Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Distributor Remove and Installing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro RS 25TH Anniversary Edit
Engine: V6
Transmission: Manual
Distributor Remove and Installing

I'm trying to get this blasted distributor out of my 92 Camaro RS V6. I managed to get the bolt out and now the distributor body now turns. But I don't see this distributor hold down clamp I was told to look for. Then I was also told I might not have a clamp and that the bolt that I have already removed should be it. And all I need to do is to lift the distributor right on out. But it seems to be stuck in there pretty darn good. I have my new distributor already and was told to just pry and yank on the old one until it comes out. Eehhh... that didnt sit to well with my thought process.
So please, anyone... help out your friendly neighborhood Spyder-Man.

Last edited by Spyder_TheGamer; 11-20-2015 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished with the post before accidentally hitting submit
Old 11-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 723 Likes on 515 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Distributor Remove and Installing

Originally Posted by Spyder_TheGamer
I'm trying to get this blasted distributor out of my 92 Camaro RS V6. I managed to get the bolt out and now the distributor body now turns. But I don't see this distributor hold down clamp I was told to look for. Then I was also told I might not have a clamp and that the bolt that I have already removed should be it. And all I need to do is to lift the distributor right on out. But it seems to be stuck in there pretty darn good. I have my new distributor already and was told to just pry and yank on the old one until it comes out. Eehhh... that didnt sit to well with my thought process.
So please, anyone... help out your friendly neighborhood Spyder-Man.
If your 100% sure you took out the right bolt , and the distributor is free to turn side to side but won't pull up and out , the reason is that a ridge of caked on , burnt on , sludgy as all hell oil residue has built up and the best way I've found to get around this is to twist it side to side while pulling up with considerable force to break free the old dinosaurs that have it glued in . Some folks will resort to prying it out with a 2x4 about 4 foot long , but I really don't advocate that , WAY too easy to break stuff that way .

I'll enclose a picture showing the bolt and hold down clamp , and if you look closely at the rusty distributor's O ring area you will see the sludge buildup I'm talking about .

Good Luck with it . PS , I one time was into Paintball , and one of the popular paintball guns was the "Spyder" , just curious , is that where your screen name comes from ?
Attached Thumbnails Distributor Remove and Installing-firebird8.jpg  
Old 11-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

I had to wiggle the rotor while pulling up with a lot of force to free mine. It also might help to tap it with a dead blow hammer a few times.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro RS 25TH Anniversary Edit
Engine: V6
Transmission: Manual

Nope form good ol' Spiderman himself. Apparently I've been obsessed with Spiderman ever since I was young. But the name is always taken, I wonder why? So I substitutd the "I" for "Y". I'm also a freelance artist and do a lot of comic book work. But thanks for the help, I got that bad boy out doing just what you suggested. Now if y'all could look at my newest post and help good ol' Spydey out once more. By the way everyone on 3rd Gen are just f'in awesome.