Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

My LED instrument panel project!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Mystifying 1989 TBI Camaro.
Engine: 1992 350 Truck Engine. TBI
Transmission: 700R4 when it wants to be.
Axle/Gears: 2.73
My LED instrument panel project!

Well I finally did the LED conversion! I did not buy the plug in modules from Super Bright LEDs because a friend told me that people were having problems with them going out after a few months. His reasoning had something to do with the actual voltages our cars put out when running.

Instead, I bought 50 Straw Hat LEDs from eBay for $3.06 shipped and ran them in a series of 4 and had to drill a little hole and add one extra since there are only 11. I made it where I had to force the LED in so it won't come out. Also used hot glue and hope it holds up in the summer. If not, I'll have to use epoxy.

No resisters used whatsoever!

I did cut down the sockets for easier access for soldering.

I'm going to add a few more the next chance I get because I want to brighten up the top of the speedometer and fuel gauge a little. Blue is a difficult color for this, but I think it turned out pretty good! I painted the metal piece between the cluster and Plexiglas flat white for added effects. Odd looking in the day, but just look at it in the dark!

These pictures don't do it justice!!!

Took this right after putting it in.

Name:  f90da02e.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  35.5 KB

And I took these in the parking lot at the grocery store. I had to go there right after getting the cluster back in the car and was waiting on my son when I snapped them. Crappy yellowish background parking lot lighting. I was hoping they wouldn't be green looking because of that, but the blue stands out rather well!

Name:  427aebf2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  3bb4eb98.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  51.5 KB

Here is the back of the cluster. I really have no reason as to why I left the wires with so much slack, but when I add more at a later date, I may shorten them up a little. It doesn't hurt anything like this. You can see on the far right where I added the extra LED.

Name:  a346fffb.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  131.8 KB

I'll be doing the climate controls next!

Last edited by jamienoel; 02-25-2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Noticed an error
Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: My LED instrument panel project!

That looks really nice. I'll be interested to see how the climate control comes out since the factory set-up is a joke as far as seeing the controls at night.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS 25th Anniversary
Engine: 305 TBI -> 305 TPI
Transmission: T5/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.08 - 3.73+ soon

Dang, I'd say that it looks much better than some of the "plug-n-play" versions i've seen around here. Goodjob.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 AM

Thanks!

I'm hoping to be able to do the climate controls within the next few days and will snap some pics when finished.

Everyone I've physically shown this to are generally in awe because it's much clearer with the human eye than the photos depict and just not something you see.

I really think painting the metal piece is what enhanced the illumination because the effect appears similar to a black light on a white object. I just wonder what it would look like with the white face overlays?

I had most of the stuff needed laying around other than the flat white paint, so it cost next to nothing.

I was amazed at how cheap I could get the straw had LEDs and will be buying different colors. I eventually want to do some kind of interior lighting project.

Really need to find out if the hot glue will hold up in the summer so I can use epoxy if needed. I don't need the hot glue melting and causing them to short out.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 PM

I don't need to add more lights to the cluster!!!

There was a bad connection and the top left 4 were not lighting at all.

It looks perfect now with the upper part lit up!

Was in awe all over again after discovering the problem and correcting it!!!

I'll have to get an updated pic!

Took the screws/bolts out for the climate controls to see what I need for the conversion. Will need to work something out because I'm not quite sure how to make it look right. Ideally, I would like to take it completely out and bring it in the house to work on, but I need to see what is required to remove it from the car.

*Update: I need to fix it again. There seems to be a bad connection with those top 4.

Last edited by jamienoel; 06-24-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Discovered I didn't update that it needs fixed again.