Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Weird Hacked Starter Wiring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Hacked Starter Wiring Issue

89 firebird formula, auto with retrofitted th350 trans

Problem: Trying to undo some weird wiring the previous owner did..

In order to start the car, the previous owner, had a pushbutton in the cupholder. Two wires were going to it, through the firewall, and tapping into a large purple wire going to the starter. Instead of drawing power from the normal circuit, he was tapping off the power to the back up lights by switching wires at the neutral safety switch on the hurst promatic 2 shifter. I guess this was popping fuses all the time.. as it blew one on me.

What I have done to troubleshoot: He wasn't getting power by normal means to the starter. I have checked the NSS switch in open and closed positions.. with a voltmeter. I get connectivity. I checked the starter enable relay, with a 12v power supply, and it clicks, and I can get a circuit through there. When everything is connected like it should be... (The NSS wires are not connected to the back up lights, I hear a click at the starter enable relay. I replaced the ignition switch on the rear steering column.. not a fix.
The Key has vats, and is getting the proper resistance at the two pronged lead..

Any idea why he did this? I think he knew what the problem was.. but he lied to me about it. I'm guessing the power issue is before the starter enable relay.. what should I check next? I don't like the idea of tapping onto the power for the backup lights.. i'd rather spend the money and put it back right.
Please help me oh firebird gurus!
-Floyd
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro
Engine: 355 N/A mind 400hp build
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Weird Hacked Starter Wiring Issue

are you getting keyed power? turn key forward get lights and the whole nine yards?? If so... you are ahead of me a step with my car lol!!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:56 AM

Re: Weird Hacked Starter Wiring Issue

Yes, The fuel pump cuts, on, power, everything.. just no crank, unless i'm feeding it power from the backup lights. There's something not pushing juice upstream before the starter enable relay.. any idea what? lol