Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Different location ALCL connector

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 swap
Transmission: manual
Different location ALCL connector

Hi all, hopefully you can help me with this. When I bought my 1986 irocz, the previous owner has placed a manual fan switch and next to it, a connector that I thought was the ALCL connector. I tried to pin today and I noticed that it only has 4 pins. The light never flashed. I have attached a picture for you all to see. I don't know where to look for the original location of the ALCL connector to confirm if they tried to relocated. Can somebody tell where to look? I have the service manual but I can't find the location where it is.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Different location ALCL connector-image.jpeg  
Old 12-29-2015, 10:28 PM

Re: Different location ALDL connector

I meant the ALDL connector
Old 12-30-2015, 08:00 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Different location ALCL connector

Looks like the ALDL to me.

Should flash when the 2 upper right pins are shorted.

It's not impossible that someone has completely removed the computer from your car, in which case no amount of anything done to any connector, will make the light flash. Might be worthwhile to see if it's still there. If your carb isn't the factory one, there's an especially good chance it's gone.

If I may offer you some help with your profile, BBL isn't an engine code or the like. bbl is the abbreviation for "barrel", as in, "4-barrel carburetor". In days gone by there were 1- and 2-bbl carbs as well as 4-bbl ones, even on V8s. The LG4 is a 305 4-bbl.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:44 AM

thanks for the info and will fix my profile. I thought the connector was suppose to be a 12 or 16 pin(cant remember) this one seems to have only 4(active pins).

My engine light does not come on either when i crank it. I checked the bulb in the instrument panel and changed it, it didnt work. All other lights in the panel work.

I read in another thread that there is some type of connector( ADL or LED, or some name like that) hidden somewhere the radio is that control the SES light. Should I look for that next?

I will post as soon i find the name
Old 12-30-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ALDL port has a lot more pins than what are actually connected to anything. That is the only place I am aware of to cause the car to flash it's code.

Like sofa said, there is a chance your computer has been bypassed. If you turn the key on and the SES light doesn't come on for a few seconds then attempting to get it to flash the codes won't do anything. If you checked the bulb then the next thing to check is if the computer is there and plugged in.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:59 PM

Thanks. I found the computer and tracked it down. It is connected.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

So the problem at hand - first and foremost - is that there's no Check Engine Light,... right ? When you turn the key to RUN the C/E light should come on - even if there is no ECM is connected.

You checked and the ECM is present and connected..... Have you replaced the cluster bulb with a known good bulb yet ?? If the bulb is known to be good and the ECM/Wiring is OK than your Lamp Driver is probably the problem.

IIRX all carb cars had a 'Lamp Driver' that would power the C/E light,... and the ECM would shut it off. Here is a picture of it:

Here is a thread showing pics of it's approximate location on a 82 Firebird Dash harness:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...ht-module.html

P.S. You'll have to pull off the hush panel and take a look around to see if the original ALDL is still intact - or if the P/O installed a modified/custom ALDL. Since your car is a stick I would assume a couple wires are not on the ALDL because you have no TCC circuit for the auto. Sorry - I don't have a pin-out of the 86 ALDL handy !!

Good Luck !

Last edited by John in RI; 12-30-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:22 AM

Thanks, John, and yes, the SES light does not come on. Yesterday I removed my radio and a/c and couldn't find the lamp driver back there. Next, I will look in the area that your pic shows. Correct me if I am wrong please, but you pic is around where the ECM is, passenger side(map pocket is)?
Old 12-31-2015, 07:27 AM

OH forgot to mention, if I ground the light bulb socket, and the ignition in on position, I get 12 V. I have tried several bulbs.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:17 PM

The hush panel, I guess, you mean the plastic panel that cover the ECM, cruise control module, etc.? If so I removed the panel, and saw the computer, cc module, but nothing that looks like the green connector above. I have also attached a picture of the connector from service manual.

Do I need to remove anything else up in the dash?