Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

1984 Camaro Berlinetta Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015 | 07:05 PM

Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 305 5.0L
1984 Camaro Berlinetta Light Problems

So just a few days ago I turned my lights on, started driving, then all of a sudden my hazards turned on for no reason and when they did I couldn't shut them off or my lights. I couldn't switch to high beams, couldn't switch to only the parking lamps, nothing. Once that starts happening I have to turn off my car and unhook the battery and hook it back it. After that it stops but it will start happening again at random which could happen immediately after I start it up or start driving or it might take a mile or 2 of driving then it happens. Does anyone know what might be wrong? Oh and also its not the lever type of turn signal with all the buttons on it. It's the buttons and little tap (up/down) **** that's on the dash on the left side if that helps.
Old 11-05-2015 | 04:18 PM

Re: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta Light Problems

Sounds as if you have a turn signal / headlight pod OR a light control module gremlin.
Contact this guy and he will surely help you. His name is John and he is the Berlinetta guru hands down !

http://www.berlinetta.info/

Mike
Old 11-12-2015 | 05:15 AM

Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 305 5.0L

Thank you, I talked to him and he did say it's more than likely the light module. Now the problem is I've searched parts stores, the internet and even my own restoration catalogue made specifically for my car and the light module seems to a mythical item that doesn't exist anywhere. I searched the part number on it and all that came up was the ECM alone. Is there anywhere I can buy a light module that works?
Old 11-12-2015 | 07:50 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Multiple issues like that are often and generally caused by a poor ground/s. It may help to find out what and where your grounds are and meter them out. Grounds on circuit boards are typically larger than the surrounding traces as they are designed to carry more current. Looking past the module, and the fact it happens when the headlights are turned on you may want to check the grounds up by the front in-between the radiator and battery. You should find two wires connected to the body. Otherwise, it may be heat related with a part failing after it warms up. If it is heat related you may be able to use freeze spray (internally) or something similar to verify that this is the issue.

You can try opening the pod to see if you can visually find anything and/or check it with a multi-meter. Be careful taking it apart as the plastic is often brittle and if you break a stand-off, it may be difficult to reassemble. It may be a case of corroded contacts between circuit boards or cold solder joints. Your success will depend on how familiar you are with electronics and interior plastics.
GM often re-purposes parts from car to car in order to save money and sometimes you can find the same part in a different car inside of a different package. If that were the case, then you could swap out the internals. That said, the Berlinetta appears to be more of a test bed of sorts with newer (at the time) technology. If you lack skills but know someone local that does general (and older) electronic repair, they may be able to fix it for less than a speciality shop. Edit: It's common for older capacitors to dry out and they should be replaced, also as mentioned the solder joints could also be re-flowed.

It's not a bad idea to keep an eye out for pods and pick them up for as cheap as you can find them. The best deals would most likely be a local part out. It may be a simple matter of swapping with another used one. Be careful swapping because if there is a short, you may end up damaging the new (to you) part.
If you do have a spare, you can work on that while you keep the other in the car. I know if the RH pod is removed the wiper will run continuously which makes the car undrivable.

Last edited by Scorpner; 11-12-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2015 | 01:42 PM

Hmmm,
I'm surprised he did not offer to sell you one. Maybe he doesn't have any more? I think I have a few spares in storage. I will look Friday morning before I go into work and let you know. If I dig one up, I will be sure and test it. What can you offer me for it? I would have to have yours as a core so if we agree on a price add a tad more for a core. When I receive yours I will refund the core charge.
I have to admit, your light control pod looks a little worse for wear. If you plug in the replacement light module and it does not cure your problem I'm sure we can do a refund and work out something on a replacement control pod. I know I have a few of those put up for spares. Let me know what you decide.
Mike
Old 11-12-2015 | 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Me? I'd rather just show someone how to fix their own. It may just be a ground issue anyway.
Old 11-16-2015 | 10:13 PM

My grandpa is having the same issue with his Berlinetta, and I've been trying to locate the light module part for a bit now. Mike M if you have one, we're interested in talking to you about it! I sent you a PM as well, but as I'm new to this forum I don't know how it alerts people.
Old 11-20-2015 | 12:22 PM
Supreme Member
25 Year Member

Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

I don't recommend dissecting a Blinker pod unless it is absolutely the last resort because they are assembled by the factory with "plastic welds" and are not the simplest things to re-build once they are dis-assembled.

Very doubtful that Steve's issue is a bad ground, unless that bad ground is a busted contact foil contact in the pod or a bad ground circuit on the Light Module circuit board. When lights are turning themselves ON/OFF by themselves,.... the Light Modules' circuit board is usually fried.

MOST OF THE TIME - The easiest way to figure out if a Lighting problem is caused by a Pod or a Light Module is usually to 'JUMP' ground to the various buttons on the back of the pods circuit board. Just about all the button control on the Pod Circuit boards are controlled by a switched ground. For example; lets say the LEFT blinker isn't working. Once the bulb is tested good and the wiring to the bulb is found to be OK and the cancel cam in the column is checked.... Leaving the pod connected and probing the button foil contacts ( as in the pic ) will activate the LEFT blinker if the Light Module is OK. ( same is true for all the other buttons/functions controlled by both pods.)

Each button on the pod uses a foil contact to activate each function. Each foil contact has a grounding "TAB" in the middle of it so when the button is pressed the foil contact touches ground TAB and completes the circuit. EVEN IF the foil contact was destroyed on the inside of the pod - "jumping" the contact with ground ( as pictured ) should make the LEFT blinker work if everything else ( wiring, Light Module, Bulb ) in OK.

NO,... I don't have any working light modules I can offer. I only recently got lucky & acquired one for my own use.

Old 02-21-2016 | 03:32 PM

Car: Silverado /70' Dodge Charger
Engine: Vortex V-8....440 mag

Originally Posted by John in RI
I don't recommend dissecting a Blinker pod unless it is absolutely the last resort because they are assembled by the factory with "plastic welds" and are not the simplest things to re-build once they are dis-assembled.

Very doubtful that Steve's issue is a bad ground, unless that bad ground is a busted contact foil contact in the pod or a bad ground circuit on the Light Module circuit board. When lights are turning themselves ON/OFF by themselves,.... the Light Modules' circuit board is usually fried.

MOST OF THE TIME - The easiest way to figure out if a Lighting problem is caused by a Pod or a Light Module is usually to 'JUMP' ground to the various buttons on the back of the pods circuit board. Just about all the button control on the Pod Circuit boards are controlled by a switched ground. For example; lets say the LEFT blinker isn't working. Once the bulb is tested good and the wiring to the bulb is found to be OK and the cancel cam in the column is checked.... Leaving the pod connected and probing the button foil contacts ( as in the pic ) will activate the LEFT blinker if the Light Module is OK. ( same is true for all the other buttons/functions controlled by both pods.)

Each button on the pod uses a foil contact to activate each function. Each foil contact has a grounding "TAB" in the middle of it so when the button is pressed the foil contact touches ground TAB and completes the circuit. EVEN IF the foil contact was destroyed on the inside of the pod - "jumping" the contact with ground ( as pictured ) should make the LEFT blinker work if everything else ( wiring, Light Module, Bulb ) in OK.

NO,... I don't have any working light modules I can offer. I only recently got lucky & acquired one for my own use.

I have the same problem with mine, if I take out the light control fuse, and place.it back in the fuse block, sometimes everything starts working again, and sometimes it goes back to doing the same thing..lights stay on and emrg. flashers starts flashing. My fuel gauge reads full and my battery Guage doesn't read correctly
Old 03-06-2016 | 09:59 PM

I have an 84 Berlinetta. My Wipers were doing goofy things like not turning off.
I cleaned corrosion off the wiring by the wiper motor and it stopped.
Attached Thumbnails 1984 Camaro Berlinetta Light Problems-berlinetta-red-brick-building.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
CarSick (12-06-2023)