill buy some hose clamps tomorrow.