Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help with Fuel Pump wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013 | 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: SBC 400
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77
Help with Fuel Pump wiring

Hello,

First a little about my car. Used to be a CFI car, now carbed (No ECM control) This is how I bought it. As far as I know it still has original fuel pump. All the stock relays were removed. It currently has a 4 pin fuel relay. I did not do any of the wiring in the car. In the past, I was always able to ground out pin 86 I believe, the relay would click and it would activate the fuel pump. If the car sat for a long time and the carb bowls were empty, this is how I would get fuel into the carb before trying to start. Well just the other day I tried this as I got a new fuel filter. I wanted to run some fuel through the lines. Nothing happened. No relay click, no fuel pump activation.

I thought bad relay, so I bought a new one. Still the same thing. I'm thinking the fuel pump is bad. The thing is, I'm not sure what wires are for what, as someone did a hack job.

I have a wire running from a 12Volt source from the fuse block, when the key is on, it's hot. This wire goes through the fire wall where it is hooked up to another fuse. From this fuse a wire runs and is spliced into two wires: Pin 86 and 87. Pin 30 is white and I believe runs to the fuel pump. Pin 85 is black and I believe should be ground. This is according to diagrams I have looked at. This is how it was always hooked up since I had the car, and it always ran in the past. There is an oil pressure switch hooked up that will cut fuel when pressure is low. This has always worked also.

If I reverse the black and white wires however, the relay will click and supply power. but will only shut off if I turn the key off. Once key is on again, power is supplied. All this time the pump will not run however...I'm guessing it's getting power though. Is it a bad pump? I'm at a loss here. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2013 | 12:40 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: Help with Fuel Pump wiring

Originally Posted by 1982TA
..I'm guessing it's getting power though.
Only one way to confirm it , put a DVM or test light on the wire out of the relay to the pump

Originally Posted by 1982TA
There is an oil pressure switch hooked up that will cut fuel when pressure is low.
Think about it ;
if the relay is always supplying power to the pump so long as the key is on , how is a switch operating off oil pressure going to cut the pump ????????