Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Need help diagnosing broken odometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015 | 04:23 PM

Car: 91 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: stock
Need help diagnosing broken odometer

So I just bought a 91 GTA a couple months back and the odometer was intermittently working on it. I've read that the gears can get old and break so I bought a donor gauge cluster to swap everything out.

I got mine disassembled and sure enough, the teeth on the gears were stripped so I swapped the new ones in and reassembled everything. Went for a short drive and still no functioning odometer. I could hear a loud ticking noise which I thought might be the motor. I noticed that the motor from my original cluster was quite easy to turn and had some in/out shaft play. The one from the donor cluster was much tighter. Not knowing how the motor should feel, I reused my original the first time. So after that quick drive, I disassembled everything again and this time swapped the motor out. Put everything back together and went for a drive. Still no functioning odometer. I can still hear a ticking noise but it's not nearly as pronounced as before.

I'm really stumped and not sure what direction to go at this point. Has anyone else had a similar issue or have any clue what might be the problem here?
Old 01-19-2015 | 09:22 AM

Car: 91 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Need help diagnosing broken odometer

Just a quick update to provide some addition info. I drove the car around a little bit the last couple of days and both times the odometer would not work at first. After a period of time, it did appear to be working and operating properly. I'm not sure what's causing the slow start. Any ideas?

I also drove it to work this morning (about 20-25 min drive) and it didn't work the entire time.