Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Alarm install messed up Dash Lights, help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe Convertible
Engine: Your Momma
Transmission: I can go forwards and backwards
Alarm install messed up Dash Lights, help!

One of the old owners of my car installed an alarm. I guess in the process the dash light wire was cut. So when I bought it the dash lights never worked. Removing the carpet I found one of the constant power source wires the was probably to the alarm and tried hooking it up to some things and boom! The dash lights turn on. I made a ghetto rigged switch now to this wire so that way the lights work. My guess is that the alarm guy cut it between the "INST FUSE" circuit.
I know based on the fact that it is getting no power except from the ghetto switch that I should try hooking it to the "INST FUSE" circuit. Now where is this circuit that I wire it to?? Near the fuse box meaning I remove that big black panel under the drivers side dash?? Any detail on what it should look like is what I need. Any help appreciated for this weekend project and make the "Ghetto Cruiser" less ghetto.

Last edited by Joez88Camaro; 12-22-2001 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-24-2001, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe Convertible
Engine: Your Momma
Transmission: I can go forwards and backwards
Well, I got no help. But I decided to attack it alone. I undid the fuse box and got hold of the green and gray wire. I wired the gray wire to the other wire that must have been cut by the stereo install and still no power, err. This means either the green wire that's deep in the dash has been messed up or the dimmer switch is messed up! How do I fix this??
Do I now have to rip out the entire dash?