Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Head lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed standard
Head lights not working

I have a 1992 firebird and ever since i bought the car my headlights had never truly worked the way that they were suppose to. I replaced the switch and that didn't do the trick. I had a buddy of mine rig the lights so that they would work . i finally decided to restore my car back to its former glory. I looked all over the forum and have checked the fusible links by the starter and they were working. I re soldered the the red wire that goes to my headlight switch (my buddy cut it and ran a wire to my battery with a fuse). Also my gauge lights and interior lights don't work. Yes I've checked the fuses. Im guessing i have a short but also wondering if there is some thing else I'm over looking.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:15 PM

Re: Head lights not working

Any one?????? …. lets see i checked all the fuses/ fusible links, i checked the red wire at the terminal and i don't get any power. my gauge lights don't work along with my dome lights and lets not forget the rear hatch motor. any other suggestion would be appreciated
Old 03-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Formula
Engine: SP383 Deluxe FIRST® TPI Intake
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" Eaton Truetrac Motive 3.89

Old 03-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Looks like you have multiple circuits that are affected. It could be a fuse link or connection at the starter but you said you check them. For Your Info, the INST LPS 5A fuse in under the dash, right side of the steering wheel. It is not in the fuse box. You have to remove the panel and crawl under there to see it. If it's not the fuse links, the current is interrupted along the line somewhere. You will have to test step by step from battery to the end to make sure current is present (use the diagram)

Best of luck!

Last edited by SbFormula; 03-12-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by SbFormula
Looks like you have multiple circuits that are affected. It could be a fuse link or connection at the starter but you said you check them. For Your Info, the INST LPS 5A fuse in under the dash, right side of the steering wheel. It is not in the fuse box. You have to remove the panel and crawl under there to see it. If it's not the fuse links, the current is interrupted along the line somewhere. You will have to test step by step from battery to the end to make sure current is present (use the diagram)

Best of luck!

So I peeled off the wireloom and harness tape. I traced the power wire to the firewall and after that point I had no power. I took the bulk head connector apart and found the terminal all burnt along with the slot it goes in. I connected a jump lead to the other end of the connector and presto all my interior lights started to wrk along with my tail hatch motor. I was getting power to my red and orange wire on the switch. Still my headlights didn't turn on. I then grabbed a test lead and ran it to the tan color wire on the switch still my head lights didn't come on but my tail lights did. I tried turning my high beams on and that did the trick. My high beams come on but not my lows.

The power wire that ties in all lights

The burnt slot where the power wire went in. It's all melted

Last edited by herb17024; 03-13-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Supreme Member

Last edited by SbFormula; 03-13-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:32 PM
Supreme Member

Last edited by SbFormula; 03-13-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

When you say your high beams came on, was it just the high beam or both low and high? I'm thinking maybe both low beams are burnt! I would test at the beam itself to see if you get current on tan wire.
Best of luck!

Last edited by SbFormula; 03-13-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:05 PM

When you say your high beams came on, was it just the high beam or both low and high? I'm thinking maybe both low beams are burnt! I would test at the beam itself to see if you get current on tan wire.
Best of luck!

I only got power to the green wire. I put a test light to it and the tan. The tan wasn't getting any power. I haven't messed with my car today but I will give it another look tomorrow. Not to get off topic but I took the bulk head apart. I wanted to test all the leads and 27 yrs of heating and cooling took its toll on the plastic. What is a good alternative bulk head I can use to replace my stock one. Thanks again for your reply you have been a big help.👍🏽.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by herb17024
I only got power to the green wire. I put a test light to it and the tan. The tan wasn't getting any power. I haven't messed with my car today but I will give it another look tomorrow. Not to get off topic but I took the bulk head apart. I wanted to test all the leads and 27 yrs of heating and cooling took its toll on the plastic. What is a good alternative bulk head I can use to replace my stock one. Thanks again for your reply you have been a big help.����.
What bulkhead???

If you have current coming out on the yellow from the headlight switch and you're pop up activate... Something could be wrong with the "high beam switch" in the steering colum. I would unplug both head lamps and the head light dash switch then test continuity between the yellow at switch connector and tan at head lamp. If the "high beam switch" is at fault, you need to remove the steering but make sure you follow procedure so the air bag doesn't blow in your face. Probably lots of info on TGO for that.

Last edited by SbFormula; 03-14-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:18 PM

What bulkhead???

If you have current coming out on the yellow from the headlight switch and you're pop up activate... Something could be wrong with the "high beam switch" in the steering colum. I would unplug both head lamps and the head light dash switch then test continuity between the yellow at switch connector and tan at head lamp. If the "high beam switch" is at fault, you need to remove the steering but make sure you follow procedure so the air bag doesn't blow in your face. Probably lots of info on TGO for that.

By bulk head I mean the connection that mates the wires from the engine compartment to the inside of the car. I wantedto just replace it with another stock replacement and seal it up nice to keep it from carroding the wires. I will go that route but if there is a better bulk head connecter out there why not upgrade it.

Ya I will give it another look tomorrow.

The bulk head connector from the engine compartment. I removed it to check all my pins and part of it broke. Looking to either replace with OEM or upgrade it to something better
Old 03-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by herb17024

By bulk head I mean the connection that mates the wires from the engine compartment to the inside of the car. I wantedto just replace it with another stock replacement and seal it up nice to keep it from carroding the wires. I will go that route but if there is a better bulk head connecter out there why not upgrade it.

Ya I will give it another look tomorrow.

The bulk head connector from the engine compartment. I removed it to check all my pins and part of it broke. Looking to either replace with OEM or upgrade it to something better

I would not know about that! I would assume OEM should be fine. Yours have seen better days obviously. You might want to check with these guys:

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/
http://tpiparts.net/82_92_firebird_harness_and_wiring

Give them a call. Hawks has lots of use parts and TPI Parts might be able to get you one as well. Also, you might need to splice the new wires together with some solid soldering and shrink tubing in the case you get your hands on a good used one.

Last edited by SbFormula; 03-15-2016 at 08:21 AM.