Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Problems with fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with fuse box

Hey there, I have a 1990 camaro rs and I've been trying to work with my fuse box to install a cb radio, but no luck. I'm really confused by the fuse box, it looks as if it's newer than what I'm used to, the traditional soldering method for basic things. My fuse box has cartridge type fuses that I can pop out with 2 metal pieces, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to wire that in? Sorry, probably a really simple question but any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open
Re: Problems with fuse box

Originally Posted by chaserob
Hey there, I have a 1990 camaro rs and I've been trying to work with my fuse box to install a cb radio, but no luck. I'm really confused by the fuse box, it looks as if it's newer than what I'm used to, the traditional soldering method for basic things. My fuse box has cartridge type fuses that I can pop out with 2 metal pieces, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to wire that in? Sorry, probably a really simple question but any help would be greatly appreciated!
really,,!! you dont have push in multicoloured plastic fuzes???? any way you can pull power from the battery thru a 15a fuse if you have to but i digress.you should be looking for the switched power 'acc ' on the fuse box .unless theres been drunken monkeys under there.its anyones guess. go sideband with a amp,youll walk waaay out there! good luck!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Problems with fuse box

Actually mine are the plastic ones, look kinda like cartridges. Ive located the acc, I'm just not sure how to physically get the wire in there, wrapped it around one of the metal ends? Or what?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Breaker One Nine

The Midland 13-880B.

Best sideband on the planet.

Transmit frequency is also adjustable where others only adjust receive.

You should not tap into the fuse box front because when the CB has a problem it will blow an automotive fuse which might leave the car disabled.

You should run a dedicated fuse connected to the B+ coming into the car from the firewall.

Size of the fuse should be indicated on the back of the CB.

Happy Racing!

My Brakes Don’t Work AT ALL When The Car Is In The Air