Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

help flickering headlights/not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help flickering headlights/not working

I was on the way home tonight and all of a sudden my headlights started flickering on and off high and low. (They were flickering and now they won't even cut on) The rest of my lights were/are working its just my headlights are not functioning correctly I've tryed the search function on the website and haven't come up with anything kst other people with similar problem and no solution the car is a 91 rs auto 305 any help would be awsome.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc
Re: help flickering headlights/not working

check youre headlight harness grounds. should be one on either side of the headlights.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Car: 85 Trans AM
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Same problem here, and i have also searched with no results on a fix. My car is an 85 TA and the lights began to "pulsate" at idle. Not just the headlights, but dash, dome, etc. If i give it a little gas the pulsating will speed up with the rpm's until i get to about1200 rpms at which point they seem to be on solid. My lights flip up and come on just fine, but sometimes if i leave it idle my headlights suddenly turn off. They stay up, but for some reason lose power. After a couple seconds they some back on. This does not happen going down the road at speed however.
Twice i've had them go out while driving when i was switching from low to high beams. They came back on when i went back to low. Last night i went through my headlight wiring and cleaned up the grounds on both sides. Also cleaned my batt terminals, and fender ground as well as the braided ground from the firewall to block.
None of that helped the pulsating even a little. When i started the car after cleaning the grounds i turned on the lights, fogs, and the heater. I then held my foot on the brake and watched the volt gauge drop to about 12-13. If i revved the motor just a little i would get a slight squeel from the alt belt. The belt is as tight as i dare go with it. Any more adjustment and i feel i run the risk of bearing damage.
As far as i know there is no reason it should put that much strain on the belt. The voltage never drops below 12 with everything on and idling, but it does make all the lights pulse like crazy, you can even hear the blower motor speed varying with each pulse. I guess im at a loss here as well. We seem to have similar problems with my headlights going on and off at times. There has to be a simple solution.
I'm going to remove my alt belt this afternoon and clean the pullys, clean the belt, reinstall. I'll report back weather i find anything. One other thing i noticed too was when i had the car idling and the headlights went out i heard a click, like a relay sound, it seemed to come from the center of the dash, i heard it again when the came back on. It could have been from the other side of the firewall too but i don't think i could have heard it if it did.
I'm going to check the connection on my starter too. I remember reading here someone else had an odd problem caused by a loose connection on the starter.
Sorry about the long windedness but i want to give as much detail as i can while i'm thinking about it.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:33 PM

Found the root cause of my problem. It was the connection to the dimmer switch. The person who had my car last jerry rigged the connectors (replaced the original connector) so me and a buddy of mine rehooked up some new ends and solved my problem.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Car: 85 Trans AM
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Ok, i'm going to check that next then. I didn't have any luck finding anything else today. Cleaning the pullys did nothing, and all connections were tight everywhere else. Ill check the swith connections tomorrow. Hopefully thats it.